eatSleepWoof gets a Winnie

eatSleepWoof

Do it for the 'gram
These Winnies are rather notorious for having the fresh water tanks fall out, especially for those that use them on a lot of FSRs or other rough roads. I knew going into the purchase that this is something I'll have to address sooner rather than later. This weekend I pulled off a bunch of the underbelly coroplast and got to work.

The first thing I see is that there is a downward dip in both the fresh water gravity fill hose (the big, 1.5" one), and the water tank breather (clear, behind the fill). This explains the "gurgling" I encounter every time I fill up the tank.

v79imI6.jpeg

The cross-members that support the water tank, as well as the angle-iron tank reinforcement (this is thankfully present on my trailer, but is not on all of them) are all held in place with fairly small self-tapping screws. This looks to be the weakest point of the whole mounting system, as these screws will eventually either back out, or rust and snap. Outside of the screws, this tank setup will work just fine. Not how I would have designed it, but it is what it is and there's not much sense in trying to make it something it's not.

Front cross member supporting the tank:

E3z1w0O.jpeg

Angle-iron reinforcement under the tank:

yqs6SvI.jpeg

I replaced all of the self-tapping screws with 5/16" bolts, nylocks, and washers on all cross members and the angle-iron support:

RNw2DhN.jpeg

yeo8nUy.jpeg

On the rear cross member I also added a D-ring on each side of the frame's interior:

2T1V92u.jpeg

BBVgNWv.jpeg

I ran a ratchet strap from one D-ring, under the tank, around the front cross member, back to the other D-ring, and then back to the front cross member again, where the ratchet strap secures and terminates. This strap is really not all that necessary IMO, but it won't hurt.

aykP90q.jpeg

I shortened the gravity fill tube in order to eliminate that bottom dip, and as I fully expected, it started leaking at that fitting. After 5 attempts of trying to get it to stop leaking without sealants (each time having to fill & drain the tank), I gave up and used Sikaflex 291 on the intake itself (before sliding the hose overtop), as well as at the base of the hose. Sikaflex 291 is rated for potable water and direct food contact - lucky me, I had it on hand. The original setup did have silicone on it, so it looks like they struggle with getting these leak-free at the factory, too. I honestly hate these types of spiral hoses, as they are always very, very difficult to get leak-free.

In any case, final, leak-free fill:

fUri3vI.jpeg

I still have to fix the dip in the breather, but I'll do that from the interior.

Note that the tank reinforcement cross member is a full 2" below the original bottom of the tank, but the tank deflects that much from the weight of water. I've tried putting square tube bracing in between the tank and the original reinforcement (in a variety of ways), but all that did was create a high point that still allowed the tank to bend-down on other sides of the support.

ypGw3p2.jpeg

While I was down there I decided to replace the original drain tube, too. My original turned out to have algae in it (despite the tanks being sanitized w/ bleach just ~two months ago), and it also had a crappy, annoying, and hard-to-reach valve. (I suspect the clear tube, which allowed UV in, contributed to the algae growth.)

q4ERieb.jpeg

So I replaced that drain with 3/4" PEX and ran it closer to the tire, where I can actually reach it. I may secure this to the frame down the line, but I'll leave it for now. The drain does move/change angle as the tank fills or drains, so I wouldn't want to have a fixed attachment point in any case.

gix2YtT.jpeg

Put the coroplast back on, sprayed it with expanding foam, done.

--

Sometime closer to next weekend I'll be installing a new spare tire hoist under the trailer, just forward of the tank (that's why that part of the belly is still open). Waiting for parts.

Last edited:

eatSleepWoof

Do it for the 'gram
Yet another generator-box attempt, this time using 1.5" Rockwool...

I first applied a layer of this Rockwool inside the original box, and that definitely helped, but since I had plenty of leftover material, I decided to make a box from purely Rockwool, doubled-up.

p9mG9Ks.jpeg

This box performed even better. Standing at about 2m away from the generator running at full blast (powering AC in the trailer), I measured a 8.8db loss with the Rockwool box. Similar loss numbers when standing behind the trailer, about 30ft away from the generator. These tests were performed with the generator on concrete, and it was already quite tolerable. On dirt/grass I should see another ~6db loss (as I saw in my previous tests).

I'm going to pick up some 1/4" plywood, sandwich layers of it with the Rockwool, and wrap each panel in waterproof fabric (already have it on hand). Then I'll figure out a way to make the panels dis/assemble for ease of storage and transport. This'll work!

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Very cool upgrades. Bunch of stuff I'd like to do to my trailer. Just never seem to find the time. Also, whenever it's nice enough out to do projects... I don't want to be doing projects, haha... Our trailer is also stored when not in use so that makes it difficult too.

eatSleepWoof

Do it for the 'gram
Added three pieces of 1/4" plywood to each panel (sandwiching the two pieces of insulation within each), then upholstered them, and installed some eye-bolts. Straps hold everything together. Turned out pretty well, although the extra 1/4" plywood (in between the two pieces of insulation) definitely threw off my original, tight fit. And I had to have this plywood in order to have something to staple the fabric to. I'm hoping my design of these pieces still works well enough to not allow sound to escape through the joints.

These particular straps ("rated for 1000lb each") are utter trash and are going back to Amazon. After fully tightening them, the slightest force loosens them. Completely useless. I do have other straps I'm a fan of, so will be using those.

8AEisej.jpeg

5AWdbqC.jpeg

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Mounted the BAL retract-a-spare forward of the water tank. Very simple, quick install.

Bottom of the tire is above the upper edge of the axle, so plenty of clearance retained.

I'll put the coroplast back on soon, and the tire will sandwich it to the new tire mount/rests.

tmguKtE.jpeg

ioDdJjl.jpeg

Kfq7OEb.jpeg

qyHTWn8.jpeg

wkAfv6u.jpeg

ez90IJe.jpeg
Guessing you moved the spare for better weight distribution proposes?

I was thinking of doing the same with my trailer as my spare is mounted on the tongue.

With 2 lead batteries, 2 full 20 lb propane tanks my tongue is already heavy enough without taking into account a spare mounted to it as well.

eatSleepWoof

Do it for the 'gram
Guessing you moved the spare for better weight distribution proposes?

I was thinking of doing the same with my trailer as my spare is mounted on the tongue.

With 2 lead batteries, 2 full 20 lb propane tanks my tongue is already heavy enough without taking into account a spare mounted to it as well.
Yes, and no.

My trailer has been very stable, even with some ~300lbs of firewood in the cargo basket hanging off the rear (as far behind the axles as you can get). Moving the ~60lbs of spare tire to forward of the axle will only improve stability, and make it that much easier for me to keep carrying lots of firewood.

More importantly for my own use is that now I'll be able to fold-up the hitch basket when it's not in use. The spare tire got in the way and didn't allow the basket to be folded up, which made it super inconvenient with my storage/driveway situation. (With the basket setup flat, I have to edge sideways in between the basket, corner of the house, and straight down a staircase in order to go around the trailer. It's a question of time before someone falls.)

The basket is also designed with a threaded bolt (instead of a normal hitch-pin) holding it in place, which I do like, but it makes it a pain to remove/install the basket. So by not having the tire on the rear I can now leave the basket in place, simply fold it up, and have the best of all worlds, so to speak.

Weight on the tongue is a good thing - it drastically helps with stability. That is, of course, so long as your tow vehicle can handle the weight being added, and the frame of the trailer itself can handle the weight. No issues with either of those factors in my case, so I'm happy to have more weight forward of the axle. (Keep in mind I've got four, 20L jerry cans on the tongue, too.)

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Weight on the tongue is a good thing - it drastically helps with stability. That is, of course, so long as your tow vehicle can handle the weight being added, and the frame of the trailer itself can handle the weight. No issues with either of those factors in my case, so I'm happy to have more weight forward of the axle. (Keep in mind I've got four, 20L jerry cans on the tongue, too.)
For sure. I've got room there. Payload on my truck is 1,777lbs. Hitch weight is 728 lbs.

For me it seems inconvenient to mount the spare there. I'd rather have it on the back bumper for ease of access.

I was also thinking that by moving the spare of the tongue, I may be able to carry a couple bikes there instead.

Oddly enough when I google imaged tongue mounted Bike Rack, the trailer that popped up below is the same as mine... Funny.

71Wl1NL1XOL.jpg

Tex68w

Beach Bum
It's wild how little attention to detail and execution they put into the underside of this trailer. Glad to see you making the much needed improvements to their lackluster fit and finish.

eatSleepWoof

Do it for the 'gram
It's wild how little attention to detail and execution they put into the underside of this trailer. Glad to see you making the much needed improvements to their lackluster fit and finish.
The worst part is that they are basically all like this. The fibreglass trailers with a fully enclosed underbelly are probably the only exception to this rule.

eatSleepWoof

Do it for the 'gram
I've put together a new drain for the hot water heater. This retains a plastic fitting on the heater itself (allowing it to melt should the water get too hot - as in the original design), but also gives me a valve to control the drainage, which will make regularly draining the heater (so as to prevent any bacterial growth inside) much, much easier.

iJNDrPq.jpeg

QROW6dd.jpeg

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I've put together a new drain for the hot water heater. This retains a plastic fitting on the heater itself (allowing it to melt should the water get too hot - as in the original design), but also gives me a valve to control the drainage, which will make regularly draining the heater (so as to prevent any bacterial growth inside) much, much easier.

iJNDrPq.jpeg

QROW6dd.jpeg

In order to fully drain the Suburban water heater in my trailer you have to pull the anode rod which is a PITA. This is much better.

Last edited:

Mekcanix

Camper

iJNDrPq.jpeg

QROW6dd.jpeg
Mine has the Anode as well. I always end up with a bit of water in the forward compartment very irritating. I really like this set up much better

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nchamp