Expeditions West: Moving Back to Canon

Lost Canadian

Expedition Leader
Scott, unless you already have the Canon 16-35mm, you may want to have a look at the new Tokina 16-28mm 2.8. A lot of serious Canon landscape shooters, Marc Adamus for instance, have been using the Nikon 14-24mm with an adaptor because it blows away everything out there in the wide angle market at the moment, but early reviews of the new Tokina 16-28 sound as though it may be very close to the Nikkor in terms of quality. Tokina pro lenses are also built like tanks, which is something I think you can appreciate.

tokina_16_28mm-550x327.jpg

Last edited:

Scott Brady

Founder
It seems odd to me that anyone who needs to take pictures in a professional type setting would use anything other than Canon/Nikon.

Two years ago, the performance spread was less notable and the Olympus gear was more compact and durable, and had better compact lenses. Don't get too hung up on the gear - it is the photographer that takes a great image ;)

The reality is that I need HDV capability from my camera bodies - Olympus screwed up by not releasing the E5 with 1080. Huge oversight IMO and will likely be the death of the Olympus SLR range.

Michael Slade

Untitled
There must be a shift going on in the camera universe. I recently upgraded my large-format camera system completely. 1 camera, 3 different film format backs, 6 lenses and a bunch of film.

Nice choice with the Canon. I shoot Nikon, but both systems are grand.

Scott Brady

Founder
And I supppose the search is now on for a bigger camera bag..

Unfortunately, yes. However, the change in size overall is minimal. I suspect the thing I will miss the most is the focal range and sharpness of the 12-60mm Zuiko.

I suspect Canon will release an interesting EVIL option soon. Otherwise I might still buy a Lumix set-up for ultra-light and moto use. I really like that camera-
Intro-001.jpg

FurthurOnTheFly

Glamping Society
In terms of point and shoots I can't agree with you more. I've always had Canons but I recently wanted something a little more rugged than my G10 because I tend to be really hard on my electronics. I picked up one of those Olympus Stylus Tough 8010s and it has been nothing but a disappointment. I hate the functionality of where the buttons are placed, the screen is so cheap you can't really tell if you've gotten a decent shot or not until you download the pics onto your computer, and it is SLOW.

While it is unfair to compare it to the G10, I can compare it to some of the Canon Powershots of my past and even those I feel, were better. I'm kind of wishing now I'd picked one of those up instead.

ywen

Explorer
Scott, unless you already have the Canon 16-35mm, you may want to have a look at the new Tokina 16-28mm 2.8. A lot of serious Canon landscape shooters, Marc Adamus for instance, have been using the Nikon 14-24mm with an adaptor because it blows away everything out there in the wide angle market at the moment, but early reviews of the new Tokina 16-28 sound as though it may be very close to the Nikkor in terms of quality. Tokina pro lenses are also built like tanks, which is something I think you can appreciate.

tokina_16_28mm-550x327.jpg

I agree the Canon 16-35 is not all that impressive in the corners of the frame. However, the rule of diminishing return applies.

The other issue with 3rd party lenses it that no single lab will be qualified to calibrate the lens to the body. Much easier to get gear in proper calibration when it's all one manufacture.

Photomike

White Turtle Adventures & Photography
Originally Posted by expeditionswest
Don't get too hung up on the gear - it is the photographer that takes a great image

=ExploringNH;844657 Absolutely.

Not according to the camera manufacturers. If you don't have one of ........... you are not a real photographer. (Fill in the dots with the most recent commercial you have seen).

Last edited:

Skylinerider

Adventurer
Congrats on the new gear. It's all about finding what works for your needs. I love my Oly stuff, but then again I don't have a current need for HDV. I look forward to seeing what comes outta the new investment.

john101477

Photographer in the Wild
looking forward to some good shots. I shoot Nikon and to me it is a preference because I enjoy the feel of a Nikon (ergonomically) much more than a Canon. Also when I switched, the Nikon lenses were a little cheaper priced than canon, lord how that changed....
As for the EVIL cameras, when I first started reading about them I was extremely unimpressed but the Sony NEX keeps drawing my eye. I really like that they use a class C sensor over the M4/3. Again a preference.

cbradley

Adventurer
The Nikonian in me is a little sad to hear about the switch back to Canon (have you seen the high ISO performance on the D3s?), but there is no doubt that the 5DII is a great still and video camera. It would be nice to see Nikon start getting the HDV right sometime.

dzzz

The 5DII replacement should be soon. I have both the MK I and MK II versions and they are great. What Canon does with video in the MKIII should be interesting.

Scott Brady

Founder
We have the 70-200 2.8L right now and just ordered the D60 with 18-135 IS. That will be here tomorrow. The team is spending the weekend with a DSLR HDV instructor to fine tune our shooting and equipment set-ups.

I would love to know when the 5D MKIII will arrive. . .

Pathfinder

Adventurer
That feature does not work for zoom lenses. The adjustment required varies across the zoom range. The only solution is to calibrate the body and lenses to reference level.

May I ask, do you have a source for this statement, or is it just your general impression?

I ask because I have always been concerned about this when I did micro AF some of my lenses; but did not really find it was an issue with the lenses I adjusted, which tend to be long lenses, much more than wide lenses. The distance used for AF plays a role as well, I suspect.

I do know for certain that micro adjustment made a significant improvement in my 100-400 IS L at 400mm with my 7D.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal