Ford F150 Raptor project

DesertTaco

Raptor along the "El Camino Del Diablo"

Here's a few pics of my Raptor shot a few weeks ago while driving "El Camino El Diablo" (the devil's highway) just southeast of Yuma, AZ.

4242826927_8b111a3ab4_b.jpg

4242826657_b9090f71ae_b.jpg

The truck is a blast to drive on wide open desert roads but a bit of a handfull when it comes to narrow trails. I'm having second thoughts about buying it and am wondering if I should "dump" it and either get another Tacoma (I miss my '06 4x4 DoubleCab TRD) of try the Off Road Xterra...

strange

Observer
Thinking of getting rid of it already? How bout this, my broncos not as wide, turns tighter on the trail and gets 25 mpg highway....how bout we just trade straight up? :D

those are some nice pictures, i like the look of it without the graphics

cruiserlarry

One Crazy FJ
While the F-150 Raptor is a nice attempt at a niche off-road specific truck, it has some issues, IMO. First, it is ridiculously overpriced, lthough the body work is very nicely done, the suspension could be done aftermarket for less. A bigger problem in my mind is the front fascia - it's definitely not off-road friendly. Seems Ford would have been wise to design a higher clearance pre-run style fascia instead of one that hangs so low and is so easy to rip off on the trail.

If you are really into trail runs, I think the Tacoma, with an Icon suspension, would do you better for half the price (and long term, probably half the maintenance :Wow1:). But is does look awesome....:bike_rider:

matt s

Explorer
While the F-150 Raptor is a nice attempt at a niche off-road specific truck, it has some issues, IMO. First, it is ridiculously overpriced, lthough the body work is very nicely done, the suspension could be done aftermarket for less. A bigger problem in my mind is the front fascia - it's definitely not off-road friendly. Seems Ford would have been wise to design a higher clearance pre-run style fascia instead of one that hangs so low and is so easy to rip off on the trail.

If you are really into trail runs, I think the Tacoma, with an Icon suspension, would do you better for half the price (and long term, probably half the maintenance :Wow1:). But is does look awesome....:bike_rider:

Federal regs. All trucks have to now have bumpers that are closer to the ground so that when they ********** into little cars they don't eat them for lunch.

nwoods

Expedition Leader

But you'd be missing out on all the fancy engine tuning and transmission software set points.....

DesertTaco

While the F-150 Raptor is a nice attempt at a niche off-road specific truck, it has some issues, IMO. First, it is ridiculously overpriced, lthough the body work is very nicely done, the suspension could be done aftermarket for less.

I respectfully disagree...

I was walking the lot at the Ford dealer today and the Raptor has to be one of the MOST reasonably priced trucks on the lot. You really get alot for your money. The Raptor is priced "only" $2,000 - $3000 more than a standard FX4. You can't even begin to approach the total suspension package that you get in the Raptor for anything less than $8000 in the aftermarket, AND it's fully covered by a factory warranty (the shocks are covered for 10 years or 100,000 miles.

If you can resist all the extra "non-sense" options that are available for the Raptor, you can get one for a pretty good price. I paid $37,500 for mine while a 1010 Toyota DoubleCab Tacoma TRD Off-Road will set you back around $33,000. It just depends on what you looking for.

It just kind of sucks that after all I've said, I wish I had my "old" Taco back...

DesertTaco

By the way, I won't be buying the Xterra. I drove a 2010 Off-Road model today and I was VERY un-impressed. I just wasn't happy with the build quality or the ride.

I guess if I end up selling the Raptor, I'll be going back to a Tacoma...

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Thinking of getting rid of it already? How bout this, my broncos not as wide, turns tighter on the trail and gets 25 mpg highway....how bout we just trade straight up? :D

those are some nice pictures, i like the look of it without the graphics
25 mpg,out of a Bronco? Are we talking about a 1978+ V8 full sized one? Everyone I have spoken to gets maybe 13-14 max.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal