For those that carry Guns and Overlanding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xterabl

Adventurer
While exploring the deserts over the last 25 years I have encountered some weird and creepy situations and people. I often camp alone and have had people visit my campsite late at night under suspicious circumstances. I always carry a ready AR or AK variant in a locking rack in my Jeep and always carry a loaded Glock within reach if not on me.

Call me whatever you will, I am going home at the end of my trips and it's up to the assailant if he is too, or not. It's the other Golden Rule: better to be safe than sorry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Best words of wisdom I've read here in many years (except my own of course!).
Thanks for sharing your experience and perspective.

David Harris

Expedition Leader
By your line of reasoning every robber will shoot a cop at first sight. Better tell the cops to stop carrying right?

Human psychology doesn't work that way.

So what's the alternative? They come in with weapons drawn, see you sitting there with a hamburger in your mouth and a gun on your hip, and run back out the door?

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
So what's the alternative? They come in with weapons drawn, see you sitting there with a hamburger in your mouth and a gun on your hip, and run back out the door?

In a adrenaline filled situation people have tunnel vision. With the expectation of robbing the place, the bad guy could hit the door look at the register and not notice bobo the clown sitting there. In that scenario they are never gonna know if someone has a gun or not.

ClayH

Adventurer
By your line of reasoning every robber will shoot a cop at first sight. Better tell the cops to stop carrying right?

Human psychology doesn't work that way.
He doesnt understand that robbers are cowards and non confrontational. They want a soft target. And they dont want a murder charge just for robbing the 7-11
Bless his heart.

ClayH

Adventurer
Yes, this has actually been documented but with guns drawn, while casing the place.

OutOfBounds

Adventurer
I'm in Canada so our laws are much more draconian than the laws in the Land of the Free and Home of the Brave. However, I always have a pump action 12ga shotgun in the truck when I head out in the wilderness. I carry a MTM shot shell box with a selection of shells; bird shot, buck shot, Deep Penetrator slugs and flares.

I spend alot of time in bear country and have had a couple close encounters, one ending with me putting a shot into the dirt in front of an aggressive young black bear. I'd rather have a gun and not need it, than need it and not have it.

RoyJ

Adventurer

The alternative is they leave and rob a place where they're less likely to get return fire.

Robbers want a cash-out, not a murder charge on their hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh00333