FJC Frame issues?

ShottsCruisers

Explorer
Ya I hear ya. I'm not criticizing ya. Just that these dudes just look for things like this.

I have an '06 Mazda Rx8. Been a great car though some are troubled. The Mazda dealerships look for anything so they can say "you race it" so Mazda can get out of fixing them. Sucks!

SinCityFJC

Adventurer
ShottsCruisers said:
Ya I hear ya. I'm not criticizing ya. Just that these dudes just look for things like this.

I have an '06 Mazda Rx8. Been a great car though some are troubled. The Mazda dealerships look for anything so they can say "you race it" so Mazda can get out of fixing them. Sucks!

Oh I didn't take it that just clarifying the mud issue:)

tibaal89

Adventurer
I took mine in once looking like this... :jump:

DSCF0416.jpg

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
That sucks SinCityFJ, I'm really disappointed to hear they won't be handling your issue. :smilies27

I wonder what Toyota is going to do about the FJC's their dealers are equipping? Here in SLC you can stop by a couple of different Toyota dealers and find ARB, Road Armor, ExpeditionOne, Warn bumpers along with OME, Revtek and Pro-Comp lifts on new FJ's on the dealers lot. Obviously this is installed by Toyoa but I wonder how they will handle those warranty issues. Complete BS.

viter

Adventurer
well, I can see how a dirty air filter and mass air flow sensor are not manufacturer's defect and obviously cleaning these parts is easy enough that it shouldn't be an issue. this could perhaps take care of the rough running engine as well, if not, then I would take it back to the dealer after cleaning the filter and MAF and tell them to fix the rough running engine.

on the fender liners - any idea how did they get cracked? could dealer actually connect modifications to cracks in the fender liner in a reasonable manner that would stand up in court? if not you can take this up with toyota district representative or higher under the Magnusson act...

did you check your frame btw? find anything?

SinCityFJC

Adventurer
viter said:
well, I can see how a dirty air filter and mass air flow sensor are not manufacturer's defect and obviously cleaning these parts is easy enough that it shouldn't be an issue. this could perhaps take care of the rough running engine as well, if not, then I would take it back to the dealer after cleaning the filter and MAF and tell them to fix the rough running engine.

on the fender liners - any idea how did they get cracked? could dealer actually connect modifications to cracks in the fender liner in a reasonable manner that would stand up in court? if not you can take this up with toyota district representative or higher under the Magnusson act...

did you check your frame btw? find anything?

As for the dirt & mud this FJC was just serviced in the last week plus had 4 other visits this month all for the same issues.

TMC is on #3 redesign of the inner fenders but claim its a mod/user issue not a faulty design - I know major BS especially when lots of effected FJCs are bone stock & have never left the pavement.

Been dealing with the inner fender issue locally & with TMC for 14 months - I got no were, just lies & delay tactics.

Well now onto the frame, I mentioned right after I bought mine when installing lift & asked about but told don't worry in regards to coating were frame meets coilover mounts and other up front "stress cracks in said coating thats rusting. Rechecked these areas again plus @ motor mount/frame and spots of bare metal with surface rust, might have 1 small fracture or its just a mfg mark @ next to left motor mount/frame weld.

I don't plan on keeping this long enough to see weather this develops into another major issue.

cruiser guy

Explorer
With that kind of B.S. I'd be pissed too. Fortunately, or unfortunately for me my BJ60 is so far out of warrantee they may stop making parts soon. I WON'T be finding an FJ Cruiser in the driveway though with that crap going on.

SinCityFJC

Adventurer
cruiser guy said:
With that kind of B.S. I'd be pissed too. Fortunately, or unfortunately for me my BJ60 is so far out of warrantee they may stop making parts soon. I WON'T be finding an FJ Cruiser in the driveway though with that crap going on.

The local Toyota club I'm a member is mostly FJ40s - 60s - 80s a few FJCs plus a sweet BJ42 & MV's LS6 powered Icon I've gone wheeling in.

I'm going back to solid axles F&R:)

viter

Adventurer
my bad - I didn't understand that the inner fender liner in the report was the actual sheet metal part that's cracking on a bunch of FJC's, I thought it was the plastic inner fender liner that in the wheel wells. then, this certainly does suck. I woudl try to find another dealer or try to fight them to prove through engineering analysis (I am a mechanical engineer myself) how cracked inner fender sheetmetal is related to lift and other modifications, and also if they are saying this isn't factory defect than why are they on 3rd redesign? They obviously wouldn't spend money on redesign unless it needed it. This is just ridiculous...

but I also understand that since you don't plan on keeping this rig for long you probably don't want to go through all the trouble of trying to fight this.

sorry to hear this, man

SinCityFJC

Adventurer
viter said:
my bad - I didn't understand that the inner fender liner in the report was the actual sheet metal part that's cracking on a bunch of FJC's, I thought it was the plastic inner fender liner that in the wheel wells. then, this certainly does suck. I woudl try to find another dealer or try to fight them to prove through engineering analysis (I am a mechanical engineer myself) how cracked inner fender sheetmetal is related to lift and other modifications, and also if they are saying this isn't factory defect than why are they on 3rd redesign? They obviously wouldn't spend money on redesign unless it needed it. This is just ridiculous...

but I also understand that since you don't plan on keeping this rig for long you probably don't want to go through all the trouble of trying to fight this.

sorry to hear this, man

I know how this issue is being denied/not covered makes no sense & is BS.

They have covered repairs in the past on lifted & modified FJCs even ones that have been wheeled. They wouldn't keep redesigning them if it truly was a mod/user issue.

Well after 14 months dealing with TMC plus 2 dealers they have no intention of covering mine and countless others.

Eventually this issue will cause someone physical harm & the FJC will get labeled as the Pinto of the SUV world.

MaddBaggins

Explorer
I don't know any of the legalities of owning a vehicle under warranty. Having said that, I'm surprised everyone wants Toyota to fix trucks that they take offroad. Offroad is harsh driving. Why should the manufacturer be liable for issues with abusive driving? I've seen the way some of the FJC owners drive their rigs. I wouldn't cover damages if I was Toyota.

This is, of course, what I "think". Like I said, I don't know what Toyota is actually responsible for fixing. Not trying to be antagonistic. I just think it's similar to holding McDonalds responsible for the coffee being to hot. It's accepting responsibility for your actions. If you drive your vehicle offroad, you have to be willing to accept that things might break.

Still, it sucks you FJC owners are having issue. Good luck.

SinCityFJC

Adventurer
MaddBaggins said:
I don't know any of the legalities of owning a vehicle under warranty. Having said that, I'm surprised everyone wants Toyota to fix trucks that they take offroad. Offroad is harsh driving. Why should the manufacturer be liable for issues with abusive driving? I've seen the way some of the FJC owners drive their rigs. I wouldn't cover damages if I was Toyota.

This is, of course, what I "think". Like I said, I don't know what Toyota is actually responsible for fixing. Not trying to be antagonistic. I just think it's similar to holding McDonalds responsible for the coffee being to hot. It's accepting responsibility for your actions. If you drive your vehicle offroad, you have to be willing to accept that things might break.

Still, it sucks you FJC owners are having issue. Good luck.

Would be a good rational but inner fender issue happens more to stock rigs that have never have never been off-road than modded/wheeled FJCs.

durango_60

Explorer
MaddBaggins said:

This would make perfect sense if we were discussing a Corolla, but we are talking about a vehicle that was marketed as an off road ready vehicle.

viter

Adventurer
durango_60 said:
This would make perfect sense if we were discussing a Corolla, but we are talking about a vehicle that was marketed as an off road ready vehicle.

X2

check out toyota website and trail team videos on their website - they obviously wouldn't be organizing Toyota Trail Team events if they did not endorse using these FJC's off-road and in conditions at least at the level the Toyota Traiul Teams are driving their FJC's through.

Cell4Soul (member here as well) had to go through a lot to get his Taco frame/engine mount fixed under warranty, but eventually he won - might be a good read for anyone struggling with FJC issues - found in this long thread on TTORA - http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49360&page=26

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater