FG637 "Drag Up"

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
I don't know how much clearance you have between the ground and your transfer case now, but maybe fitting singles and getting a bit of a suspension lift might be another solution to this problem. Probably not the cheapest option, but one that will undoubtedly have other benefits too.
If you're interested, I have about 475mm clearance in that area... :)

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
My concern is the transfer case and 4wd selectors. The bottom of the radiator is pretty exposed to sticks and wildlife. Diffs are pretty robust they should take care of themselves.

Hi Shannon,

As a matter of interest, ATW does a radiator splash guard for the 2008 to current Isuzu and 2009 to current Fuso FG's but nothing for the earlier models.....maybe the FG84 ATW Splashguard would adapt to yours though. We found a lot of the vehicles in the mining industry , particularly those underground really suffer from mud clogged radiators and intercoolers so we have a heavy duty tray that bolts up under that area and works really well without noticeably decreasing cooling airflow......I mean so clogged they have to throw the radiator in the bin after about 3 months!!! Some of the mud undergound sets like concrete.....so anyway, that's why we developed those.

BTW These trucks actually get stuff all airflow unless the fan has cut in anyway.

As for the Rampover angles and transfer case protection.....I guess if you're still running standard wheels and springs, you'll be lower than I'm used to but it might be handy to protect the leading edge of the handbrake drum backing plate ......but I've never heard of anyone holing a transfer case yet.....I guess you're more worried about getting hooked up are you? I've grounded out on the centre tailshaft bearing a couple of times but that was with a 649 with standard wheels and a very stretched wheelbase.

Regards
John

Last edited:

Aussie Iron

Explorer
Did some rock hopping on the week on the weekend. My fuel tank now holds fractionally less then 200l. Has anyone done anything with underbody protection or am I the only fool to need it?
I've done a radiator protector on mine otherwise it would be very easy to put a stick through it. The transfer case does hang down fairly low and I have had a look at doing something but really decided that it may cause more problems (bash plate) as it is not easy to fit to anything but the transfer case adding more weight to the mounts and when driving over rocks it is better to know where they are passing under the vehicle. I know there is always the time when you can get hooked up and other action must be taken but generally you are going slow and should be able to stop before it does damage.

Dan.

Tonkatuff

Adventurer
Only 240mm at transfer case....i feel so inadequate!

I suspect these older trucks have a lower transfer. Or tyres and springs give 9 in of lift. I have thought Dan of putting a mirror on the passenger door similar to the ivecos to get better visibility.

Aussie Iron

Explorer
Only 240mm at transfer case....i feel so inadequate!

I suspect these older trucks have a lower transfer. Or tyres and springs give 9 in of lift. I have thought Dan of putting a mirror on the passenger door similar to the ivecos to get better visibility.

I have about 340mm clearance on my transfer case. I also all ready have a mirror on the passenger side so I can see my front wheel and down the side, it does help.

Dan.

Tonkatuff

Adventurer
Hopefully if I get these springs reset and the 8.25 tyres on I will be able to hold my head up in this forum.

What did you mount your mirror to Dan?

Amesz00

Adventurer
240mm?? i always thought they were 300 under the t-case as stock..
anyways.. we found that even with a little bit of suspension (like 35mm from reset springs) and some bigger tyres (like good 825s), in most offroad situations its actually not as much of a drama as it looks when you peek under the truck. i dont have any protection on my tcase and never had an issue with it. it is a bit higher though, measured 395 to the bottom of mine last night. i do go 'rock hopping' on occasion..

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Hi Shannon,

Dave asked me to post a pic up for you of his turbo ....... We were in the workshop on Sat morning and Dave was playing around with a twin shock setup on his twin cab...had the inner guard off so I tried to get a shot to show you but it was a bit hard to get in there anyway. Sorry. Best I could do.......so anyway, this is the way he worked out to fit the manifold. Turbo Glide apparently had never actually tried to fit their manifold to a Crewcab and there just isn't enough room with the turbo sitting between 3 & 4 so he flipped the manifold upside down( as he mentioned to you on the phone) so that the turbo ends up between 1 & 2.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Tonkatuff

Adventurer
Thank Dave for me John and cheers for the photos. Did he have to modify any of the bodywork? All the turbos that i have come across modify the rear engine cover and they loose alot of room in the back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater