Expedition Overland 2013 Tacoma Build

ExpeditionOverland

Supporting Sponsor
Plannerman, we actually just gave the mudflaps a trim. We hope to preserve the paint som on the side. However, we fully anticipate loosing them eventually.

yukonflyer

Observer
Gas cans

Truck looks great!

Where do you find those gas cans? I've been looking everywhere for some like that.
Thanks!

soonenough

Explorer
Where do you find those gas cans? I've been looking everywhere for some like that.
They look like 20L Wedco/NATO pre-CARB jerry cans that have been painted satin black. That style can with the cam-lock lid is no longer produced due to federal legislation passed a few years back; they still sell the same can but with a screw-on-type CARB-compliant cap instead of the cam-style lid. Tons of info on them here.

You can still buy the old NATO style cans on eBay, surplus stores, craigslist, etc, but they're usually pretty expensive. If you're willing to spend $196, you can get 4 brand new ones shipped from Deustch-Optik.com here.

ExpeditionOverland

Supporting Sponsor
Regearing the Tacoma.

We headed out to Justdifferentials.com shop in Wenatchee, Washington to have our 100 series land cruiser and our new 2013 Toyota Tacoma Regeared.
Video here:http://www.xoverland.com/videos/nitro-gears-and-air-lockers-installed/

Gears: 4:56 gears. NITRO gears.
We found that the gears increased our RPMS at 70 MPH by 350+ RPMS running the 285/75/R16 Tires.

Our low range first gear is so slow we can "slowly Stroll" by the vehicle as it idles downhill. AKA AWESOME!!!

The Gears will dramatically help when the vehicle becomes heavier. The pep and power will still be available and the engine will not have to work as hard on the starts as well as the hills during Highway travel. We do have a 70 MPH speed limit within our fleet and this regearing has had zero negative effects. We see only possitive so far. Look for our video coming out later this month on our time in Washington at JTs.

We also have not seen any major fuel economy side effects either. We actually anticipate to get better milage than if we had not regeared with all the weight to come.

We truely think this is one of the best upgrades we can do to the truck. Its an unseen upgrade but everytime you step into the rig you remember and its pretty sweet!

4K4A8083_zps56e3e844.jpg

4K4A8075_zps40883b6b.jpg

4K4A8067_zpse89c2be9.jpg

4K4A8062_zps816579f8.jpg

4K4A8056_zpsec683f2b.jpg

4K4A8055_zpsc0de176e.jpg

4K4A8027_zps562ed496.jpg

4K4A8026_zps5cb8e8da.jpg

4K4A8025_zpse6c71db4.jpg

4K4A8024_zps2705dffe.jpg

4K4A8023_zpsad455352.jpg

4K4A8021_zps00a2db10.jpg

4K4A8020_zpsaa06d1c9.jpg

4K4A8018_zpsa6fcc135.jpg

Last edited:

Greenmonkey

Adventurer
I wish I would have known you guys were in town, I live in Wenatchee. I would have loved to meet you guys. Good luck on your next trip, can't wait to see it.

ryanundertrees

Good choice on having the pros do that job. Just looking at the pics you can tell its almost critical to have the right tools and the right environment to trust that install over the long run.

ExpeditionOverland

Supporting Sponsor
There is No Way we would have wanted to do this ourselves. If you going to spend the money its well worth it to have pros do it. Another cool thing that JTs does is that they will build you a member and ship it to you. You just send the core back. That way you can still do the replacement but not have to worry about getting the shims exact and the torque specs screwed up and all the fine details that go along with doing a proper gear swap. The whole time we were there we kept saying how happy we were that they did the work.

digitaldelay

Explorer
Nice build!

I'd suggest taking the stock mudflats off. They will be more trouble than they are worth.

Plannerman, we actually just gave the mudflaps a trim. We hope to preserve the paint som on the side. However, we fully anticipate loosing them eventually.

I lost a Tacoma front flap backing up in a muddy parking lot one time. The Toyota dealership replaced it under warranty!

Jason

PGA

The truck sounds like its going to be great. Can you explain what your plan is for the aux fuel tank is? Thanks in advance.
Paul

hornytoad

Desert Geologist
x2 on fuel!! Are you going to go wit han aux tank or get a Custom Exhaust Specialties 42 gallon supertanker? You are already beefing up your suspension so the extra weight shouldn't be bad.

Awesome project!

My 0.02 from my 2012 tacoma worktruck build/crash and burn

Do the airbox mod (pull the backfire screen and the carbon filter out of the airbox) then you can use whatever brand of drop in filter you want, also you can run a snorkle. Be careful doing this as it's easy to get carried away and break the airbox. Allows the engine to rev a little freeer.

Hoseclamps - get some good metric hose clamps and replace the stupid spring clips that hold all the emissions gear hoses on. Don't overlook the vapor hoses above the rear diff as that is not clamped at all and with they ruin your gas mileage when it comes off.

Denso Iridium spark plugs- nice plugs, the hoseclaps, the airbox mod with a AFE dry filter and sparkplugs eliminate pinging on regular gas. Plus mpg goes up 1-2 mpg on highway cruising.
I was getting 18-19 at 4-6k feet with the cruise control at 75.

UPGRADE the brakes. These things have marginal brakes to begin with, SS lines, heavy duty pads, slotted rotors are highly recommended.

Have fun!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater