ExPo Project: 1991 Land Cruiser Prado SX (LJ78)

Viggen

Just here...
yup 364 day rule.

So, how is Scott getting around this, seeing how he intends to keep it until it is legal to import (which with a 25 year requirement is 4 years, right)? Pick a day in December to drive it across the border, leave it for a couple of days and then drive back in? If this were simple, I cannot imagine why others havent done this yet.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
...a BJ-74, Patrol...

Plenty of BJ74's and Patrols are already 25 years old, choose your kitten and import it.

So, how is Scott getting around this, seeing how he intends to keep it until it is legal to import (which with a 25 year requirement is 4 years, right)? Pick a day in December to drive it across the border, leave it for a couple of days and then drive back in? If this were simple, I cannot imagine why others havent done this yet.

It is in fact that simple and other do it, I can think of a dozen or more vehicles here in the US that leave once a year to maintain their legal eligibility. A quick run to Baja or a run to BC isn't a big deal once a year if your up for it. Along with that you need a permanent address out of country and to be willing with the registration and insurance's of those respective countries. For many the burden outweighs the gain.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
A diesel doesn't rely as heavily on a battery as a gas motor?
Because its a Toyota and dont you know anything associated with that lasts forever....:rolleyes:

I doubt its the original battery. A diesel doesnt rely upon the battery as heavily as a gas motor does but this being a Canadian truck, I highly doubt that the battery survived 21 years of below freezing temperatures.

Douglas S.

Adventurer
I am very sorry to hear that.

That's the normal story we hear around these parts. I live in Calgary, the Golden land of 70 series cruisers, and the head-death central for Prado's. Seems that the high speed prairie highways and the steep mountain passes are the perfect combination to kill 2L Heads.

No-one in the know would EVER recommend this vehicle to anyone, ever, I am afraid to say. The Prado, being mini truck based is too light to be good expo material. All the good guts of the Land Cruiser are missing... the strong diesels, the HD drivelines, the full size diffs. Everythng that makes the Land Cruiser a legend. This, coupled with the curse of the 2LT head, Prado is a cuss word in these parts.

A highly recommended modification if you are serious about driving a Prado is a big military ammo can with some springs in the bottom. Fill with heads. The springs will pop-out a new head each time you open the ammo-can alla the venerable Pez dispesner. [imagine a smiley here]

Indeed... 70 series ARE the ultimate expo platform for all the right reasons. You just have to start with the right model, like a BJ74. Now that's a machine!

Peter Straub

x2

Prado's are neat, but they are just not worth all the issues. A 2LTE powered cruiser does not make a good expo platform.

HZJ77, HDJ81, even BJ74 or HZJ73 (although they are pretty small) are all much better options.

Viggen

Just here...
It is in fact that simple and other do it, I can think of a dozen or more vehicles here in the US that leave once a year to maintain their legal eligibility. A quick run to Baja or a run to BC isn't a big deal once a year if your up for it. Along with that you need a permanent address out of country and to be willing with the registration and insurance's of those respective countries. For many the burden outweighs the gain.

Wow. Thats pretty damn easy. I figured that it wouldve been harder than that.

Yes. This is true. Spark needed? Nope. Electrical system demands of a diesel are pretty low. Granted, this is not a mechanical diesel (which will run without a battery) but this, and earlier diesels, do not require much. My BJ60 had a 40 amp alternator...

Scott Brady

Founder
Scott...how are those Coopers holding up on the 78?

So far, the AT/3s are a nice choice for this truck. We knew a 235/85 R16 was the right tire for this vehicle and we wanted to test something other than the typical BFG AT/KO, so the choice was the Cooper. We will be sure to report on long-term durability and trail performance. So far, road ride is great, as is noise.

Scott Brady

Founder
The Prado, being mini truck based is too light to be good expo material.

I disagree that HiLux and Surf drivetrain is too light for exploration travel. The 2LTE does have its issues, but the fix is known and proven.

I would not hesitate to drive this truck around the world tomorrow. Having driven almost every iteration of 70 series, I really like this Prado, even for its flaws. The LJ78 performs better on the dirt than a similar vintage 74, is more comfortable to drive and more efficient. The 74 is a work truck - the LJ78 is a SUV.

We have several nice trips planned for the LJ in the coming months. We will be sure to report on how it fares. So far it has done trips from Canada to Arizona, Moab, California, etc., all without even the smallest complaint. We added thicker silicon to the fan clutch and flushed the coolant system. So far - so good.

Just look at how cute it is!
Overland_International_SEMA6.jpg

AFSOC

Explorer
A little bit of maintenance/upgrade performed by Kelsey today: replacing the original battery installed by Toyota in 1991, which died earlier this month. :Wow1:

View attachment 102834 View attachment 102835 View attachment 102836 View attachment 102837

The problem with diesel's batteries is that they require a lot of oomph to start the engine. Overcoming compression ratios twice that of a gasser puts a strain on the battery. I would bet anything that it is not the original battery as stated by the OJ staffer. I think that statement just slipped out in all the "Christmas morning" frenzy created by having new toy.

Last edited:

Scott Brady

Founder
I think that statement just slipped out in all the "Christmas morning" frenzy created by having new toy.

Agreed. It was not from 1991. I believe what they were trying to say is that the battery is the same one from when the truck came from Japan. It had Japanese writing all over it.

Douglas S.

Adventurer
I disagree that HiLux and Surf drivetrain is too light for exploration travel. The 2LTE does have its issues, but the fix is known and proven.

I assume that you're referring to the upgraded cylinder head from the later engine as the 'fix' here. If so, it isn't proven. Replacement heads are well known to crack.

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Originally Posted by Scott Brady

I will agree with you Scott if you keep it within GVW. If you buff things up a bit such as frame plating, longfield axles, trussing axle housings as need, ect you can probably get a safe 1,000lbs over GVW. The problems will arise if you go over GVW much in the brakes, clutch or the auto transmission, wheel bearings, ect ect ect.

You can probably go 2,000lbs over GVW but man that is pushing it bad. The truck might do it and do it for awhile but eventually this extra weight will take it's toll on the truck in every way shape and form.

Yes I know people all over the world overload the Hilux and run it hard, still not something I recommend or suggest and it could ruin your trip.

I ran my Taco hard way over GVW, it was built up, a lot. In the end I could tell it was taking it's toll on the truck so I got rid of it before things began to fail. I had the biggest brakes you could put on it with out serious mods and I was eating up pads like it was nothing. My rear suspension was fully custom built to take the weight and that cost me some cash on top of the already expensive front suspension upgrades. Other then chewing up brake pads it held tough though for near 50,000 miles of Pan-Am running at 6,000lbs. So in my mind and world it can be done but it is not a good idea unless you are going to stay within GVW stated by Toyota. They are all fairly tuff trucks Toyota makes and I have proven it myself. I am just not a fan of overloading a truck and then running it hard. It defeats the purpose if you want to keep the truck reliable for long periods of time in harsh enviroments, IMHO.

Cheers

Douglas S.

Adventurer
I will agree with you Scott if you keep it within GVW. If you buff things up a bit such as frame plating, longfield axles, trussing axle housings as need, ect you can probably get a safe 1,000lbs over GVW. The problems will arise if you go over GVW much in the brakes, clutch or the auto transmission, wheel bearings, ect ect ect.

You can probably go 2,000lbs over GVW but man that is pushing it bad. The truck might do it and do it for awhile but eventually this extra weight will take it's toll on the truck in every way shape and form.

Yes I know people all over the world overload the Hilux and run it hard, still not something I recommend or suggest and it could ruin your trip.

I ran my Taco hard way over GVW, it was built up, a lot. In the end I could tell it was taking it's toll on the truck so I got rid of it before things began to fail. I had the biggest brakes you could put on it with out serious mods and I was eating up pads like it was nothing. My rear suspension was fully custom built to take the weight and that cost me some cash on top of the already expensive front suspension upgrades. Other then chewing up brake pads it held tough though for near 50,000 miles of Pan-Am running at 6,000lbs. So in my mind and world it can be done but it is not a good idea unless you are going to stay within GVW stated by Toyota. They are all fairly tuff trucks Toyota makes and I have proven it myself. I am just not a fan of overloading a truck and then running it hard. It defeats the purpose if you want to keep the truck reliable for long periods of time in harsh enviroments, IMHO.

Cheers

I hate to be such a downer in this thread, but overloading a 2LTE powered cruiser is an awful idea. Even GVW is too much for the engine if you encounter any large elevation increases.

The engine is the major limiting factor with this truck. It's not reliable and isn't worthy of placement in anything badged as a Land Cruiser.

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
I wasn't really talking about the engine, since I know nothing about it. I was talking in general terms about GVW and overloading the truck beyond GVW.

I also know little to nothing about this Prado. Other than a friend had one in Panama and hated it and I saw myself that is was a total disaster and failing apart.

ForealBoreal

Observer
The 2l-t head "fix" isn't a fix by any means. An aluminum head on a cast block is stupid.
I think a big reason why people kill prado's is they are not used to driving a gutless diesel as aposed to a gas pot.
Most people mat the pedal and overfuel the diesel when if they back off on the pedal they will go the exact same speed.
Up a big hill for example.

I highly doubt he can justify putting longfields in the truck, its a logging road show truck.
Not like he is going to be wheeling the **** outta it. Pick smart lines and be careful when the front locker is engaged. Go straight.
He would cringe where I take my 77 because it would pinstripe his 78.

Prado's sell for 4-8k cdn. HZJ77s and PZJ77s sell for A LOT more. I cut out the middle man and it still cost a bunch because a nice one is very hard to come by. Definitely an enthusiast vehicle. Yet again you are getting a heck of a lot heavy duty machine as apposed to a prado. Even the PZJ77 has a weaker trans and sometimes not even a full float rear axle. The 1PZ is a sweet little engine though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DQblues