Ford F150 Raptor project

Life_in_4Lo

Explorer
I love the Raptor! Don't sell it! You would be crazy to sell, imo.

Saw one and it is great. Just the fact a car company did this is just amazing and for the price!!! It's a steal. They added a lot to the F150 yet is priced very much like a high production unit.

Life_in_4Lo

Explorer
While the F-150 Raptor is a nice attempt at a niche off-road specific truck, it has some issues, IMO. First, it is ridiculously overpriced, lthough the body work is very nicely done, the suspension could be done aftermarket for less. A bigger problem in my mind is the front fascia - it's definitely not off-road friendly. Seems Ford would have been wise to design a higher clearance pre-run style fascia instead of one that hangs so low and is so easy to rip off on the trail.

If you are really into trail runs, I think the Tacoma, with an Icon suspension, would do you better for half the price (and long term, probably half the maintenance :Wow1:). But is does look awesome....:bike_rider:

at first blush it may seem like that but I disagree.

Price is completely reasonable. Price one, you will see.

The suspension is awesome. Tell me where you can buy a gorgeous alloy lower control arm like the one they developed for the Raptor... for any price- doesn't exist.
The Fox shocks are specially tuned for this truck. Entire thing was developed and tuned by SVT and FOX. Buying parts is one thing, tuning them is another.

Front end is not low and easily removable lower parts like they did for the desert racing Raptors.

I read it has special rubber compound BFG AT's too.

Front IFS travel is about equal to a Taco REAR axle travel.

The Raptor will kill any other production or near-production truck at high speed offroad. You can argue the Taco but the Raptor is wider and longer-so it's more stable and the width (tho against it on tight trails) will let it run FAST. I'm pretty sure it will run faster than even a LT Taco.

The 5.4L is a bit down on power for this platform (bigger V8 coming for the Raptor later) but it's a pretty solid engine and best 150 platform to date.
I would put the dependability up there and be confident with it-- I think it's just such a cool ride.

jh504

Explorer

The suspension is awesome. Tell me where you can buy a gorgeous alloy lower control arm like the one they developed for the Raptor... for any price- doesn't exist.
The Fox shocks are specially tuned for this truck. Entire thing was developed and tuned by SVT and FOX. Buying parts is one thing, tuning them is another.

Front end is not low and easily removable lower parts like they did for the desert racing Raptors.

The Raptor will kill any other production or near-production truck at high speed offroad. You can argue the Taco but the Raptor is wider and longer-so it's more stable and the width (tho against it on tight trails) will let it run FAST. I'm pretty sure it will run faster than even a LT Taco.

The 5.4L is a bit down on power for this platform (bigger V8 coming for the Raptor later) but it's a pretty solid engine and best 150 platform to date.
I would put the dependability up there and be confident with it-- I think it's just such a cool ride.

Looks like the 6.2L is available.

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader

I agree with this post. I'll trade you straight up for my '06 4runner.

DesertTaco

I ended up keeping the Raptor

Just wanted to let you all know that I ended up keeping my Raptor. I did try to sell it but didn't want to loose that much $ in the process. I've got about 5000 miles on it now and am still getting used to the over-all size but can't fault Ford for making such a fun truck to drive off-road...

fishy_frontier

Adventurer

I'm not bashing the raptor. I really like the concept of the truck, but...

I have to respectfully disagree with the raptor being reasonably priced. I have priced one. I could go get a new Tacoma or Frontier for $25k and have $20k left for mods. With that much mod money I could easily make a raptor killer and have more fun doing it than just buying the truck.

I could find or have fabricated lower control arms that are just as sexy and stronger than the lca's on the raptor depending on the vehicle.

The BFG AT's on the raptor probably just have a softer compound so they wear out faster and the dealership makes more money on replacement tires.

I wouldn't argue the taco cause the raptor would kill it if the taco was stock.

fishy_frontier

Adventurer
Just wanted to let you all know that I ended up keeping my Raptor. I did try to sell it but didn't want to loose that much $ in the process. I've got about 5000 miles on it now and am still getting used to the over-all size but can't fault Ford for making such a fun truck to drive off-road...

Good to hear that you kept it:)

Wonderland

Explorer
I have to respectfully disagree with the raptor being reasonably priced. I have priced one. I could go get a new Tacoma or Frontier for $25k and have $20k left for mods. With that much mod money I could easily make a raptor killer and have more fun doing it than just buying the truck.

You could build this for about the same $$$...which will have better suspension than the Raptor. Sure the Raptor has more power, but if you can't get it to the ground...

A super charged Toyota 4.0 isn't too far off from the HP of a 5.4 Ford. Power to weight ratio might be real close between the two.

0087.jpg

Ford finally got the styling right with the Raptor, too bad the regular F150 didn't get the same.

Last edited:

Wonderland

Explorer
Last edited:

Life_in_4Lo

Explorer

Great!
It's such a cool truck. We just saw a black one today and I love that thing.

timh

Explorer
I test drove a Raptor a while back. If I had the money there would be one in my driveway. The salesman even let me jump it and rave it in the dirt:wings::wings::wings:

78Bronco

Explorer
You could build this for about the same $$$...which will have better suspension than the Raptor. Sure the Raptor has more power, but if you can't get it to the ground...

A super charged Toyota 4.0 isn't too far off from the HP of a 5.4 Ford. Power to weight ratio might be real close between the two.

0087.jpg

Ford finally got the styling right with the Raptor, too bad the regular F150 didn't get the same.

Factory warranty?

strider3700

Adventurer
and most likely resale. A $45,000 truck normally would resell for far closer to $45,000 then a $25,000 truck with $20,000 in mods would.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal