Exped Storage Boxes

stevenmd

Expedition Leader
anyone know if those Wolf boxes seal up or are they going to let in water and dust while on the top of the Heep

You would have to plug up the holes with something. I think I am going to order a few for use inside the truck. A heck of a lot cheaper than Pelicans!

go4aryd

Adventurer
I will let you know - I do not know if the holes shown are only on an outer layer or actually penetrate the box (hard to belive that would be the case).

I will let you know - I do not know if the holes shown are only on an outer layer or actually penetrate the box (hard to belive that would be the case).

Cool.. I hope they are waterproof as these would be perfect for my storage needs.. the ammo box ones from SA seem to be but you never know with out inferior US products HEHE

davegonz

Explorer
Check out the ones here with the Hannibal liners/organizers.

http://www.rooftent.co.uk/webpages/hannibal/accessories.html

box+liner.jpg

kitchen-lining-open.jpg

Spikepretorius

Explorer
The Wolf packs, and the ones from Hannibal, are basically a South African Army ammo case.
They are the standard packing box for overlanding.
There are many accessories for them as well, such as the inner bag you see in Dave's post, also bags that hold 2 or 3 boxes for on roof racks. There's foam inserts for holding plates and whatnot.
They also come with a high lid option

The main complaint about them is that big round things either don't fit in them or waste a lot of space.

The recent trend is to move to packing systems with drawers and just pack your stuff directly into the drawers without using boxes.

If you do buy Wolf packs make sure to get a stash of spare clips. They tend to break or go missing.

RHINO

Expedition Leader
next time you find yourself cruising nevada, or around death valley. make the trip to Beatty NV. there is a guy in town who literally has a couple acres of military boxes, all sizes, all shapes, both metal and plastic. he is always getting shipments. he must have a website, or ebay seller cause its an awfull lot for a small town guy.
i bought a couple that are similar to but not the wolfe packs, they are good and seal well. i also use a couple sizes of action packers, these are good boxes also for a nice price.

Tom and Elaine

Observer
I keep going back to my action packers every time I have a "better idea" that doesn't work. We have one for the back of the FJ designated as the "dry box" for those food items that don't require the cooler. One in the Tentrax with the "kitchen" (stove etc) a smaller one with a little of everything not consumable and last but not least one on the tongue rack with tools, fuel for the stove and anything else that I don't want inside of the truck or trailer. Works good for us... T&E

socaljeeper

Adventurer
I keep going back to my action packers every time I have a "better idea" that doesn't work. We have one for the back of the FJ designated as the "dry box" for those food items that don't require the cooler. One in the Tentrax with the "kitchen" (stove etc) a smaller one with a little of everything not consumable and last but not least one on the tongue rack with tools, fuel for the stove and anything else that I don't want inside of the truck or trailer. Works good for us... T&E

I have been wanting to get some of those action packers. Does anyone have any info where they are available in-stores. I have been only able to find them online.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
I have been wanting to get some of those action packers. Does anyone have any info where they are available in-stores. I have been only able to find them online.

I've bought them at Walmart, and REI. Problem is they waste alot of space because of their shape at the bottom.

Rallyroo

Expedition Leader
I've bought them at Walmart, and REI. Problem is they waste alot of space because of their shape at the bottom.

That's why I don't like the Action Packer. I bought one, tested it, and didn't really like it's inefficient use of space. And when stacked, the top Action Packer can slide around.

go4aryd

Adventurer
The wolf boxes I just ordered arrived from Slee early Friday (wow, lightning fast for UPS ground!). So, I took one with me overnight to the desert. It is just starting to dry up enough for travel, except where I was headed. Oh, well. Late and wet spring weather is the new normal around here these days.

The good:
The boxes are a perfect shape and size for my FJCruiser, which is limited both in depth as well as width in the rear storage area. My empty boxes weighed in at about 6 and half lbs each with the lid. For cold weather use, I can easily fit four boxes and still have lots of room for stuff (like tripods, chains, etc). For summer, the fridge will be on the passenger's side, two boxes will be on the left (across the back), still leaving good room for the things that always need a home, in front of them. (BTW - the Zarges boxes seem sized a little more difficult for my storage area. Their dims are a bit more rectangular, or are a bit too big.)

The holes you can see in the side of the Wolf boxes are superficial and do not penetrate the box. There are, however four small drain holes in the bottom (could easily be plugged or taped over). The boxes were easy to get into, even with one hand. They stack together great. I didn't have any trouble with them and used them to store stuff overnight on my rack.

The bad (IMO):
The latch design is a bit of a pain. I was not able to easily close them with a single hand (often the case), and of course, the lid is not hinged. It is clipped in four places, as expected. That makes them a bit inconvenient and also exposes the clips (which hang from the lid) to potential breakage. I will be looking for some spare clips. This inconvenience caused by single-handed operation may lessen as I use them more and more (technique is the offspring of repetition!) The only other downside I experienced is the type of plastic used for construction does seem to hold static electricity - which attracts dust. I am hopeful that is due to shipping with peanuts, and won't actually be a problem during regular use. I think the boxes are a little pricy, but there is no real substitute. Action packers are space hogs, and I hate the thick, awkward lids. Other plastic containers don't seem to latch tight, my smaller snaptight containers are a good example of that. Pelicans are heavy and expensive. Zarges sizes don't offer the flexibilty I am hoping for.

The Ugly:
Black is not my favorite for several reasons, including can't find anything at night, gets too hot in the sun, etc. Next two I hope I can get in a grey, olive, or sand color. Just a few pix of the boxes.

Img_4257.jpg

Img_4258.jpg

Img_4261.jpg

Img_4266.jpg

Img_4267.jpg

Img_4268.jpg

Img_4269.jpg

Img_4270.jpg

Thanks to all those who chimed in. Keep the storage ideas coming!!!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy