F150 trucks

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
37x12.50x17s are a little bit easier to find than the 15s, but slightly more expensive. if you're looking for a tire that is decently easy to find, use a 37x12.50x16.5. they have no safety bead which requires the use of a double beadlock like a hummer H1 wheel, but they're a dime a dozen and cheap.

kozmobrown

Wow, this F150 thread has taken off. For those willing and able to lighten their load a little, I think the F150 is more than adequate.

Jerry, pardon my stupid questions but what do you mean when by "stock 8.8 open front, 10.25 posi rear" What do the numbers represent?

Scoby, that is a monster F150, glad to see it in the dirt.

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
8.8 is the ford 8.8 axle. It's slightly larger than a Dana 44. The sterling 10.25 is the equivalent of a Dana 70, and a sterling 10.5 is that of a Dana 80/GM 14 bolt

Ala5ka

VX'er
but you shouldn't have a 10.25 axle, most have a Sterling 9.75 and 8.8 in the front, ARB makes air locker for both :), but they are spendy. I'm thinking ARB rear Detroit or TruTrac in the front. This weekend might be the one I get to do sliders, skids, and rear bumper! Got my eye on Bushwacker pocket flares also.

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
but you shouldn't have a 10.25 axle, most have a Sterling 9.75 and 8.8 in the front, ARB makes air locker for both :), but they are spendy. I'm thinking ARB rear Detroit or TruTrac in the front. This weekend might be the one I get to do sliders, skids, and rear bumper! Got my eye on Bushwacker pocket flares also.

I'd flip your locker choice around. You'll want selectable in the front

Ala5ka

VX'er
I tow sometimes and I don't want the rears to lock under load, the fronts can be limited slip, good for offroad and great for towing.

scoby41

Well, it's looking like the truck might have a HG leak. :mad: Debating whether to go forward with it or just cut my losses. I've only had her for a week and see a TON of potential... but the seller decided not to disclose a lot of little things that I'm now running into. Just don't know what to do especially since I'm deploying in a few months. :-/

YJay90

but you shouldn't have a 10.25 axle, most have a Sterling 9.75 and 8.8 in the front ...

They all have 8.8 fronts as far as I know.

There are 8.8 rears behind the 4.6L V8s (and I assume the 4.2L V6s).
There are 9.75s behind the 5.4L
There are 10.25 (7 lug) in the 7700 series (heavy payload package) like Jerry has.

Edit: This is true for the 04-08 model years. Not sure about others.

Bob599

Observer
sliding rear window for 09 F150 Super Crew Cab

Does anybody know who makes a large opening sliding rear window. I am planning on using a standard cap for some overnights fishing this spring. I would like be able to transfer items or myself from the truck to the cap and the factory window is way to small. Saw a power slider on a Nissan full size that looked perfect but can't find anything for the Ford.

FatCity

Observer
To me it seems that we in the F150 community aspire to do great things to our rig, but they never come to fruition. For me the only things I foresee happening in the next few months are beefier skids, and rock sliders. I want to see someone make a dedicated Expo rig out of their late model fitty so I can be inspired :) We have lots of potential and we need to show the Expo community that the F150 can be a great adventure rig as capable as any other. My ultimate dream includes lockers, bumpers, and more gear but money is as always a consideration. I'm really excited for the future of our trucks as great Expo rigs, peace.

BTW I'm in SoCal for a few months if anybody wants to meet up for a nice little run :)

How bout mine?

DSC00901.jpg

DSC00881.jpg

DSC01105.jpg

bftank

Explorer
still drooling over this one from seeing it on pirate the other day. by the way welcome to expo fatcity!

Ala5ka

VX'er
that's one nice truck right there FatCity, question, was the 4x4 long travel hard to install? I've been lusting after a long travel trail truck for years.

FatCity

Observer
Yes and no.
These are HnM arms and knuckles and use custom mounts. You spend a full day cutting and grinding and I had to fab the shock hoops and misc. bracketry. It eliminates ball joints and bushings all together in favor of huge spherical brgs. The HnM kit is more expensive, but 100% bullet proof.

Dixon bros makes a more affordable kit that bolts to the stock A-arm mounts but still uses you stock steering knuckles with an adapter that somehow bolts to your ball joint. Also uses Urothane bushings at the frame. Comes with shock hoops and misc. bracketry.

Both good suspensions, but I'm deffinitely happier knowing I've got bullet proof stuff under there when we're bouncing around in Baja.

I'll cut and paste the build up over here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk