Ford Fullsize Thread !!!!

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
Thanks for the info! Im a bronco owner as well. 96'. I'd like to go roof rack instead of trailer but the fiberglass top concerns me with the amount of weight I'd have. I've seen others who run RTT but they have a cage inside to support the weight of the rack and tent.

The roll cage is the preferred method, since you can carry much more that way. I don't plan on putting more than 200 lbs on my rack so its not a big deal for me. If you place the mounting points as close to the edges where the fiberglass is thickest and opens up to the hollow spaces, that will give you the most strength.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Pure bad *****.. I think you win.. Damn I want one.
The diesel shop I use here had an '06 Ford E-250 passenger van that had been converted to 4wd in Tijuana. They do it all down there at a fraction of the cost including some really trick bumpers,the front having a Warn winch. Shop was doing LED lights all the way around.
It had a super nice roof rack with ladder they did down there also.
The guy picks up 2wd ford vans up here and then they do the balance down there. This one had been repainted also down there.

Maverick1701

Adventurer
After doing some research I think I have decided on how I am going to configure the truck for camping. I have a new question now. Several friends of mine have told me that the truck will be too long to do any "serious" back road adventuring. I'd like to ask those of you with far more off road experience than I have what you think. Please advise. I'm hesitant to put a lot of money into this truck if traveling off road in it will be problematic.

LIES! I used the wheel the heck out of my 1996 7.3 CC 1-ton Crew Cab. I was able to hang with the local jeep club on all of their "hardcore" trails (much to their dismay).
The truck was sooo long that I (almost) always had at least an axle over dry land to provide traction.

Everyone teases the guy(s) who wheel large trucks...until THEY get stuck...then you are the first guy they call!

seesbirds

Hello,

I only found this thread yesterday but have found it very interesting and full of ideas and information.

The truck is a 2000 Ford F-350 4X4 crew cab, long bed with a 7.3L diesel. When I bought it in 2004 it already had the lift kit installed and I found I liked it so I didn't have it taken off. The truck has 142000 miles on it now and I've been religiously changing the oil, and filters. I put in a 4' stainless steel exhaust, had it chipped and installed an exhaust temp gauge, a turbo boost gauge and a tranny temp gauge on the drivers side column. It's got brand new shocks all the way around, just got new tires, new headlights,new cablight lenses, new batteries and a new K&N cold air intake. I still need to do a little more work on the cabin to make the truck as comfortable as possible over the long trip, like a better sound system and at least one new front bucket. The front windows still need to be tinted. I'm going to put a brush guard, winch and some additional lighting on it over the next several months.

While I realize a lot of my work has been cosmetic, I've taken good care of the engine as well but I am admittedly not very mechanical.

I want to make a grand tour of the USA including driving to Alaska in it sometime in the next 18 months. I'd like to take 6 months to a year to do the trip and since I'm a "blue roads" kind of guy I'd like to explore some of the rougher secondary (read dirt) roads as I make my way around the country.

What I haven't decided yet is exactly how I want to configure the back end of the truck. I love to camp and have been considering my options i.e. a slide in camper vs a capper, taking the bed off and building a back end of my own design, or buying one of the tents I've seen on this thread which mounts up high.

There are a few considerations I have to make. I'm an avid cyclist and I need to have a secure rack to hold my bikes. I might want to take my canoe with me. I have a tipi and having a rack built to hold my tipi poles (they're 25' long) would be a positive, and if/when I get the chance to explore some of the more remote areas I reckon I'll need a place to keep extra tools, chain saw, fuel etc.

What I'm hoping you all, especially those of you who have loads more experience going off road, will help me with all of the mechanical considerations I don't know about but should; as well as your opinions and/or experiences of the various pros and cons of using this vehicle for what I want to do and how you'd configure it if it was yours. Any links for products you suggest or have found useful would be extremely helpful.

Thanks in advance for your input. Let the fun begin!

IMG_1479_zpscdb89e2f.jpg

IMG_1478_zps74b5ac27.jpg

IMG_1477_zps5c530b99.jpg
IMG_1476_zps7cc7f680.jpg

BTW that's diesel fuel under the truck that leaked out when I replaced the fuel filter today.

After doing some research I think I have decided on how I am going to configure the truck for camping. I have a new question now. Several friends of mine have told me that the truck will be too long to do any "serious" back road adventuring. I'd like to ask those of you with far more off road experience than I have what you think. Please advise. I'm hesitant to put a lot of money into this truck if traveling off road in it will be problematic.

Maverick1701

Adventurer

LIES! I used the wheel the heck out of my 1996 7.3 CC 1-ton Crew Cab. I was able to hang with the local jeep club on all of their "hardcore" trails (much to their dismay).
The truck was sooo long that I (almost) always had at least an axle over dry land to provide traction.

Everyone teases the guy(s) who wheel large trucks...until THEY get stuck...then you are the first guy they call!

turboale

Observer
The only thing to avoid with the long wheelbase and large turning circles is switch backs. Other than that, get out there and enjoy it! Plus, the extra space comes in handy... And despite what the rock people say, there is more to off roading than just crawling. Its fun, don't get me wrong, but not the only thing to do off pavement.

Just ask this guy... :ylsmoke:
IMG_0929-2-S.jpg

IMG_0929-L.jpg

Here is my full size Ford... Though its been more of a DD lately, it did make the trip to shoot the Texas Raptor Run a few weeks ago. To see my photos Click Here

DSC01826-L.jpg

DSC01995-L.jpg

IMG_0096-L.jpg

Jomax

Observer
Here's my ford, the looks on jeepers faces are priceless where I go...

Caught some air in a diesel :)

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

jrfromafar

Adventurer
2014 F250 4x4 gas engine

Still breaking it in - less than 1,000 miles - hope the mpg improves (averaging 12 mpg)

Will do some lifting or leveling, and a few other things to outfit it - no rock climbing for me, but hopefully some exciting country & boondocking down back roads.

image.jpg

By the way Ford is offering good incentives right now to flush out the remaining 2014's only problem is most of them left have minimal options or options less popular. Had to go out of town to find this one. Got it for 20% off sticker

Last edited:

zzz150

Adventurer
here's my 2014 reg cab short box, 5.0L, lsd, 3.55's, 2inch lift all around (just a damn spacer up front for now since bilstein still hasn't got their 2014 updated 5100's done yet - add a leaf in back, will end up adding some procomp rear shocks shortly) centurey hi rise cap (love the extra space in there), cooper st maxx 33x11.5's. that's it for now, truck will get a sleeping setup in the bed for the upcoming trip this summer, eventually a winch if i keep it for the long term and some sliders but that's about it. damn thing already has northern ontario pin stipping!photo.jpg

almost got a f250 instead of this but was very afraid of the gas mileage! regret it though cause it would certainly have been a better truck, the ifs front end will surely fall apart on this truck in a few yrs at best.

MoRogers

Observer
Still a work in progress, but I'm just about done with it for this year. At some point I'll add a winch and debage it, just haven't gotten around to since I'm still waiting on my intercooler to come in.

Stage_3_Motorsports_Greasy_Spoon_Sedona_Trail_Run_024.jpg
DSC_0011.jpg
DSC_0014.jpg
IMG_0049.jpg
photo 3.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater