eatSleepWoof gets a Winnie

eatSleepWoof

Do it for the 'gram
This morning I decided that the folding sofa/couch has got to go. Next year I'll build a dinette here, but for now I'll just place (and tie down) a baby crib. This will give our kid a much, much better place to sleep, and open up more room for us.

Original couch:

eNdVcZ5.jpeg

After removing just two screws, the entire thing slides off:

zyR690o.jpeg

Each of the armrests is held in place with two screws of its own, and can then be removed. The remaining couch & frame can be pivoted through the front door without any trouble. I removed and carried the whole couch single handedly. Difficult, but very doable.

iJDP4wk.jpeg

So much room for activities! Might remove the storage section in the near future, too. It does work as a good shelf to place things on, but otherwise serves no purpose.

pD14JJk.jpeg

Entire removal process took me about 45 mins, and most of that was man-handling the couch. Would have been a 15 minute job with a second pair of hands.

eatSleepWoof

Do it for the 'gram
Got rid of the rear storage, bought and setup the new crib ("mini" size, as opposed to a longer "full" size), and also re-used the table that would originally mount on the couch by mounting it in the corner. Will figure out some sort of strap/tie-down option for the crib to ensure it doesn't move in transit. This setup should work beautifully for the next year or so, until I'm ready to build the new dinette.

6LnbBgt.jpeg

rHAUF2f.jpeg

eatSleepWoof

Do it for the 'gram
So if I understand the layout correctly, currently there is no indoor dining area?

That's right. I was supposed to be buying a trailer with a dinette, but after driving 7+ hours to the dealership (High River, AB) and spending the night, I discovered that they used a generic set of photos for all trailers, and the only remaining trailer (mine) had a stupid couch instead of the dinette, a different fridge, different door handles, etc. They gave me some concessions as a result of their mistake, but still, I'd have preferred a dinette to begin with.

I'll build a (better than OEM) dinette next year - already got it mostly planned out in my head.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
That's right. I was supposed to be buying a trailer with a dinette, but after driving 7+ hours to the dealership (High River, AB) and spending the night, I discovered that they used a generic set of photos for all trailers, and the only remaining trailer (mine) had a stupid couch instead of the dinette, a different fridge, different door handles, etc. They gave me some concessions as a result of their mistake, but still, I'd have preferred a dinette to begin with.

I'll build a (better than OEM) dinette next year - already got it mostly planned out in my head.
Oh wow! That must've been terribly annoying. Glad they gave you some concessions... but still....

eatSleepWoof

Do it for the 'gram
Oh wow! That must've been terribly annoying. Glad they gave you some concessions... but still....
Absolutely. Especially since during the negotiations by phone in the days prior, I specifically discussed the trailer having the dinette, the salesman confirmed, and even made a comment that trailers with couches (instead of dinettes) are harder to sell, and how I was making the right choice by going with a dinette. I asked the guy to put eyes on the trailer and make sure everything was on the up & up before I drove over, and he said he did. I was not a happy camper when I walked into the trailer for the first time...

eatSleepWoof

Do it for the 'gram
Installed a backup camera into the existing camera-mount location. The wiring attached there is powered by running lights, so the camera will only turn on when the running lights are on - just fine by me; probably one of the better options.

dUXtkAU.jpeg

gIFkJTS.jpeg

Camera has pretty good quality. In the photo there's actually a protective film on the camera lens (which I forgot to remove); it's even nicer now that the film is gone. Lots of adjustability for camera angles, and lots of options in the monitor itself, both in regards to picture layout and multi-camera support.

Also loaded up the basket with quite a bit of firewood for tomorrow's camping trip. We'll see how extra weight behind the axle works out.

tARaQUi.jpeg

Last edited:

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Installed a backup camera into the existing camera-mount location. The wiring attached there is powered by running lights, so the camera will only turn on when the running lights are on - just fine by me; probably one of the better options.

dUXtkAU.jpeg

gIFkJTS.jpeg

Camera has pretty good quality. In the photo there's actually a protective film on the camera lens (which I forgot to remove); it's even nicer now that the film is gone. Lots of adjustability for camera angles, and lots of options in the monitor itself, both in regards to picture layout and multi-camera support.

Also loaded up the basket with quite a bit of firewood for tomorrow's camping trip. Will see how extra weight behind the axle this works out.

tARaQUi.jpeg
What kind of backup camera is that?

When we bought our trailer last year, it came with a backup camera installed.

Not sure if it's the distance from the camera to the screen or just a crappy system but the video looks like it was shot with a 1980's CCTV crossed with a potato.

I angled mine up a little more than yours so it acts like a rearview mirror when we are driving down the highway. Nice to be able to see what's behind the trailer.

eatSleepWoof

Do it for the 'gram
What kind of backup camera is that?

When we bought our trailer last year, it came with a backup camera installed.

Not sure if it's the distance from the camera to the screen or just a crappy system but the video looks like it was shot with a 1980's CCTV crossed with a potato.

I angled mine up a little more than yours so it acts like a rearview mirror when we are driving down the highway. Nice to be able to see what's behind the trailer.
This is the one I got. Simple install, just needs a positive & ground, and the wiring looks to be 20 gauge, so I'd guess super low current draw.

It was supposed to come with a suction cup (one's visible in photos), but of course did not, so the proper mounting will have to wait until a separate suction cup arrives.

I mostly got it for parking at home and ensuring I don't hit the house's roof overhang while backing up, but I do also like the idea of seeing directly behind me on the road, so I might do what you did and angle it up a bit.

eatSleepWoof

Do it for the 'gram
Another great weekend on the books!

7CexY06.jpeg

ovp1f7q.jpeg

00iKCUF.jpeg

3XKVmHY.jpeg

WaCN1xx.jpeg

Got to test out my portable water pump, which worked beautifully. Refilled the trailer from the lake in minutes!

The wireless backup camera also proved to be invaluable when backing up ~100m on a somewhat tight FSR (to get to the spot in the last photo). I was able to clearly see exactly what's behind me, the distance from the trailer to the water, etc. Very, very helpful.

Last edited:

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Another great weekend on the books!

7CexY06.jpeg

ovp1f7q.jpeg

00iKCUF.jpeg

3XKVmHY.jpeg

WaCN1xx.jpeg

Got to test out my portable water pump, which worked beautifully. Refilled the trailer from the lake in minutes!

The wireless backup camera also proved to be invaluable when backing up ~100m on a somewhat tight FSR (to get to the spot in the last photo). I was able to clearly see exactly what's behind me, the distance from the trailer to the water, etc. Very, very helpful.
Awesome site! Looks like a great trip!

We head out for our 1st trip of the year next weekend.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger