Ford Transit build out

Clean1

Observer
Ok so this is what I have narrowed it down to taking with us for tools and equipment. It is way to much and I had already gone through it twice. It is very hard for me to let a tool go..
now how do I fit it all in my cabinets.
DSC_0797.jpeg
Luckily the UPS guy stopped by and dropped this to distract me from parting with anymore tools
DSC_0803.jpegDSC_0810 1.jpeg
This is where is will live when not in use.
DSC_0813.jpeg
I had purchased 22" long x 500lb sliders for it and mounted them to them van floor. I used a piece of 3/4" plywood to make a base for the toilet to sit on and mounted the toilet to the base with the supplied hardware.
DSC_0870.jpeg
Stress test, just don't lean forward or it will shoot back into the cabinet HAH!
DSC_0871.jpeg

naterry

13 Cheeseburgers
Thanks! I used 1010 or 1". It has worked out well so far.

Cool. Yeah you're good for cabinets, etc.

I wanted to use the 1010 profile everywhere but the available fasteners for it weren't strong enough for my structural components. The sections were fine, but the hardware didn't pass in my calc. The 1515 profile allows for 5/16" fasteners, which passed fine.

I'm jealous of your progress!

Cheers

Clean1

Observer
Photo's of the interior after upholstery. We used a grey canvas for the sides and a lighter canvas to match the headliner.
DSC_0812.jpegDSC_0800.jpeg
DSC_0817.jpeg
These arm rests they made make long drives much more comfortable
DSC_0818.jpeg
Ceiling around A/C unit
DSC_0821.jpeg
The wife said we needed to spruce up the interior a little so she picked out the leopard fabric at the fabric store. It turned out better than expected.
DSC_0825.jpegDSC_0831.jpeg

Clean1

Observer
Cool. Yeah you're good for cabinets, etc.

I wanted to use the 1010 profile everywhere but the available fasteners for it weren't strong enough for my structural components. The sections were fine, but the hardware didn't pass in my calc. The 1515 profile allows for 5/16" fasteners, which passed fine.

I'm jealous of your progress!

Cheers

I used the 1010 everywhere, including under the bed I doubled up on the vertical supports where needed and didn't span longer than 14" with the horizontals if it was going to support anything. I made most of my own fasteners for the mechanical well (still 1/4" bolt though)I tried not to use the fasteners to support anything just keep everything in place if that makes any sense. Please post a link to your build if you've got one. Good times!

naterry

13 Cheeseburgers
I used the 1010 everywhere, including under the bed I doubled up on the vertical supports where needed and didn't span longer than 14" with the horizontals if it was going to support anything. I made most of my own fasteners for the mechanical well (still 1/4" bolt though)I tried not to use the fasteners to support anything just keep everything in place if that makes any sense. Please post a link to your build if you've got one. Good times!

Yeah you're totally fine with the 1/4" fasteners on anything simply supported and static. I designed mine around a 3/4 ton point load on an 8ft cantilevered frame. Different animal. Surprisingly, the 1/4 fasteners would have held the frame by itself fine (1G), but not additional loads (people, bouncing, etc.). Here's my progress, you're WAY ahead! http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/112027-The-Ute-II-E350-RB-7-3-ZF6/page5

Clean1

Observer
Dude I hope your joking Haha! You cut the friggin roof off your van! I may be further along but you're way ahead brother. I remember your thread from awhile ago when doing research for my build, I think you had just finished your manual conversion (another first). Your design and work are top notch I look forward to following along on the rest of your build, thanks for the kind words on mine.

naterry

13 Cheeseburgers
Dude I hope your joking Haha! You cut the friggin roof off your van! I may be further along but you're way ahead brother. I remember your thread from awhile ago when doing research for my build, I think you had just finished your manual conversion (another first). Your design and work are top notch I look forward to following along on the rest of your build, thanks for the kind words on mine.

Well thanks but I'm dreading the electrical and plumbing the most. Uhg! Takes too long, hard to stay motivated.

MudderNutter

Adventurer
Great thread! I have just recently taken a huge interest in the new Transits. Which engine option did you end up going with, and how do you like it so far? (may have missed that somewhere, but didn't see it). Also, how do you like the height of the mid roof for your purposes?

I'm loving the detail in your build!

Clean1

Observer
Great thread! I have just recently taken a huge interest in the new Transits. Which engine option did you end up going with, and how do you like it so far? (may have missed that somewhere, but didn't see it). Also, how do you like the height of the mid roof for your purposes?

I'm loving the detail in your build!

MN Thanks! I got the standard 3.7 gas v-6 and it's been great! I'm probably right at the 9100LB GVW and it feels like it could easily do more no problem. I rarely give it more than a quarter throttle on starts or hills on the highway and it keeps up with traffic fine. It really handles the load great IMHO much better than my 2003 E-350 that was always loaded. With no insulation the height of the van was fine (I'm 6') Now that I have insulation and a headliner I'm bending my head down all the time, not optimal but much better than my E-350 was. As always with builds like this it seems like there's always a compromise. The van has been great and IMHO a big improvement (handling, braking, turning, acceleration, comfort and usefulness) over my old van.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3