Forester: ExPo Subaru Project

Pedro

Capitan rally fluffer
Glad you have it all repaired. I will be interested to see what you guys come up with for this.

Jrally

Adventurer
Glad you got it running again. I've got a new interest in Subis, just bought a 2.5RS single cam engine to play around with.

-Jon

crawldit

Adventurer
Been reading these Subaru build threads with interest lately. Had to sell my Rubicon and am cruising around in a Volvo C30 for the time being. I moved from Phoenix to Anchorage last year and REALLY miss having any sort of off-road capability. I swear that Alaska is the Subaru capital of the world and that tells me a lot about the capability of the AWD system. Hopefully before winter hits I will be in one myself and can start my own build thread :elkgrin:

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
It's Alive!

About 16 hours over last weekend and the Subaru is ALIVE!! :victory:

[video=vimeo;28068635]http://vimeo.com/28068635[/video]

It all went very smooth actually. It took about 3.5 hours to get the old engine out and another 2 to transfer several parts from the old engine over to the new long-block we got from Japan.

The biggest hold up, that prevented us from doing it all in one day, was the need to retain the original engine's crank shaft gear pulley and cam shaft pulley. Each of these have raised metal tabs that interface with magnetic sensors to tell the computer what the engine is doing. The new motor had these pulleys on it but they had different metal tabs than the original pulleys so the computer did not understand their signals. We changed over to the original pulleys and the engine roared to life! :wings:

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
The new/used engine in the Forester is sounding really good. I think it was a successful engine swap! We have about 125 miles on it since installing the engine, about 35 miles around town and the rest on the highway. We're taking it easy and double checking a few things every few days to make sure nothing comes up and the new engine takes well.

Next on the list are a sturdy set of all terrain tires followed by a lift including springs, struts and spacers followed by underbody protection and a few other surprise features!

Regards,
Brian

Jrally

Adventurer
If you'e around at the end of the month, I would love to com check it out. I'll be up in Prescott the last day of Sept. for the Prescott Rally. I'll be running the Course Closing car again, in the Celica. Friday afternoon, the race starts out of Tim's Subaru, Saturday morning out of the Prescottonian.

-Jon

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
Now with the engine running smoothly we are researching the more in-depth modifications and sourcing parts. We're also beginning to do a bit of detailed cleanup. The long holiday weekend allowed for a good washing, detail of the bumpers and black trim and a refresh of the yellowing headlights.

In this picture you can see how foggy the lenses are from years of oxidation.
L1080533.JPG

The guys at the local NAPA recommended this 3M sanding kit and it worked very well. It took about 20 minutes per light beginning with dry sanding with 500 grit, then 800 grit, wet sanding with 1200 grit and then buffing with a rubbing compound.
L1080536.JPG

After the first round of dry sanding:
L1080537.JPG

I was surprised at the final results!
L1080540.JPG

Brian

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
Bumpers?

We're going to replace the front and rear bumpers due to a bit of damage on the current ones. I've been looking but the only aftermarket bumper I have found is from SubaExtreme and I don't believe they have any distribution into the US.

Does anyone know of other options in the US besides the stock bumpers?

Certainly not looking for anything big and heavy. light and low profile rather.
The SubaExtreme rear bumper actually has a tire carrier that would be nice for the larger spare tire.

Thanks
Brian

Pedro

Capitan rally fluffer
There is not a US offering that I know of. I would personally contact Jackson Rally (www.jacksonrally.com) They are working on a bit more extreme forester and may have some plans already laid out. but you could get something built for you, to your specs easily.

They have a high clearance WRX wagon built already, so it may give you some ideas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxXGdvVA2oA&feature=player_embedded

IMG_1800.JPG

Photog

Explorer
When we still lived in Flagstaff (1987), we had a 1979 Sub Brat. I built a tube bumper for it. Light, strong, and easy to mount. Not difficult. I like the simplicity of the Jackson Rally bumper, but I would want it to stick out far enough to stand on it.

blupaddler

Conspirator
Congrats on getting it up and running again!

Would you be able to measure the maximum distance on the roof racks for me if you get a chance? I need a longer roofline for transporting my aquatic toys...

Also, I didn't see it mentioned, but any reason why you chose the non-turbo? Was it price, or not wanting the extra stuff?
:chef:

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
Hey Rob,
I can get you the roof and rack measurements.
I need them anyway in preparation for a rack and tent.
We plan on using a Thule system, towers and bars, to mount a tent to.

As for the Turbo question, it was really a combination of availability, cost and the intent on keeping it simple. Now, if they had had a diesel in stock when we ordered.....:elkgrin:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77