Fiberglass M416/M100 Military-style Trailer Tub Kit

jscherb

Expedition Leader
1522166_549163528515400_1173372862_n.jpg

The person building these posted this photo on their Facebook page, I thought it was worth sharing here. Two different ways to build... the one on the left is assembled with two solid end panels like the original military trailers. It's got round M100-style fenders, and it's built on a Harbor Freight frame slightly modified to be the correct size to sit under the military tub. The trailer on the right has a tailgate end panel, but no tailgate installed yet in this photo (nor any fenders yet either). It's on a welded frame.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I was playing around with some ideas to enhance a militry-style trailer for camping. I've done a fiberglass hard cover, and I was thinking the cover could be used as the top for a raised chuck wagon/RTT platform. Here's the cover:

WithRetro3_zps6c77f0f3.jpg

Next is a concept view of the chuck wagon/rtt platform. Its a 16" high "riser" made from plywood with 1x3 framing behind them. The riser bolts or clamp to the tub, and the cover can be hinged to the risers. I've used lift-off hinges on this cover, so a second set of lift-offs mount on the riser, meaning the cover can still slide right into the lift-off hinges when the riser is removed.

Riser2_zps4d9b58a3.jpg

With some chuck wagon storage compartments:

M-seriesChuckTent2_zpsf6566d6d.jpg

And with an RTT on top (I didn't draw the chuck wagon compartments on this one, you can use your imagination :)):

Riser3_zps20a70b95.jpg

FWIW, just some digital doodling.

TIICOSYNCRO

Well well Mr.
You finally got my trailer done, it looks better than I imagined. When can I pick it up:ylsmoke:

That would be perfect behind my new syncro project.

Thanks for being you, and bringing this neat project to market.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
If you've been following this thread, you've seen my fiberglass hard cover/RTT platform:

It's all fiberglass, and I made it in two pieces that bolt together so that it would be small enough to ship UPS Ground.

CoverPainting4_zps9a160939.jpg

Here's an alternate idea for a cover... it's modular, and consists of four fiberglass pieces (two each of the ends and sides). Only one side and one end are shown in this drawing.

The idea is that these 4 pieces would be much more economical to produce (therefore lower selling price than the earlier design), and would be much less epxensive to ship. The parts would have a recess into which a plywood panel would go:

ModularCover1_zps516b59b0.jpg

Probaly a few 1x3 pine or poplar cross-rails would also be added to reinforce the plywood if you planned to carry loads on top (like a roof-top tent).

ModularCover2_zps0ca9d0aa.jpg

I'm trying to decide what thickness plywood would make sense for this cover design. I'm trying to balance strength, weight and the quality of easily available plywood.

So I'm posting this to get some input and feedback...

1what do you think of the modular design?

2. In your area, what plywood is available that would make sense for this application. You'd want something that would take a finish well, so preferably not plywood flooring underlayment :). I'm thinking 1/4" or 3/8" plywood, but I don't want it to be something that would have to be special ordered.

What do you guys think?

Last edited:

M35A2

Tinkerer
If you've been following this thread, you've seen my fiberglass hard cover/RTT platform:

It's all fiberglass, and I made it in two pieces that bolt together so that it would be small enough to ship UPS Ground.

CoverPainting4_zps9a160939.jpg

Here's an alternate idea for a cover... it's modular, and consists of four fiberglass pieces (two each of the ends and sides). Only one side and one end are shown in this drawing.

The idea is that these 4 pieces would be much more economical to produce (therefore lower selling price than the earlier design), and would be much less epxensive to ship. The parts would have a recess into which a plywood panel would go:

Probaly a few 1x3 pine or poplar cross-rails would also be added to reinforce the plywood if you planned to carry loads on top (like a roof-top tent).

I'm trying to decide what thickness plywood would make sense for this cover design. I'm trying to balance strength, weight and the quality of easily available plywood.

So I'm posting this to get some input and feedback...

1what do you think of the modular design?

2. In your area, what plywood is available that would make sense for this application. You'd want something that would take a finish well, so preferably not plywood flooring underlayment :). I'm thinking 1/4" or 3/8" plywood, but I don't want it to be something that would have to be special ordered.

What do you guys think?

It's a great idea and I would suggest standard 1/2" sheathing.

Will one 4' x 8' panel fill the gap?

Will these ends work on a stock M416 trailer, or only the fiberglass kits?

One other suggestion for you to consider: would it be possible to design the base of the end pieces such that a lip extends down, so that rain and spray are prevented from getting inside the trailer?

Last edited:

jscherb

Expedition Leader
It's a great idea and I would suggest standard 1/2" sheathing.

Will one 4' x 8' panel fill the gap?

Will these ends work on a stock M416 trailer, or only the fiberglass kits?

One other suggestion for you to consider: would it be possible to design the base of the end pieces such that a lip extends down, so that rain and spray are prevented from getting inside the trailer?

I'm trying to go thinner than 1/2" to keep weight down. Yes, one 4x8 sheet would do it, the plywood insert would be smaller than 4x6 due to the width of the fiberglass frame. Yes to both the original M416 and the fiberglass Dinoot m-series kit.

The weatherproofing on my full fiberglass cover has proven out very well, I would use the same design for this modular cover.

M35A2

Tinkerer
I'm trying to go thinner than 1/2" to keep weight down. Yes, one 4x8 sheet would do it, the plywood insert would be smaller than 4x6 due to the width of the fiberglass frame. Yes to both the original M416 and the fiberglass Dinoot m-series kit.

The weatherproofing on my full fiberglass cover has proven out very well, I would use the same design for this modular cover.

Thanks, that's good to know. I was having trouble visualizing how the flat bottom of the fiberlass sections would seal against the round top tube of a stock M416.

For calibration, I have a 1/2" plywood cover on my M416 - even heavier with a 1 x 3 center spar and 2x4 figure 8 frame (spar needed because 4'x8' sheet will not quite make it) - and it is not too heavy. It has proven strong enough to use as a loading surface or a platform to stand on.

klb67

Observer
Do you have dimensions for your fiberglass profile yet? It looks like a 48" sheet might stretch to cover a 52" or 54" opening with your design, which would be nice. It would personally save me a joint in the top and buying a second sheet of plywood. Not sure what thickness of ply but I'd go as light as possible that won't flex between the pine.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Do you have dimensions for your fiberglass profile yet? It looks like a 48" sheet might stretch to cover a 52" or 54" opening with your design, which would be nice. It would personally save me a joint in the top and buying a second sheet of plywood. Not sure what thickness of ply but I'd go as light as possible that won't flex between the pine.

The size of the plywood insert would be roughly 8" smaller in length and width than the outside dimensions of the cover, although I have completely finalized that yet.

justageek

Jeff I really like the modular idea here, much better visually than using the TrailTop parts on the M-series.

However, as shown here it seems limited to just the one type of lid. Have you thought about using some of the TrailTop design ideas, specifically 90-degree corners and straight pieces. That would allow a few other lid shapes, like the chuckwagon style in post #38 of the TrailTop thread.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Jeff I really like the modular idea here, much better visually than using the TrailTop parts on the M-series.

However, as shown here it seems limited to just the one type of lid. Have you thought about using some of the TrailTop design ideas, specifically 90-degree corners and straight pieces. That would allow a few other lid shapes, like the chuckwagon style in post #38 of the TrailTop thread.

Yes I thought about it and rejected the idea, for two reasons: first, increasing the fiberglass parts count for a basic cover from 4 to 8 would increase the cost, and second, since anything you'd build to stick on a military trailer would have 90-degree corners, those are easy to do in wood. The TrailTop design makes it easy to do nice curved corners but that's not necessary on a military trailer. The thing the modular fiberglass top does make easy though are the angled edges and the overall construction and assembly.

A few weeks ago I posted some concepts that would use wooded sides under the 4-piece modular top, here's one. It would be made with the modular fiberglass cover, and wooden sides:

M-seriesChuckTent2_zpsf6566d6d.jpg

And as a tent platform (I didn't bother drawing the chuck wagon compartments on this one):

Riser3_zps20a70b95.jpg

musty40

Observer
Interested in the M416 4 piece modular trailer lid.

I attempted to send a PM but your inbox is full so I sent you an email.

Thanks, Alan

jscherb

Expedition Leader
A few weeks ago I posted a design for a 4-piece military trailer cover kit. It used 4 fiberglass side/end rail pieces with a plywood center panel. The component design means that it can be manufactured and ship very affordably; the plywood insert reduces the shipping cost (the builder supplies his own plywood) and also the overall cost of assembling a cover. This is one of the design sketches I posted:

I've decided that I'll make the molds for the parts to accept 1/4" plywood panels, for several reasons. High-quality 1/4" birch plywood is available in all home centers, it's affordable, it takes finishes very well, and it's lightweight.

Wooden cross-ribs will be added by the user to provide strength to support loads on top of the cover, such as roof-top tents.

Here are a few concept drawings of a completed cover. The first two show the plywood unfinished, these are mostly to illustrate where the plywood goes:

4PCCover1-1_zpseb611d53.jpg

4PCCover1-4_zpsd6fbc5b9.jpg

In the next two, I've "painted" the plywood olive drab to match the rest of the cover and the trailer:

4PCCover1-2_zpsdedc0557.jpg

4PCCover1-3_zps2486592d.jpg

I think this combination of fiberglass and wood components should make for a very affordable, attractive, strong and easily-assembled cover for military trailers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach