Eurosonic's Montero 2.5Gen Build Thread

gaston7

Observer
Arb bumper for $125, roof rack for $150!!! Wowzers

Hey man...sorry if you answered this on another post, but where did you pick up your roof rack. It's exactly what im lookin for, but just cant seem to find a used one anywhere close to $150. Much appreciated my friend.

eurosonic

Expedition Leader
Hey man...sorry if you answered this on another post, but where did you pick up your roof rack. It's exactly what im lookin for, but just cant seem to find a used one anywhere close to $150. Much appreciated my friend.

Roof rack is a garvin wilderness knockoff that was originally on a XJ. I bought a used one for $200.

SoCalMonty

Explorer
Gotcha. Thanks man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It looks similar to the racks they sell at Wal-Mart that are like $99. Of course, you'll probably need gutter mounts too. I was thinking of picking one of those up and stretching it a little if I needed it larger by adding in a small section. But keep an eye on CL too.

Dimitri...what city were you in with the snow? And the cabins? I miss storms like that!!! Looks like fun! :)

Mudrunner

Adventurer
Since roof racks was brought up I found this site a while ago, I have no idea of quality but it seems like good prices to me. They have a large selection of racks and reasonable prices.

www.discountramps.com

I have not ordered one but am thinking about it in the future.

eurosonic

Expedition Leader
Time to get this pig regeared

anyvusa4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JamesW

Adventurer
Best of luck with that,its not a hard job,but it's a time consuming one. What ratios you putting in? I looked at the 5.2s for you,but they are the very smallest gears you could get for them,so they wouldn't last too long.

eurosonic

Expedition Leader
Are you swapping entire f&r diffs off a locking sport, or just swapping gears?

Rear ring and pinion only, from a nonlocking Sport. Front Im going to give a try using the complete Sport diff w/o using any of the factory actuator rod and vacuum lines that came stock on our 2.5 gens. If im having issues Ill pull it and swap over the gears to the original housing and keep all the factory junk mentioned above. Ill post pics of the conversion once Im done. Leaving on a trip this friday so trying to finish up in a hurry.

eurosonic

Expedition Leader
Last week I installed 4.9 gears into my truck.

I am so impressed with how the truck now drives. Much better power delivery.

Before the transmission would switch to 4th gear even at a slight incline. It no longer does that. Crawls better as well. Before I would get a transmission whine when going up steep rocks, thats gone as well. Takes off from the light with ease.

Here are some pics I took of the build. This isn't DIY, but if anyone has any questions Ill be happy to answer.

This is the donor truck. 2002 Montero Sport XLS 3.5L with non locking differential. Came from PicknPull in Fairfield, CA.

Removed the entire differential assembly.

This is the sticker to look out for to see what gears it has.

With some basic hand tools and wrenches me and a buddy were able to pull the thing in 40 min.

The rear we did a day before, I didn't take any pics then. It was easier than doing the front.

Factory rear ring and pinion

4.9 pinion gear installed

Replaced the old pinion seal with a new one. $11

4.9 ring gear on left, factory 4.27 on right.

Putting it back together. Cleaned all of the parts from oil build up.

New bearing over the factory locker air diaphragm.

A mechanic friend of mine helped with setting the gears right.

Here is the difference between the front diff in Montero sport (left) and factory (right)

I decided to install the complete Montero Sport diff without moving over any of the shifting mechanism and vacuum lines from the factory unit. I moved over the factory mounts and bolted it up to the truck.

Here is the 4.9 diff before I moved over the mounts.

Before installation I replaced the axle seals. $6 each.

Bolted it all back up, put fresh oil. Everything works real well. Now I have flashing lights when I go into 4wd. There is no sensor in front diff so thats something that Ill have to live with. It doesn't bother me much because it only flashes when Im in 4wd.

Here is a pic from past weekends outing.

2e7arese.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk