Flat bed options

flounder

Good day all,

I recently had an incident and may have to replace my truck bed. If this is the case I am strongly considering putting on a flat bed with storage boxes to increase my storage on my rig. Current set up is a '16 F-350 with a Northstar 850SC.
I am looking for input from those with experience and maybe more options. So far I have researched:
Norweld
Alum-line
Sherptek
Protech
Nuthouse

Protech talked up their construction using huck rivets with no welds that allow more flex off road but they are expensive and long lead time currently. None of the others seem to specify anything like that so assume a more rigid bed.
Any input from those with experience is appreciated.

Thanks
Derek

flounder

Oh shoot forgot to mention that here. I am currently in the PNW north of Seattle then will be north of Portland for a bit before embarking on long term road trip.

chris_the_wrench

Fixer & Builder of Things
Good day all,

I recently had an incident and may have to replace my truck bed. If this is the case I am strongly considering putting on a flat bed with storage boxes to increase my storage on my rig. Current set up is a '16 F-350 with a Northstar 850SC.
I am looking for input from those with experience and maybe more options. So far I have researched:
Norweld
Alum-line
Sherptek
Protech
Nuthouse

Protech talked up their construction using huck rivets with no welds that allow more flex off road but they are expensive and long lead time currently. None of the others seem to specify anything like that so assume a more rigid bed.
Any input from those with experience is appreciated.

Thanks
Derek

You probably already know that sherptek is located in eugene. Not too far from portland. Ive seen two of their beds, pretty fancy and nice construction. However if I bought a flatbed or more likely when I copy one to build it will be the norweld. Saw so many of those down in Australia and they were getting really used and abused, but homding up well!

-Chris

flounder

Why a flat bed instead of a utility body?
Kerry, from what I can tell the utility body is bulkier and likely heavier. Also the ones I have seen seem to drop lower than what I think I want impeding clearance. Unless there is some style I am missing.

flounder

You probably already know that sherptek is located in eugene. Not too far from portland. Ive seen two of their beds, pretty fancy and nice construction. However if I bought a flatbed or more likely when I copy one to build it will be the norweld. Saw so many of those down in Australia and they were getting really used and abused, but homding up well!

-Chris
Bike_mech, I am waiting to hear back from Sherptek but yeah the Norweld is still in consideration. Mule is clearing them out right now as they are switching to a new brand. They are marked down quite significantly. Depending on the insurance assessment of my truck the Norweld is definitely an option, just wish it had storage boxes on top that would be under the camper rails.

David_h

You mentioned ground clearance which means rough terrain. I'd be looking at a flat bed/tray with the lowest deck height possible to avoid being too top heavy.

rruff

Explorer
You mentioned ground clearance which means rough terrain. I'd be looking at a flat bed/tray with the lowest deck height possible to avoid being too top heavy.

It isn't that simple. Without wheel wells you'll be rubbing tires on it every time you articulate. On my truck I need 8" from the tire to the bottom of the deck to make that a rare event.

topofpalomar

Enthusiast
Kerry, from what I can tell the utility body is bulkier and likely heavier. Also the ones I have seen seem to drop lower than what I think I want impeding clearance. Unless there is some style I am missing.
Yeah, they are heavier and can be bulkier, but not necessarily lower. This was my rig - 2006 Chevy with used low profile utility bed and popup camper. Not all slide-in campers will fit a utility bed without major modifications. Mine required no mods to work.
Sold it to my neighbour a couple of years ago. He still has it. 1604614604945.jpeg

kerry

Expedition Leader
I modified the utility body to accept the bathroom bump out on our Northstar TS 1000. Pretty simple modification. Cut a section out of the back right compartment, flipped it upside down and welded it back in.

DirtWhiskey

Western Dirt Rat
Watch the used market. Better lead time and way cheaper. IMHO Protech is the best with its minimal welding and huck bolt design. You'd be surprised how many welded aluminum flatbeds I've seen from reputable builders that have cracks all over.

David_h

It isn't that simple. Without wheel wells you'll be rubbing tires on it every time you articulate. On my truck I need 8" from the tire to the bottom of the deck to make that a rare event.

Agreed, most typically might require a custom build. However Sherptek offers three deck heights last time I checked. The lower two would have wheel wells projecting above the deck height. They build to order so kinda custom and pricey too. Since OP already has a slide in camper this type of configuration might work with side boxes above the deck.

Attachments

• C736C8F4-84C9-45E5-825A-D30AFD06CCAE.png
    C736C8F4-84C9-45E5-825A-D30AFD06CCAE.png
    140.5 KB · Views: 67

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach