eXpeditionXterra Build Up

toyrunner95

Explorer
thats what i thought, but why? its a rather intricate setup for a few things, i prefer a switch panel and a aux fuse block, its just easier.

eXpeditionXterra

Adventurer
toyrunner95 said:
thats what i thought, but why? its a rather intricate setup for a few things, i prefer a switch panel and a aux fuse block, its just easier.

To each his own. This setup has functions that I use, programming for stepping, mag-locks, and so on.

It's a centralized, water resistant, simple, and extremely simple to install. What else could you ask for?

eXpeditionXterra

Adventurer
toyrunner95 said:
what is a mag lock and what is stepping?

The unit can be programmed to step up or step down as it turns on the accessories.. it's intended as a safe guard for your electrical system, so the alternator isn't slammed with everything all at once. It's just easier on your system if things turn on one at a time. For the same reason using a winch constantly will burn up alternators.

A "mag-lock" is a magnetic lock, of any type typically used for storing firearms in vehicles.

AFSOC

Explorer
Wow, that is a fun build thread to revisit. One of the top ExPo builds among the many catagories. Gets my vote for "Best of Breed."

02TahoeMD

Explorer
Just read this entire thread. ZOWIE is about all I can say. What a great build, and you have given me quite a few ideas for my Tahoe build.

The money is flying out of my pocket faster than I can make it. Darn site.

Very nice build. I love to see a Nissan SUV built where it can shine..for overland. I still don't understand why you wouldn't swap this to a solid axle considering the complexity and limitations of the IFS in ALL driving situations except where abs might be handy, to each their own. Great rig!

eXpeditionXterra

Adventurer
Okay, just catching up here... I have missed posting on a ton of stuff.

This project was to replace the crappy center console with a rugged, all metal solution. Gamber Johnson was the only choice. The only problem is that Gamber does not make any product specifically designed for this vehicle.

We purchased a long bottom rail, one large box, one small box, and all the accessories (lights, blank panels, cup holders). I still have to get some items that we missed (you may se a small gap by the Prosine control panel). We had to make custom panels for the Xantrex and after these pictures were taken, we also make drop-down panels for the remote radio head units. This way they sit flush with the box.

Everything ripped apart
console1.jpg

The rail mounted using 1/4" bolts and spacers, and a block mounted under the rear of the plate. Most of the mounting holes were pre-existing, we just tapped and threaded them using spacers where needed.
console2.jpg

Box 1 mounted. You can see we cut the console off just behind the shifters.
console3.jpg

Box 2 mounted. Ran power in to the box, and installed a Rig Runner from West Mountain radio (anderson power poles are the only way to go).
console4.jpg

Side view of boxes on the rail
console5.jpg

Testing out the equipment mounting. You can see the two boxes mated together very well.
console6.jpg

The rear box, with cup holder, light, and cubby.
console7.jpg

More to come..

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal