Expedition Overland - 2015 Season

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Did you guys ever find on either of your expeditions that you had superfluous equipment? Or that "why did I bring this?" moment? The flip side, did you ever find some random thing that ended up being way more important than you anticipated?

Absolutely and absolutely. I'd have to spend some time thinking particulars but yes.

zolo

Explorer
Kurt
Question for ya.. Why did the final edit blur out Adrian's business logo on his Prado? Can you share his shop info or is it a sponsorship issue? Just Curious. The 150 seemed to handle the terrain really well.

Good episode and great series. Looking forward to watching the rest of Panama episode.
When you guys decide to do South America We need to meet up👍

cruiseroutfit

Great episode! It was really impressive seeing the Tacoma pull those hills, I'm sure the 1500+ lbs extra helped a bit.

Agree - Methinks the supercharger didn't hurt the Tacoma too much either! :smiley_drive:

The Tacoma did surprisingly well in the mud, I think a combination of extra weight in the right circumstances, the manual transmission and the supercharger. It's a great truck, heavily loaded and tasked but it rocks on.

cruiseroutfit

Kurt
Question for ya.. Why did the final edit blur out Adrian's business logo on his Prado? Can you share his shop info or is it a sponsorship issue? Just Curious. The 150 seemed to handle the terrain really well.

Great question. His business is Geo4WD, a leading 4x4 retailer in that neck of the woods and Adrian is a fantastic guy. I really enjoyed getting to know him and the two of us have staying in touch and were able to hang at Overland Expo this year. The logo was a sponsor issue, it wasn't his shop logo but a competing product (not available in the US to my knowledge) but I'm guessing the production team didn't feel it would be fair to the sponsor that helped make the show happen.

Good episode and great series. Looking forward to watching the rest of Panama episode.
When you guys decide to do South America We need to meet up��

Deal!

rkj__

Adventurer
Like many others, I really enjoyed the last episode. I like seeing cool trucks drive around in mud and dirt.

Dr. Cornwallis

Adventurer
I haven't started the 2015 season yet but I'm hoping it holds true to the past. Going off the preview I saw on facebook I'm a little worried the XO team may be getting a little too "mainstream" for lack of a better term. I really liked the "friends on a sick road trip" feel I got from the early episodes and the Alaska Yukon trip. To be honest XO is what got me into overlanding too. I found there videos a few years ago on here and said "that's what I want to do."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zolo

Explorer
Great question. His business is Geo4WD, a leading 4x4 retailer in that neck of the woods and Adrian is a fantastic guy. I really enjoyed getting to know him and the two of us have staying in touch and were able to hang at Overland Expo this year. The logo was a sponsor issue, it wasn't his shop logo but a competing product (not available in the US to my knowledge) but I'm guessing the production team didn't feel it would be fair to the sponsor that helped make the show happen.

Deal!

Ahhhh Adrian is the old Venezuelan ARB dealer who left when things got even worse than they were. I was told he was the number one dealer in all of South America when he was down here!
That is super cool to have meet up with him in Costa Rica! Nice!

Well when You, Clay and the crew start planning for South America hit me up for sure. Be glad to help any way I can.

Again great stuff.

GeoRoss

Adventurer
The Tacoma did surprisingly well in the mud, I think a combination of extra weight in the right circumstances, the manual transmission and the supercharger. It's a great truck, heavily loaded and tasked but it rocks on.

Yeah, it looked like the Tacoma had an easier time with the mud. Was it the driver or the Tacoma itself do you think? I was surprised.

Dalko43

Explorer

Kurt, did the Tacoma have the same gearing and tires as the 4runners?

As for the weight, supercharger and manual transmission, would you mind explaining the technical/physical reasons for why those aspects gave the Tacoma an advantage in the mud? I'm perhaps asking some questions that have obvious answers, but I'm really interested in hearing your expert opinion on why the Tacoma performed so well....not that the 4runners weren't also impressive to watch.

Those 2 most recent episodes were a blast to watch by the way!

cruiseroutfit

...Was it the driver or the Tacoma itself do you think? I was surprised.

Kurt, did the Tacoma have the same gearing and tires as the 4runners?

As for the weight, supercharger and manual transmission, would you mind explaining the technical/physical reasons for why those aspects gave the Tacoma an advantage in the mud? I'm perhaps asking some questions that have obvious answers...

The Tacoma was re-geared by Just Differentials, so it has a bit more 'gidde-up', particularly with the supercharger. That combined with the ability to leave the manual in a desired gear gives the driver the wheel-spin needed to conquer mud and not worry about an errant shift. Not a huge factory but in that instance it played favor, there are times when the 4Runner's auto trans were the winners such as the tight, technical climbs we did on the side of the volcano earlier in the trip. Hope that answers both your questions. Thanks for watching!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater