Expo / Daily-driver JK build (Pic-heavy)

ventura911

Adventurer
When Its time to top off your water supply how do you fill your Front Runner tank?
Also how did you put in you Gen-right aux tank? Dose it pump in to the main tank and the to the motor? Dose you DTE in the Computer come up doubled or will that still only read the front tank?

thanks

Biggs

The water tank filler cap is on the top of the tank, pretty much just behind the right rear passenger seat release latch, and easily reachable with a hose. Have to keep an eye on it when filling up, though; there's no easy way to see the water level and it might overflow if you're not careful. So far, I just touch the tank's side; you can feel the colder water rising.

The GenRight tank was installed at their shop, which happens to be in town for me. It fills off a Y from the filler and uses a second OEM pump that sends a separate signal to the computer. Each tank is seen as the one-and-only tank and the fuel gauge and DTE readings are independent of one another.

Adventurer
HI,
You did a terrific job, for sure. In this thread I have to sort of split up my original question in another thread and my experience. You see, I have a YJ Wrangler which I have set up for overlanding. The YJ is finished (more or less!) and accounts for most of my experience with setting up a vehicle. My JK is band new to me and I have different plans for it. Below, I will attempt to link to some pictures that have appeared in this forum of my YJ. You and I made some common decisions but the differences between the vehicles dictate different approaches, specifically, the YJ is much smaller. For example, I also chose a Tent Kot but it is not roof mounted. Instead I fold it up and store it inside the vehicle. It actually fits quite nicely.

Because I am single and have no kids, I have no need for passenger space either. So the passenger seat space is now taken by my ARB fridge on a custom mount. The top of the fridge carries my lashed down Panasonic Toughbook laptop navigation computer within easy eye range. The rear seats have been replaced by a Tuffy full locking trunk. This is where I carry my tool box, spare parts, wheel chocks, snatch straps, and other bulky and/or heavy items. This soft top vehicle needs locking storage. It did not even come with door locks and no holes for them! So, I have added locking storage everywhere I could stuff something. This includes, the rear trunk, center console, glove box, under hood storage for winch tools; all from Tuffy.

My Wilderness roof rack does different duty than yours. This is where I store most of my camping gear and other items. These include two gas Jerry cans, two water Jerry cans, a collapsible ladder, a Pull Pal, and four Pelican cases where the camping gear reside. Everything is either not sensitive to water and dust or protected. I also strap a roll type table and a self inflating mattress up there. The ladder makes it all possible. My ladder is removed from the rack for use. It comes down and goes up easily. I designed and built the mounts for the Jerry cans, Pelican cases and the ladder. The Jerry cans, once placed on the top, never move again for the duration of the trip. I use self-priming siphons to fill the gas tank from the Jerry cans and a separate siphon to access the water. This way I do not have to manage the weight of the cans. The Pelican case mounts are done such that they can be removed from the Jeep when the trip is over as can the Jerry cans.

I have a Tomkin swing out tire carrier which holds my High Lift and an over-the-spare basket. On the basket I can, but not always do, mount a Steil chain saw, and a small Yeti cooler. This is where I carry things I do not want to freeze. I use those plastic freeze blocks in the Yeti rather than ice which I freeze in the ARB. Often the chain saw is left at home. It depends on the trail.

I try to keep the inside of the Jeep as free from clutter as possible. In here I store anything I don't want to get wet or need while I'm on the road. This includes the Tent Kot, my clothing duffel bag, sleeping bag, photography equipment, and all the small things we need minute to minute while on a trip. I have strapped a multi-pocket pocket storage system onto the back of the drivers seat which has a bunch of small items such as sunscreen, knifes, multipurpose tool, hand wipes, etc.

This is not everything. But I don't want to bore you with more. When fully loaded for a trip, my YJ weights out at 5200 lbs. Heavy!! but, so far, reliable. I kept the lift moderate to lower the CG.

I have not touched on the performance mods I have done but there are many. Rather than take up space here to list them I am including a link to my vehicle profile on the JeepForum. Even this is not complete but hits the high points.

http://jeepspace.jeepforum.com/Karma

Sorry for the long winded description, but given the obvious care, skill and thought you have used on your vehicle, I thought you might be interested hearing from someone who has invested as much thought on his build. In my case, the challenge is the YJ itself. It is not naturally an overlanding vehicle but I have made it into one and it works well.

My JK is intended for different activities. The YJ can conquer very difficult trails. The JK will remain mostly stock. But, I already have a Warn XD 9000 winch mounted. I will use the JK for less ambitious wheeling. Long trips on fire roads with the occasional obstacle. If I get stuck I can lean on my winch or call for help with my ACR PLB. It will never fail to get help. While I can and do pull my Aliner trailer behind my YJ, it is a bit of a struggle. It's gigantic 110 HP is the issue. The JK is more naturally suited for the trailer and for trips where I will stay mostly in RV parks and take day trips. My JK is my daily driver. I really don't want to beat it up and I don't want to invest a huge amount of money in it. I have strongly considered lockers but have decided against it, at least for the moment. It would be out of character. And the JK does have the Brake Lock Differential traction system. I'd like to see how far that can get me before investing in ARB's.

My plan is to install a Garvin Wilderness roof rack. This allows me to take advantage of the mounts and Pelican cases I already use on the YJ. Because of the added length of the roof compared to the YJ, I can add two more Pelican cases for tools and spare parts. This will give a total of 6 Pelican's on the JK. This means that the interior space is mostly freed up and it will be easy to carry the remainder of gear I have. The biggest problem is the ARB fridge. I won't use your solution, as much as I like it. I plan to mount the fridge in the space taken by the quarter seat on a custom mount. It looks like it will work. I do not need it to slide.

I think you have done a beautiful and carefully considered job on your JK. It's the best I have seen. Thanks very much for sharing it. We can all learn from you. Given your obvious care, I am certain your build will be successful.

Here are some links that show my Jeep build:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f176/jeep-ready-trek-some-pictures-1098910/#post10082315

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f176/jeep-ready-trek-some-pictures-1098910/#post10082350

Sparky

Last edited:

ventura911

Adventurer
Thanks, Sparky. I'd also thought about sourcing a second 40-portion and figuring out how to replace the 60-portion, thereby leaving the center open for a fridge that could be reached from either rear door or the front seats. Never got close enough to doing it to see if it would actually work, though, but if it did, it would give two decently-sized rear seats.

ventura911

Adventurer
Here are some photos of the water hose from the FrontRunner tank to a SHURflo pump, which is then connected to a simple kitchen sink sprayer (many thanks to my friend Jim for his help on the install):
photo 87.JPGphoto 83.JPGphoto 84.JPGphoto 85.JPGphoto 86.JPGphoto 88.JPG

Last edited:

frfun

Very nice build! I'd like to see this sometime since I'm just getting started and I'm also in Ventura county. Thanks for posting.

Yulli

Yulli the Yeti
Sweet looking JK. I only browsed through the thread but I'll have to take devote some time and read the whole thread when I have a chance. I keep getting side tracked.

JKJenn

Adventurer
Love the RT Pelican case. How do you like your ARB awning mounted off the back? Doesn't the hatch screw it up when you lift it? I have an ARB on the side, but getting ready to move the RTT and awning around a bit.

ventura911

Adventurer
Love the RT Pelican case. How do you like your ARB awning mounted off the back? Doesn't the hatch screw it up when you lift it? I have an ARB on the side, but getting ready to move the RTT and awning around a bit.

I'm very happy with the awning off the back. I definately wanted some protection at the back to cover whatever I'm doing in the cargo/kitchen area. I also wanted to make sure I could access the tent from either side, so a side awning wouldn't have worked. The hatch doesn't cause any problems when open:
photo 38.JPGphoto 42.JPG

Bbasso

Expedition goofball
If you don't mind, could you post a link to where you bought that white/red light?
thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3