FJ with Baja Utility Rack

Scottydog13

Observer
I am adding a Baja Utility rack to my FJ this week. I have a RTT. Typically I would mount my RTT towards the front of my OEM rack and use the rear area for a gear box. I see a lot of Baja accessory adds that show the gear (Jerry cans, hi-lift, shovel/axe) mounted on the front of the rack and the RTT towards the rear. WHY. My plan is to mount the RTT to the front so I have easy access to the rear from my tailgate. Am I goofy for this? I realize it is my choice, but just curious if I am missing something and should do it the other way?

eli

Observer
I'm interested to know as well. I'm guessing weight would be a huge factor as it would affect the center of gravity, handling, etc.

Mrknowitall

Adventurer
Compared to the RTT, the gear box etc is much heavier for the rack space it occupies. As for use, some people seem to enjoy flipping the tent rearward to form some covered area at the rear of the vehicle.

SWITAWI

Doesn't Get Out Enough
Wondering what suspension the OP is running on his truck? There's a reason why ARB's purpose-built 'touring' roof racks mount the tent to the rear, because their Old Man Emu 'Heavy' rear spring rates are rated to handle the load placed there.

ARB-3800200.jpg

shack

Adventurer
I had a Bajarack Utility Rack and Mombasa RTT combo for a while. For me, I preferred having the RTT open toads the rear of the vehicle as opposed to off the side. Seemed more stable that way

Scottydog13

Observer
I have (will this weekend) the Baja Utility rack and the OME Heavy springs and Bilstein shocks in the rear. I don't like the RTT opening off the rear because the tailgate would hit the ladder, at least I think so. Maybe someone ha a picture of the RTT opening that way. My gear box doesn't weigh much, it is just camping gear/cookware etc.

After seeing my buddy mount his ARB RTT on his 80 series folding out over the rear it seemed like a great idea. And for the split door/tailgate of the 80 it worked great. Unfortunately the swing out door on the FJ seems to be too long to clear either RTT I have tried (ARB and then a Hannibal Classic) regardless of how far back on the rack I mounted them. It was fairly close but I still had to lift up the tent and swing the ladder out of the way every time I wanted to open or close the rear door. It became a hassle and now I mount my tents (3rd tent inbound soon!) opening off to the passenger side.

One nice thing I REALLY liked about having it opening to the rear however was the opposite door opening to the basket on the front portion of my Baja Expedition Rack. Up there I kept a Pelican case with a backpacking stove, french press and breakfast items. I could sit inside my tent with a nice awning over my cook area and make my breakfast on my roof. It is still possible to do so by leaning/reaching out the window but it is hardly the tranquil experience of using an actual door.

Last edited:

Patrollife

Explorer
Agree. Weight distribution would be my concern having it up front. I have the OME heavies with body armor throughout and skid plates - no winch, though. I keep a pelican 1550 case mounted to the rack with recovery gear and the baja rack jerry can holders (not always mounted). Having the RTT up front would a) look odd (in my opinion) and b) add too much weight to the front + passengers. The RTT opens to the driver side with an awning opening passenger side. I haven't tried rear mainly because my dog needs the space and I like sitting with him in the cargo area without having an obstructed view. Picture heavy to show set up. Hope this helps. Lots of great ideas here, too:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/134446-Roll-call-on-Expo-Portal-FJ-Cruisers

6184345_orig.jpg

3194623_orig.jpg

90127_orig.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal