Enduro Campers - New Composite Wedge Camper

dstefan

Finished product looks awesome on your PW!
I was there to tour their shop and chat with the guys back when your camper was still a shell and that beautiful PW was sitting there sans bed.
Keep us posted, would love to hear your experiences, I am in the que for SuperTourer for my Tundra if will work for the CrewMax. Mine will have to be a bit different due to the 2nd gen Tundra C-channel frame (will need Spring isolation mounts) and short bed (no "garage")
So, did you eventually get one on a 2nd gen Tundra? Curious, as their website only lists the camper as for 22+ Tundras at this point.

Ditchmonkey

I really like the idea of a lightweight bed replacement camper, but IMO the Enduro has missed the mark on the internal layout. Most of the reason for all the cost and complexity of a flatbed camper is in the distinct improvement in layout options–specifically in the ability to have a nice dinette surrounded by windows as seen in campers like Nimbl, AT Alterra, and even FWC. I see the rear door of the Enduro is too far back for a dinette, but I wonder if one could be made against the far wall (opposite the door). Spending that much on a camper and getting rid of the truck bed just to still be stuck with an awkward seating arrangement and a Lagun table that has to be removed to get out of the way is disappointing.

Hopefully Enduro will come up with some alternative layout options.

sn_85

Observer
I really like the idea of a lightweight bed replacement camper, but IMO the Enduro has missed the mark on the internal layout. Most of the reason for all the cost and complexity of a flatbed camper is in the distinct improvement in layout options–specifically in the ability to have a nice dinette surrounded by windows as seen in campers like Nimbl, AT Alterra, and even FWC. I see the rear door of the Enduro is too far back for a dinette, but I wonder if one could be made against the far wall (opposite the door). Spending that much on a camper and getting rid of the truck bed just to still be stuck with an awkward seating arrangement and a Lagun table that has to be removed to get out of the way is disappointing.

Hopefully Enduro will come up with some alternative layout options.

I disagree, I think that layout makes the most sense and provides the most storage space and seating area. You can't compare it to a Nimbl camper, that's built off a 8' foot bed chassis so it's noticeably larger inside compared to the other campers. I find the rear dinette layout that most campers use feels tight and cramped inside. You feel like you're in a confined box and you have to squeeze by the kitchenette to sit down. At most you can have only two people sitting at the same time. In the Enduro, with a front U or L-shaped dinette you can easily seat 3-4 people. That also opens up space considerably as well. I've been inside the Aterra XL, OEV HBE, Nimbl, Hawk Flatbed and Enduro camper. I preferred the Enduro layout much more and essentially convinced me to do a similar layout in my Total Composites camper.

KDB

I'm very interested to see the progress of this.

I contacted Enduro campers and have yet to receive anything back from them.

Their website has some minimal information about build design but overall seems pretty sparse.

My concerns with the supertourer are not having any isolation between the habitat and truck frame. Flexation and rough roads do wonderful things to boxes on trucks. I'm curious how they've mitigated the impacts of terrain changes over the lifespan of a composite walled camper. This design is a world away from a topper on a truck bed.

I'm also curious how fiberglass reinforced plastic paneling holds up to the stresses of overland travel. I know total composites, companies like OEV and bison overland use composites, but we the consumers can be getting very different products that are grouped under the term "composite construction" and they most certainly are not all the same.
Most of what I've read looks like you need backers and Additional support systems to maintain structural integrity on installations that are not mobile, and designing exo skeletal structures comprising of aluminum rails only solves half the issue.

Fiberglass reinforced plastic can't handle heat at all. Like not even a little bit.
It becomes brittle and can crack or fail with exposure to heat, the sun or other ultraviolet light, which means a coating must be applied and then maintained along with all the sealants and glues that hold together the structure.

According to the Enduro supertourer pages, they have composite panelling on the entire structure including the roof and floor. Structural monocoque means their is no subframe system, beams or underneath system other than the shell itself to support everything this is comprised of, and using fiberglass reinforced plastic with little to no signs of wear before failure seems like a sketchy idea to me, however I would love to be proven wrong, as this is a really cool design.

If this idea was executed in a welded aluminum or sheet metal frame I would have already put a deposit on one. Even better if we could have hard sided pop up walls and aluminum substructure
I built out an entire auto trailer interior with highly fire resistant frp. Right frp for the right job.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy