Exploring the West - A couple's 2 week travels through CO, UT, and AZ

JamesDowning

Explorer
The next leg was from Page to Valley of the Gods. It would take us through Navajo Nation, or "Dine" Nation (in Navajo tongue) (how did Dine become Navajo?)

Anyways, while we were eating breakfast on Lake Powell, I had made the comment to Megan, "How do they get those boats shipped in (because the house boats are really really big)? I'd like to see that". Well lo and behold, as we were leaving we got our answer. That thing was hanging a good few feet over the line. Anyways, it was impressive.

159.jpg

This is a good representation of the majority of Navajo Nation. This is a volcanic plug that has remained after much erosion, called Agathla Peak.

160.jpg

We stopped at monument valley and did some shopping for our families. We liked the authenticity of this place. The shop owners were really cool, all willing to chat about their families, and very friendly.

161.jpg

We passed Mexican Hat, turned north, and then took the short side road over to the Goosenecks. I was able to get one decent wide-angle shot of the river. Pretty insane path that the river chose.

162.jpg

So on we went towards the valley.

163.jpg

The valley of the gods road was one of the best maintained roads we had hit so far, and we made really good time. I was very surprised (and a bit annoyed) of the traffic on this road. Everything from cars to minivans. Wasn't as remote as I had expected after coming from Point Sublime. But it was still a really cool place, especially once we got toward our campsite.

I wasn't exactly sure where we would be camping, but we eventually found a nice spot right under Castle Butte. I think this is the same spot I had seen previously on Expo. You won't find a normal car camping here though, as the entrance is a bit tricky and off camber. Not sure why it had a fire ring either, because (I thought!) it said no fires were allowed.

Views: Castle Butte to the left of this image:

164.jpg

165.jpg

We went exploring a bit, and found beauty everywhere.

166.jpg

Below wasn't Castle Butte, but the other big rock formation above our camp. I can't find a name for it.

167.jpg

Megan was the lizard whisperer and made a few new friends.

168.jpg

I battened down the tent, because I figured we'd get some winds tonight. In retrospect, I shouldn't have because it was the stillest, warmest night yet. Perfect camping weather.

169.jpg

I can't seem to draw any more detail out of this image, but it gives you a good idea of where we were positioned. A truly amazing campsite.

170.jpg

We were losing light fast, so Megan jumped on dinner duty.

171.jpg

172.jpg

173.jpg

174.jpg

175.jpg

Our best dinner view the whole trip:

176.jpg

Night fell, and it was a warm, windless night. Perfect camping weather. You might be able to barely make out Castle Butte in this one (the camp lights kinda wash it out):

178.jpg

For some reason I woke up at about 2 am and enjoyed snapping a few more photos of the night sky. It was amazing what your eye could pick up in the darkness. The dark rock silhouettes really stood out against the blanket of stars. I think this one came out well (only after a lot of Photoshopping).

177.jpg

Sun came up the next morning, and brought different light to the land (compare this photo to the 7th one in this post!).

179.jpg

180.jpg

I attempted to make pancakes on the cast iron grittle we had... but failed miserably. I'm normally the pancake master, but this was my first time using the grittle. I wasted a good hour, two bottles of mix, and dirtied a bunch of cooking utensils - and we had no food to show for it!

181.jpg

So we headed off in search for food, but only found vistas.

182.jpg

We did eventually run across the Twin Rock's Cafe. We had a good experience there. The 'Indian bread' was pretty good too.

183.jpg

mph

Expedition Leader
Great campsite in VOG...have stayed there numerous times. Not sure about the fire ban. We had some great fires there. We brought our own wood, but maybe there is a new ban that I don't know of..

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Thanks again for the pictures and report.

Yes, thank you! That second wave of photos was every bit as enjoyable as the first! I love the shot of her cooking with the trail in the background. Very cool. That bread dough/cheese/chicken thing looks really good too! What do you call that?

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
Awesome photo essay on your trip. I aspire to do something like this some day soon. I have 2 young kids, and that many hours in my wee Cherokee might end up in divorce however. lol

I think I will get a couple friends with their rigs and hit the trails with my son first...work out the bugs then haul the rest of the fam along.

Nice work, nice shots, looks like an excellent time. Now I am hungry too after looking at all that FOOD.
:chef:

Saiyan66

Adventurer
Gorgeous pics man, looks like you had a great time with your wife. These are exactly the kind of threads that I need when i'm stuck at work for 22 days straight. And good on you for using what you had to get that tree out, well done!

We stopped at monument valley and did some shopping for our families. We liked the authenticity of this place. The shop owners were really cool, all willing to chat about their families, and very friendly.

161.jpg

Unbelievable! National Geographic has a photo similar to this online as a jigsaw puzzle! I did this puzzle recently!

By the way, you have a lot of wonderful photos, videos, and memories to look back on. I want to do a trip like this some day, but I get the feeling that I will be doing this one by myself. I don't have anyone to share this with in my life, and never really have.

Last edited:

X-plorenow

Adventurer
Awesome pictures. Looks like a great trip. I lived outside RMNP for about a year. An absolutely beautiful place. Your pictures brought me back. My wife and I always talk of moving back...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nepaltourism