Exploring the West - A couple's 2 week travels through CO, UT, and AZ

Canito is1

Introduction:

Today was also the 10th anniversary of 9-11. I thought it was incredible that even though we were in the middle of nowhere, Kansas, that every single overpass had people or firemen hanging out, waving flags, showing their support for this country. Even though there were no skyscrapers nearby, people didn't forget, and gave their time to show their support. At one overpass there was a single motionless fireman in full turnout gear, holding a flag. That single image was quite powerful and will probably stay in my mind just as some of the other images from 9-11 will.

009.jpg

Same road, same day, driving back to CO from Kansas City and it was incredible. Extremely rural areas and nearly every overpass for 150'ish miles had firefighters and supporters there for remembrance. It really made my solo 12 hour drive that Sunday much easier.

JamesDowning

Explorer
Finally finishing up this trip...

To recap, it was Wednesday. We spent the previous night in Durango. We both agreed that Durango was definitely someplace we wouldn't mind returning to someday.

Today we needed to make it to Pueblo, CO. We had two options, north through the San Juan Mountains, or west towards the Great Sand dunes. Seeing as we don't know when we would return to this area, we decided to take the "scenic route" over the mountains to Gunnison via Cinnamon Pass.

The highway towards Cinnamon Pass (the million dollar highway) was quite steep, twisty, and turny. My truck didn't really like it much, on some climbs it refused to go above about 15-20. That's ok, I watched the temperature gauge and let the truck do the heavy lifting. We were in no real hurry despite the distance we needed to cover today.

This was a pull-off along the highway, between Durango and Silverton.

184.jpg

185.jpg

We passed through Silverton, and instead of heading on up the highway, we split off at Silverton along a county road towards Animas Forks.

186.jpg

The scenery along county road 2 was pretty incredible. Unlike anything I'd seen before.

187.jpg

188.jpg

189.jpg

190.jpg

191.jpg

192.jpg

This is Animas Forks.

193.jpg

I took a few pictures, but I was eager to get up the mountain.

194.jpg

Here's the split between Engineer and Cinnamon. It was a hard call between the two, but I thought Cinnamon might be better for us (being our first time on these mountain shelf roads).

195.jpg

The views from this road were just ungodly. As you can see, the slope was pretty steep. You'll get a better perspective once I get the dash cam footage up. Passing people was quite intersting, especially for Megan, who was on the downhill side. She would release a barely audible squeak whenever we went a little off-camber or got a bit close to the edge.

196.jpg

The landscape really changes when you pass around 11,000 feet.

197.jpg

Where are the trees?

198.jpg

199.jpg

Summit, 12640 ft. It was cold and windy... evidence below!

200.jpg

From the summit.

201.jpg

The route back down was gorgeous too, because you descend downward into this long valley. Incredible. The colors were just unbelievable.

202.jpg

203.jpg

204.jpg

205.jpg

207.jpg

I didn't take many pictures between that last picture and air-up. Mainly because there was a very unexpected shelf road during the next section. Basically, we were hanging onto the side of a cliff face, on a little rock shelf. Butt was clenched. Much more intense than the roads even above 11,000 feet. I didn't even see this on the maps! Heck, 300 yards before the shelf began, I tried to talk Megan into driving! I think there's some dash footage of this section, but I definitely didn't document it well enough. Megan held on tight, and sounded like she was in labor during this section.

208.jpg

JamesDowning

Explorer
We stopped in Gunnison, CO, not really knowing where to eat, but knowing we were starving. We ended up stopping at a little dive called "Mario's". We were in good company there... I still wish I would have introduced myself to these guys:

209.jpg

Excellent little surprise! The wings were awesome, and the pizza was better! No doubt, it gets two Downing thumbs up.

210.jpg

We cruised into Pueblo that night, with the plan to have a "resting day" the next day in Colorado Springs before the drive back east.

211.jpg

The drive east was interesting. We decided to drive straight from Colorado Springs to our family in West Virginia. No stopping except for dinner, gas and snacks; it was 1327 miles, and 22 hours.

213.jpg

Dinner was worth the stop though. We were heading through Kansas City about 8pm, and stopped at Oklahoma Joe's BBQ. Well worth the line-out-the-door wait. Best ribs I've ever had. Next time that's all I'll get though.

212.jpg

I'll wait to post the video from Cinnamon Pass, then try to write up some sort of inspirational ending. Hope you guys enjoyed the pictures.

jim65wagon

You don't need words for an inspirational ending....that plate of ribs is inspiring enough! The trip looks amazing! Makes me really wish our "someday" trip was here already!

JamesDowning

Explorer
Thanks for the suggestion rotti. We looked at that during our trip, but it had recently suffered a forest fire, and was not yet fully opened.

JamesDowning

Explorer
Finally got the video all cooked up. It had to bake overnight. I think of all the videos I compiled, this one came out best. I'm pretty happy with it.

Ok, now for the inspirational ending:

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes.
You can steer yourself any direction you choose.
You're on your own. And you know what you know.
And you're the guy who will decide where to go.

You'll look up and down streets, look 'em over with care.
About some you will say, "I don't choose to go there."
With your head full of brains and your shoes full of feet,
You're too smart to go down any not-so-good street.

And you may not find ANY you'll want to go down.
In that case, of course, you'll head straight out of town.

Out there things can happen and frequently do,
to people as brainy and footsy as you.

And when things start to happen, don't worry. Don't stew.
Just go right along. You'll start happening too.

You'll be on your way up. You'll be seeing great sights!
You'll join the high fliers, who soar to high heights.

So...
Be your name Buxbaum or Bixby or Bray
or Mordecai Ali Van Allen O'Shea,
You're off to Great Places! Today is your day!
Your mountain is waiting.
So... get on your way!

- Dr. Seuss

2 E L O

Adventurer
Very good trip report and I thoroughly enjoyed the videos. You've done a lot of great work to that truck and I'm glad to see you were able to take that trip and use it for it's intended purpose! I also have to give props to your better half for going on the trip with you. It sounds like she was able to enjoy it, as well.

Do you have a map showing your route? Just a general track on a map would be pretty interesting to see...

James,

One of these days, I'm going to drive through those states, including Kansas, Missouri, Illinois, and Indiana. Is it true that "there's nothing to see there?"

I'm amazed you did 1300 miles in 22 hours. it took me 36 hours to drive that far on the way back from Ohio the first time, as I was driving by myself and sleeping for an hour once every 4 hours of driving.

Great write-up James. I am glad that you and your wife found the time to travel and see what is east of the east coast. It is a trip that I know you will never forget. You have a well built Trailblazer there and seems that it was well suited for your travels. Thanks for taking the time to post up your trip, it was thoroughly enjoyed.

JamesDowning

Explorer
I also have to give props to your better half for going on the trip with you. It sounds like she was able to enjoy it, as well.

Do you have a map showing your route? Just a general track on a map would be pretty interesting to see...
Thanks, yes the wife was a true trooper. She still says she doesn't want to do a mountain pass again.

Here's the rough layout when I was planning it out:

estimated-route2.jpg

We did end up skipping H and I, and L was done a little differently.

James,

One of these days, I'm going to drive through those states, including Kansas, Missouri, Illinois, and Indiana. Is it true that "there's nothing to see there?"

I'm amazed you did 1300 miles in 22 hours. it took me 36 hours to drive that far on the way back from Ohio the first time, as I was driving by myself and sleeping for an hour once every 4 hours of driving.

Of those states, the best was truly Kansas. But even that gets a bit old after a few hours.

Our 22 hour drive was indeed intense. We swapped back and forth every 3-4 hours. During the night, we'd take naps when we weren't driving. We left at about 0930 from CO, and arrived at about 0930... passing two time zones.

Great write-up James. I am glad that you and your wife found the time to travel and see what is east of the east coast. It is a trip that I know you will never forget. You have a well built Trailblazer there and seems that it was well suited for your travels. Thanks for taking the time to post up your trip, it was thoroughly enjoyed.

Thanks for the kind words!

2 E L O

Adventurer
Thanks for posting the map--looks like a great trip! I got my fiancee to climb a 14'er in Colorado this past summer, so I'll give it a little time before I start working on convincing her to take a trip like this with me.

I guess that'll give me extra time to make all the modifications to my truck that are necessary for a trip like this... :drool:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77