Eurosonic's Montero 2.5Gen Build Thread

Mudrunner

Adventurer
Ahh it's not that hard if you have the specs and tools. I mean as long as you have specs for both rigs if different, and have all the shims you might need it will be fine. just trust your gut. nothing on a car is that hard if you take your time.

SoCalMonty

Explorer
Ahh it's not that hard if you have the specs and tools. I mean as long as you have specs for both rigs if different, and have all the shims you might need it will be fine. just trust your gut. nothing on a car is that hard if you take your time.

Pretty much true. Nothing complex about installing a set of gears in a rear end. Rebuilding an automatic trans? *THAT* is complex. Gears aren't any more complex than, say, installing a camshaft. Actually...gears are more simple than that. A lot less parts involved.

I can do it for pizza and beer if you're near Orange County, CA. :)

Justice R

Adventurer
The issue with setting up a used ring and pinion is that the gears wear in the old rig a certain way, and when you install those gears in a new housing and carrier of the new rig, it can make it impossible to read the mesh pattern accurately. This is why a lot of shops wont install used sets, since they cant accurately read the mesh pattern, the quality of the set up may be unkown. Like anything, its a risk. Personally when I swap the 4.90's into my 99 I'll probably go with new for the rear and a used set for the front. Since the rear gets the most use and load it is of the most concern. One thing of note also, the later Sports that we are looking at as donors are all wheel drive so the front R&P may show significant wear as well.

Last edited:

Monterorider

Adventurer
Gen 3 01-02 XLS had 4.9 as well and part-time t-case so front will be pretty much intact. I'd still suggest getting whole front axle/diff carrier. That might require swapping diff companion flange and monkeying with brackets but still lot less hassle than setting up gears. Front end uses shims to adjust backlash rather than side nuts like on rear diff. If original shims won't work you would need to get whole new set for like $60-100 or have them machined or something. And of course that would be perfect timing to get front ARB locker in.

Justice R

Adventurer
I've seen the front diff assemblies from Gen 3's relatively cheap from time to time. I was just unsure of the fitment into a gen 2. Anyone tried it yet? I've noticed the front cover is different but holes for mounts/brackets appear to be about the same but that's just looking at it without taking any measurments. That would make the swap to 4'90's way easier.

eurosonic

Expedition Leader
Couple of pics from the last trip with guys on EXPO.

Full trip report>>> http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...-Stanislaus-National-Forest-November-4-6-2012

IMG_2748copy.jpg

IMG_2733copy.jpg

panoramacars.jpg

panoramaview.jpg

eurosonic

Expedition Leader
Quick update on what Ive been up to.

Picked up a homebrewed safari rack that was originally on a XJ jeep. Rack was not in the best shape, so I decided to freshen it up with new paint and hardware. Rack came with a new set of KC Daylighters and some cheapo' lights in the back. Maybe will use them later.

The rack was about 60 miles away from me, so I took the family wagon to pick it up. Figure I could just strap it on and go.

IMG_1892.jpg

IMG_1893.jpg

Sprayed some paint remover. Never tried using that stuff before. Paint comes off almost instantly.

IMG_0572.jpg

IMG_0573.jpg

Cleaned up the mounts. Old, polished, painted.

IMG_0575.jpg

After some metal brushing was ready to paint.

IMG_0577.jpg

Couple of cans of Rostolium later..

IMG_0594.jpg

Rack is a good size for the monteros roof.

IMG_3010.jpg

IMG_3007.jpg

IMG_3004.jpg

IMG_3005.jpg

IMG_2997.jpg

IMG_3008.jpg

Also as a temporary solution before I fab up the bumper, mounted the HiLift on the rear frame rails.

IMG_3011.jpg

Not much to it, welded L brackets and couple of bolts. Fit there perfect. Gate closes w/o problem.

IMG_3014.jpg

IMG_3016.jpg

shmabs

Explorer
Rack looks like a good fit! I really like how it attaches to your rails, that whole clamp setup seems pretty slick. And of course, your B6 a4a is gorgeous.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DQblues