Extracting Cars from Snow

Bill Beers

Explorer
Over the last few days, I've pulled a few people out of snow banks here in the Portland, OR area. Mostly I've pulled out other 4WD units: a Suburban, Taco, and an F-150. I also pulled out a Saturn sedan that was next to the F-150.

My question is, where do you hook on to Cars to tow them out? With the Saturn, I looked under the back, as it was nosed in, and couldn't find anything I wanted to hook the strap to. Eventually, we looped it around the rear wheel, and tugged it very gently.

Thoughts?

mrstang01

Adventurer
If I'm pulling out cars, I make them hook it up, with the disclaimer that if it tears off, it's on them. If the occupants are female, I'll hook it up with the same disclaimer. I hook to the tie down points if at all possible, most newer cars have them.

In our lawsuit crazy society, I think twice before I pull someone out, especially in a car. A truck or SUV is usually high enough it won't tear up much when you pull it out, a car, not so much.

Michael

FullsizeJimmy

I ordered a couple of J-hooks to use but am pretty careful about how I pull. I usually use my winch, no jerking with a strap. I think even using the proper hooks, it might be easy to tear out the holes as the metal seems pretty thin.

Fifthpro

Adventurer
Ol yes, a hard snatch has been know to rip the frame........but, given no location to attempt a recovery from is not a solution either.

BigDaveZJ

Adventurer
mrchips said:
Unless the vehicle has a proper extraction point I will not assist

Yup. If there's no good recovery point I'll help push, but I'm not hooking up my truck. 2 years ago we got a couple big storms back to back, and there were waaaay too many people out on the roads that shouldn't have been, not only because their car wasn't adequate, but they had no proper tow points for someone to pull them out if they got stuck, and damn near nobody was dressed for it.

August

Observer
How about putting the strap through the open spokes of a rim? I saw a tow truck driver on the news do it.

August

Observer
I actually encountered a similar problem the first time I ran sweep in a rally - my 3/4" clevis shackles were too big for some of the tow points on the rally car. I ended up having to buy an assortment of shackles for my recovery strap.

jcbrandon

Explorer
August said:
How about putting the strap through the open spokes of a rim? I saw a tow truck driver on the news do it.
I can't recommend it. But I have done it, successfully, without damage. The subject was a Camaro, sideways, blocking both lanes of an icy bridge. A couple of dozen cars sitting on either side waiting impatiently while the guy tried --by himself -- to simultaneously drive and push the car.

I drove around one line of idling cars and had a look. Nothing but plastic bodywork all 'round. So I threaded a strap through the spokes of a wheel and gave a very gentle tug. The Camaro turned parallel with the road. Another minute to remove the strap and all was well again. Guy drove slowly to the nearest gas station and called a friend for a ride home.

KG6BWS

Explorer
ill help pull people out but i always give them the "if this breaks im not paying for it" disclaimer as well. i always use my winch though, never a strap. i can do a more steady even pull with the winch and be able to watch for anything untoward happening.

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
My dad and I were always pulling people out who were stuck in the snow when I was a kid.
But that was when 90% of cars on the road had solid axles.:p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk