Expeditions West: FZJ80 Land Cruiser

rain76king

Adventurer
Quote:
Originally Posted by rain76king
x2 on the trim packers. For whatever reason it seems that most OME lifts develope a lean. In most cases it's on the drivers side. These Trim Packers help level them out.
I have heard that this is only a problem with OME. Other brands such as Frankie's Off Road (For) and Ironman4x4, from what I have read, and heard first hand from owners is that it's not an issue.
I run OME Jsprings due to the amount of added armor/gear I carry and trailer tongue weight. I am starting to get the lean as well.
I look forward to this build, I'm quite excited.

Bob

80 series springs are of unequal length left / right - they may have been installed backwards and the trim packer added to even out the truck.

To add to the confusion they used to be marked driver / passenger side - being manufactured in Australia for RHD trucks...

I installed mine, I called Slee and Man-A-Fre and also spoke with the ARB Sales Rep. for the US and Canada before doing my install to double and triple check to avoid the issue. I researched for 2-3 years before I bought the truck so I could budget a semi decent build. While researching I noticed alot of complaints.
On IH8MUD theres a number of owners who installed the lift the propper way and still had this problem. I think that my bumper swingout/hi lift and norcold 60(there is weight on the otherside as well) may be a contributing factor but I know I installed them correctly.
the A and B are still on my springs.

Last edited:

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
Cool cruiser

Very cool rig. Having owned an 80 for about 1 1/2 years now, I know you'll be very pleased with the vehicle. As for mileage, apparently the engine was designed for 3 rebuilds if you ever drive it that long...

The only bit missing would be the 1HD-FTE (turbo diesel power...).

Enjoy the ride and the trip.

P

Ash

Adventurer
1112661055_jo87i-L.jpg

Are two roof bars enough for the Maggiolina plus occupants? I was recommendend at least 3.

Ash

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
Do you know if this was his personal 80 or one they had on trade? I've sold them a fair amount of parts I could look back and see if it was something they picked up from me.

Otherwise OME coils have a small tag on them that indicates the part number, usually mid coil. Amazingly they can often be read years after the install. The alternative method is to take them out an measure against OME's specs

Kurt,
This was his personal vehicle for some time however we are unsure if he did the mods himself or if they came already done when he aquired it.

I picked it up from Salt Lake City, drove it to Las Vegas for SEMA and then back to AZ to spend a week with it out in the desert covering a lot of terrain.

From highway to the trail this thing just puts a smile on your face! :sombrero:

Brian

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
How long are you going to be there? I'm there on friday, perhaps we could meet up for a pint

I am in Bracknell now, just east of London. Friday is open, let me know!

I will post a better update for the truck as soon as I get over the jetlag...and the lost of my carry-on by AA

Guambomb

Adventurer
Nice cruiser! I have a similar setup to yours with the Slee 2wd kit but I have the 45 gallon aux Front Runner tank with Slee 6 inch lift. If you're ever on a road trip on I-40 through Oklahoma City and need a place to crash for the night, hit me up.

fzj80_intro_3_.jpg

Fall2010Expedition314.jpg

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Thanks for the info about the spacer - thinking back at it, it makes sense given that the oversized fuel tank is on the left side.

Also, I want to thank BajaBound who has become one of the site sponsors and is providing insurance for the Mexican portion of the trip.

I must admit I was a bit more nervous to travel with this truck as it may attract more attention that I would like - good or bad.
I usually prefer to keep a lower profile.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Why, it looks pretty tame to me. Did you add a bunch of stickers and graphics or is it simply 'too clean'?

snip...
I must admit I was a bit more nervous to travel with this truck as it may attract more attention that I would like - good or bad.
I usually prefer to keep a lower profile.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Why, it looks pretty tame to me. Did you add a bunch of stickers and graphics or is it simply 'too clean'?

No stickers yet. Perhaps tame by north-american standards, but compare to most cars in Guatemala, a lifted LC with bull bar, winch, large tire, roof top tent, etc...will stand out a bit.

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
There's something to be said about stealth. I've wanted to take mine off about 10 times in the last few months. They bug me more than anything. I know a certain person that runs magnets so when they need to they can just take them off.

Chazz Layne

Administrator
There's something to be said about stealth. I've wanted to take mine off about 10 times in the last few months. They bug me more than anything. I know a certain person that runs magnets so when they need to they can just take them off.

I wish that worked on a Discovery... :D

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Not to stray too far from the EW FZJ80, but related to the sub-topic of stealth...

This past Thursday I removed my spare tire, Hi-Lift, gas can, shovel, and the swing-away from my 4Runner. In addition to loosing about 200# and having much easier access to the rear cargo bay, it looks my 'cleaner' without that stuff hanging off the rear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal