Extended Warranty on Expo Tacoma

CraigT

Hey guys. Long time lurker. :peepwall:

I have an 08' DC 4x4 Tacoma with Budbuilt skids and Stubbs weld on sliders. My near future plans include lifting and taller tires. Within a year or two I hope to have ARB lockers and new gears front and rear.

So, my dilemma is that I have one day left on my factory warranty and am debating whether to pony up for the Toyata Platinum 7yr/75k warranty for $710. With the modifications I plan to make towards an "expo" vehicle will it be worth it?

TiFJ

Observer
I would say that if you plan on seriously modifying the truck then I would forego the extended warranty. Also, take a look at the fine print of the warranty to determine the limitations of the warranty, what may be excluded and what the deductible is.

My Mom bought the extended warranty for her LR and when something broke she discovered that there is a $200 deductible per line item meaning that if something breaks and it requires 4 pieces to be replaced, then she has to pay the first $800. If something expensive breaks (engine, trans) then it may be worth it but overall I'd say it was a bit of a scam.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
My Toyota extended warranty saved me thousands, two new throttle body units, 2 CV's, and a few different seals. So in my case it was worth it but odds are it doesn't pay for the majority.

OTR

Adventurer
I purchased a 100,000 mile extended warranty on my 07 Tundra. The main reason was it was a first year truck with an entire new drivetrain. I just turned over 100,000 miles and I didn't use. Which is good and bad.

damaged110

Observer
toyota extended warranty will not warranty trucks with over size tires. with that being said i know alot of trucks that get warranty work done. they are on good terms with the dealer so the dealer will take care of them. so if you are on good terms with the dealer i would buy it. also any ASE certified shop can do the repairs so if you have a shop that you take your truck to and are on good terms with them talk to them about the excluisons on the warrany and they can work around it.

Last edited:

Skim

Explorer
toyota extended warranty will not warranty trucks with over size tires. with that being said i know alot of trucks that get warranty work done. they are on good terms with the dealer so the dealer will take care of them. so if you are on good terms with the dealer i would buy it. also any ASE certified shop can do the repairs so if you have a shop that you take your truck to and are on good terms with them talk to them about the excluisons on the warrany and they can work around it. i used to have a set of stock wheels on hand if they ever sent out an inspector. we had a 03 4-runner in the shop was lifted with icon's front and rear bumpers and everything. rear diff broke and an inspector was sent out i put the stock tires and wheels on and the inspector gave the ok for the repairs
they did not care if it was lifted or beat up, just if it had oversized tires.

Careful that is warranty fraud..............

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Hijack here:

So it is possible to buy extended warranty after the purchase of the vehicle? I bought a 5 year - 100,000 mile when I purchased the truck, would it be possible to buy an extension to the 10 year - 100,000 mile that Doc has?

soonenough

Explorer
When my wife and I bought her '06 4Runner in August of last year from a Toyota dealership it Dallas, it had ~33k miles and we opted to purchase the 10yr/100,000-mile OEM warranty from Toyota. It was pricey at $1800, but it's an extension of the factory warranty, no deductibles, no hassles over rent cars, exact same coverage, towing, etc. I hated to pay for it, but not having any maintenance paperwork and knowing nothing about how the previous owner treated it, AND knowing that we wanted to keep the vehicle long-term, we decided to do it.

One of her carrier bearings went out last month at 76k, and we didn't have to pay a dime to get that fixed. Also, she was out of town without me when it happened, so having the peace of mind that everything would be taken care of without some slimeball at a dealership raking her over the coals for as much as he could was another benefit. Our cost without a warranty would've been just shy of $1900, so all in all, we gambled and won.

On her previous vehicle, which was a mid-2000's mustang, her extended warranty paid for the dealership to drop in a complete crate engine at around 90k miles, which would've cost around $6,000. So we've been lucky with extended warranties so far.

CLynn85

Explorer
X2, I have the 10yr/100K and it has saved me several thousand dollars.

Doc, not to hijack but what exactly have you had to do that the warranty has covered? Not something I particularly want to hear considering I have the same basic truck. :Wow1:

CraigT

So, I decided to go with the 7yr, 100,000 mile, $0 deductible Platinum Warranty for $945. I hope I don't need it or that if I do need it the dealership will be amenable.

Thx for the feedback!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalewelsh