ExPo Welcomes XVENTURE Off Road Trailers to Expedition Portal!

XVENTURE TRAILERS

Supporting Sponsor - XVENTURE Trailers
Need to do some catching up here. I see there's been some spirited comments. That's always entertaining. Anyone have a new Jeep build they are taking out this season? Wonder how SamM's LTT-TQG project is coming along.

Mr. King

Undecided
If I May...

I called Schutt Industries to inquire about their trailers. I was asked to call Markimus' on his cell phone, which I did. He had as much time as I needed to learn about the XVENTURE. Mark presented himself as professional, accommodating and a stand-up guy. It was a pleasure to talk with him.

In aircraft there are very few welds in the aluminum structures. Where there are welds the parts must go through intense inspection, and generally, an annealing process which removes the heat stress in the weld area.

Few welders of aluminum have the facilities or equipment to do such testing or heat treating. There is much more to it, but this is good for here.

Vibration in any structure causes stress. Stress is the reason that aircraft airframe structures are primarily assembled with rivets and not welded. Rivets can be bucked or pulled. A huck bolt is a rivet. Huck bolts ain't cheap, either.

Welding is essentially a linear fastener on the edge of one or both parts, where five rivets in a pattern like that on dice all share the load applied to that fastened area. Increased attachment area is almost never a bad thing!

When a trailer is pulled over a washboard road, as you know, the vibration is phenomenal! At any material attachment point you will have massive tension, torsion and shear loads taking turns at the fasteners or welds. If the attaching area is thin and/or brittle, eventually that attachment will fail. Of course, any fastening system will fail if the loads are high enough. The magic is matching the fastening system to the anticipated loads. I think Schutt did a good job in the matching department.

Before it gets started that we are talking steaks to strawberries, the stress load principles are the same. It is the material thickness and end use that is different.

The XVENTURE manufacturing process is something I understand very well. I am very impressed with the innovation.

Mr. King

Disclaimer: I have no business or social relationship with Schutt Industries or Markimus outside of the gathering of trailer information.

Last edited:

Garbinator

SeekTheMoneyTree
Mr. King,

I most certainly appreciate your detailed and informative post regarding riveting versus welding. In your opinion, when you state you would never buy a trailer that is welded. Does that include trailers such as Aluma, and featherlight open car hauler trailers. For many years I have been looking at these trailers as an alternative to flat towing. You think they would be strong enough to support a JK? Or would cracking around welded areas all due to stress be a problem?

Thanks again.

XVENTURE TRAILERS

Thank you for the great posting, compliments, and taking the time to share your knowledge about the manufacturing methods we use. You will be getting some swag just so you know as do all XV-2 owners, that's just to say thank you for being one of our customers. We truly appreciate you and your business.

Mr. King

Undecided
Mr. King,

I most certainly appreciate your detailed and informative post regarding riveting versus welding. In your opinion, when you state you would never buy a trailer that is welded. Does that include trailers such as Aluma, and featherlight open car hauler trailers. For many years I have been looking at these trailers as an alternative to flat towing. You think they would be strong enough to support a JK? Or would cracking around welded areas all due to stress be a problem?

Thanks again.

Hi Garbinator,

I edited the post down because I thought it had turned into a technical article instead of a general explanation of my understanding of the assembly process of the XVENTURE. I do greatly appreciate your interest!

I guess I should have added to the end of the '... would never buy a trailer that is welded.' sentence ' for off road'. Also, I said, "The magic is matching the fastening system to the anticipated loads." We are still talking about aluminum.

I think this might be the steaks to strawberries thing. Overall, I was speaking of severe duty and conditions. I believe you are talking about general highway use.

The companies you stated have great reputations and I think they are absolutely strong enough to support a JK. I'm sure over the many years they have been engineering and manufacturing their respective trailers, they have developed processes necessary for durability for their intended purpose. I think either would be a great alternative to flat towing!

For normal, on road use I would absolutely not rule out either of those manufacturers or any other quality manufacturer for that matter. I would do lots of research to make sure that what is offered matches my intended use.

Use it, enjoy it and keep an eye on it just like you would anything else...

Mr. King

Garbinator

SeekTheMoneyTree
Thank you, least now I can do a stand-down on the concern front! BTW? Commendable write-up as my wife this second is giving me great awnoyance and grief because I'm supposed to be looking up UPS hours enstead of posting here... Ha!

Cheers

SamM

Adventurer
The Huck bolt fastening system is the reason that I purchased a Schutt Industries trailer. I know that it will survive whatever I put it through. The fact that the frame is rated to haul 10,000lbs is also a major factor. My LTT-HC is overbuilt.

SamM

XVENTURE TRAILERS

Both. We sell factory direct to the end user providing we do not have an established dealer in your territory. What area are you located in?

surly

surly adventurer
It would be cool if we could get more information on these (their home page makes no mention)

1913299_628669677170342_686733882_o.jpg

surly

surly adventurer
Thank you Mr. King
I do like that the upgrades are plug and play. That is a great selling point
Can you tell me if there are other color options for the XV-1? I think the painting is something best when it's a factory job.
Thank you

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DQblues