Fly Fishing School

Viggen

Just here...
So, ordered some stuff from Rovers North and in the package was a copy of their latest magazine/ parts update and there is an add for the Orvis schools and a current special on their 2 day program of buy one, bring a friend for half price. I normally hate fishing because it is so incredibly boring as there isnt much movement going on. Fly fishing has always intrigued me as it involves thought, skill, precision, movement and solitude. The price includes lessons and tutoring by an Orvis fly fishing "expert" and all the gear to be used so I and my gf just need to show up basically.

My question is: Has anyone ever done this one or anything like it? Fly fishing strikes me as something that you probably could learn on your own but not easily.

Bergger

Explorer
I've been fly fishing for 10 years and love it. Wish I had started earlier. I recommend a lesson. It will take months if not years off the learning curve. I tell people it is like going out and trying to play golf without a single lesson. Kinda tough and may frustrate you to the point you won't do it again. Sure you can learn on your own or have a friend teach you but learning from a professional will make it more enjoyable. I learned by simply taking a guided fishing trip and telling them I needed to learn the basics. After one trip of catching fish and learning from the guide I went out the next weekend by myself and caught fish. Good luck and welcome to another addiction.

hatidua

Look for a Federation of Fly Fishing certified instructor (maybe you can contact them for a list of certified instructors in your area). In order to be certified by them, an instructor has to really know what he's doing in terms of teaching casting - which is the main thing you want to learn well (and before bad habits become ingrained).

After a good full-day lesson from a qualified instructor, find a local park or school yard that's not in use and practice often until things like double-hauling become second nature.

One note of extreme caution: fly fishing can be very addicting!

fishlee

Fly Fishing Clubs

After you take your class... try checking out fly fishing clubs in your area... it's the fastest way to learn more...some clubs offer classes for free or nominal fees...the more you help at clubs the more you get out of most clubs... most guy's want to share their knowledge of fly fishing good luck on your quest. thight lines...

Sojourn

Wanderer
I have been trout fly fishing for more than 20 years. Though, before my first bone fish trip 3 years ago, I took a weekend class at the Orvis store at Watercolors near Destin. I picked up more in 2 days at Orvis than I had fishing on my own up to that point. With my freshly learned casting fundamentals, within in two days on the flats in Mexico I was able to double haul 60 foot with decent accuracy. Since that point, most of my vacations with my family are some how tied (pun intended) to fly fishing, salt and fresh. As you have been warned, fly fishing is highly infectious.

Viggen

Just here...
Great! Ill find a couple places to to take a class or two. There is a farm not too far away from me that apparently has amazing fly fishing and offers lessons. Ill hit that up and then probably one of the Orvis stores.

Bowhunter

Taking the course is a good plan, especially for a new fisher. Learning the proper form right off the bat saves a lot of headache and frustration down the road. You will also gain a good understanding about matching the right line to your rod. Learning to cast is one thing but if you have mis-matched gear it's a disaster right from the start.

I have been fishing with the fly rod since I was about 6 or 7 years old. My grandfather was a good teacher. But I recently got bitten by the spey casting/fishing bug and I decide to take a course with a Federation of Fly Fishing certified instructor. I learned a lot, spey casting is pretty neat, launching 30-40 yards of line without a back cast is awesome! Although I'm still but a grasshopper so I need to do a lot more work LOL

Plus he offered some hint's to make my single handed casting a little better too. well worth the money!! Have fun and tight lines!!

Oh yes, like another poster mentioned it is very addictive!!

Last edited:

Wyowanderer

Explorer
So, ordered some stuff from Rovers North and in the package was a copy of their latest magazine/ parts update and there is an add for the Orvis schools and a current special on their 2 day program of buy one, bring a friend for half price. I normally hate fishing because it is so incredibly boring as there isnt much movement going on. Fly fishing has always intrigued me as it involves thought, skill, precision, movement and solitude. The price includes lessons and tutoring by an Orvis fly fishing "expert" and all the gear to be used so I and my gf just need to show up basically.

My question is: Has anyone ever done this one or anything like it? Fly fishing strikes me as something that you probably could learn on your own but not easily.

I took an Orvis FF clinic several years ago, and it was a big help. It helped me unlearn some of the habits that were keeping me from casting well (not that I'm great even after the clinic). I'd ask them what the class included, and make sure I was getting what I wanted from the class.

Have fun.

jleeFJ62

Observer
sweet. I thought about getting into fly fishing as well. I think there are a few places in Ashville NC that offer classes. Just like any sport, the more you pay the better equipment you'll get. What are some good entry level brands and brands to stay away from?

Wander

Expedition Leader
sweet. I thought about getting into fly fishing as well. I think there are a few places in Ashville NC that offer classes. Just like any sport, the more you pay the better equipment you'll get. What are some good entry level brands and brands to stay away from?[/QUOTE

There used to be a FFF chapter in town but I don't know if that is still active. There was also a TU chapter and some of the guys actually fished. Look into either and you'll find what you need in that area. Davidson River Outfitters in Brevard offers instruction as does Hunter Banks in Asheville.

You've got some good water there. The closest is Jones Gap, the Whitewater and Thompson right about Jocasee are good. I used to Fly Fish there all the time and I miss being that close to trout water. Temple Fork offers some great rods that are a deal, Reddington are also very good value,as for reels a simple click and paw drag is just fine for there as the water isn't large enough to support big fish and they don't have far to run. I'd suggest a 4 or 5 weight rod. The "clearwater" packages from Orvis are well priced and offer the whole kit with a good warranty. Is Applacian Outfitters on Orchard Park still around? If so go ask about local clubs, you might also try Sundrift in TR, there was a shop on Augusta Rd that sold rods but I can't recall the name.

jleeFJ62

Observer
sweet. I thought about getting into fly fishing as well. I think there are a few places in Ashville NC that offer classes. Just like any sport, the more you pay the better equipment you'll get. What are some good entry level brands and brands to stay away from?[/QUOTE

There used to be a FFF chapter in town but I don't know if that is still active. There was also a TU chapter and some of the guys actually fished. Look into either and you'll find what you need in that area. Davidson River Outfitters in Brevard offers instruction as does Hunter Banks in Asheville.

You've got some good water there. The closest is Jones Gap, the Whitewater and Thompson right about Jocasee are good. I used to Fly Fish there all the time and I miss being that close to trout water. Temple Fork offers some great rods that are a deal, Reddington are also very good value,as for reels a simple click and paw drag is just fine for there as the water isn't large enough to support big fish and they don't have far to run. I'd suggest a 4 or 5 weight rod. The "clearwater" packages from Orvis are well priced and offer the whole kit with a good warranty. Is Applacian Outfitters on Orchard Park still around? If so go ask about local clubs, you might also try Sundrift in TR, there was a shop on Augusta Rd that sold rods but I can't recall the name.

Thanks!!!

App Outfitters is still around. I think i might have found a local FFF club.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk