For those that carry Guns and Overlanding

Status
Not open for further replies.

WeLikeCamping

Explorer
It is the "right to keep and bear arms". Why do you think there is a distinction between "keeping" and "bearing"? A synonym of "bearing" is "carrying". Please argue that.

WeLikeCamping

Explorer
who is disagreeing? Seems he agrees with everyone but you. You would restrict the right to bear arms at your convenience. Scalia does not mention what manner or purpose is unlawful, at least not in your quote. Is this your decision to make? He also says "any weapon whatsoever" that seems to be a bit unclear.

personally, I'm not educated enough to interpret Constitutional law, but I guess you are.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
No, that is for states to decide. And some have decided that open carry is illegal - there have been no successful challenges to these laws. Defacto case law that open carry is not a Constitutional right.

WeLikeCamping

Explorer
Freedomrider, sorry if your are insulted. I thought I was merely stating a fact. It's the typical interwebz argument, nobody is gonna change anybody's minds. Fortunately, I have the law on my side, as well as my morality, so I don't have a need to change any minds. It was fun while it lasted, but a zillion circles on the merry-go-round makes one dizzy. I need a rest :)

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Freedomrider, sorry if your are insulted. I thought I was merely stating a fact. It's the typical interwebz argument, nobody is gonna change anybody's minds. Fortunately, I have the law on my side, as well as my morality, so I don't have a need to change any minds. It was fun while it lasted, but a zillion circles on the merry-go-round makes one dizzy. I need a rest :)

Agreed, did "proper4wd" actually think he was going to change any minds with his seemingly improper infringement on the rights of others? Laughable at best, but at least he has wasted half of his day being entertaining!

freedomrider

Ordinary average guy
I simply take issue with trolls who attempt to infringe on the RIGHTS of others just because you may feel something doesn't fit into your little bubble of what's "right".

Somebody posting an opinion on an internet forum is attempting to infringe on people's rights? I think you may be taking this stuff a bit too seriously.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
Hardly. If someone chooses to ignore the blatant, case-law-supported fact that it's a privilege, not a Constitutional right, then they're in for a rude awakening one day.

freedomrider

Ordinary average guy

You didn't insult me. You called the other guy's argument silly.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
I believe that conceal carry is the more appropriate way to carry. I am extremely positive on gun ownership in general. Both my wife and I have CCP's, a safe at home full of toys, and she is actually on the board of directors for a high end private range in my area.

My first post in this thread stated that we frequently travel with a pistol, but it's usually safely stored as I consider it a "tool in my toolbox" and don't see the need to broadcast it's presence.

MOguy

Explorer
How are you inferring that? You have no god given right to open carry. You have a right to bear arms.

You have a Constitutional right to keep and bear arms that shall not be infringed upon. There is no limitation on how you do it according to the US Constitution. Laws have been implemented to limit this right. Some states have more laws than others.

MagicMtnDan

2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition & 2021 F350 6.7L
6eaa3d8d17aae3bcd7df39533a4ae933b52aa54c00c5d0be1d682dd71f3403d8.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DQblues