Forester: ExPo Subaru Project

Superu_legacy

Subaru-Coffee-Chocolate
Been lurking and now Subscribed.
I like this thread and (as a Subaru fan) I may have a couple thoughts, after reading it's entirety.

BTW, give a holler next time you're up Moab way. :smiley_drive:

Chazz Layne

Administrator
Welcome to ExPo! I was checking out your build in the photo thread, sweet setup. I've been tempted more than once to do a build-up on one of the sedans.

jeff parker

Observer
Chazz, what fuel mileage are you getting? A couple of pages back someone had posted 16-20mpg which kind of makes this pointless if it doesn't do better than that.

Chazz Layne

Administrator
Chazz, what fuel mileage are you getting? A couple of pages back someone had posted 16-20mpg which kind of makes this pointless if it doesn't do better than that.

I believe that was with larger, heavier, less aerodynamic MT tires. We're running an only slightly taller (and slightly narrower) AT tire. Early guestimates after tires and alignment put the average around the 25mpg mark. It will be headed out to southern California for OAUSA's BorregoFest in October, and I'll get more accurate statistics on that trip.

I have yet to highway test with the rooftop tent installed. There will also be some additional weight from the full underbelly skid and bumpers, but I don't expect it to have much effect.

Chazz Layne

Administrator
attachment.php

Here's an updated photo with the rooftent installed, which wasn't originally intended to be a part of this build. We tossed it up there to get it off my trailer and out of the way, but it fit so well we decided to try it out for a while...and I'm glad we did. At just a hair over 100 pounds it is barely noticeable, and with the Ironman springs the car still corners better than stock. Ultimately, its effect on highway mileage will be the determining factor in whether we keep the tent up there or not.

The Foz got to see some slower-speed trail time at the open house last weekend on a moderately rocky section of the scenic run. I'm both surprised and impressed with its low-end capability. In its stock form the traction control is useless in this type of terrain, and the limited ground clearance requires very careful line selection, but a surprisingly adequate amount of torque is available from the little 2.5L boxer between 1,200 and 1,600 RPM. As long as you can keep all 4 wheels on the ground, it seems it will crawl up just about anything.

Attachments

• 1097005_10151815980738428_479858623_o.jpg
    1097005_10151815980738428_479858623_o.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 1,447

Chazz Layne

Administrator
Not too much, as I don't have much information on it myself. They are made in France: http://lahussarde.com, and from what I understand it's a demo unit and the only one in existence stateside. With a little practice it can be set up or torn down by one person in under 5 minutes. It does need a little work to make it usable in wet or cold weather though, such as adding weather stripping to keep the cold and water out (we've been carrying the mattress separate since it leaks when closed up).

A few more photos of it can be found here: http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...uot-range-extender-quot?p=1354232#post1354232

E.J.

Explorer

Just barely fit—clearance between the taller 215/70R16 Yokohama Geolandars and the strut tower is so tight you can't squeeze a pencil between them. Fortunately, we've experienced no rubbing even with the steering at full lock. The new tires grip fiercely in dirt, and I've been told they are equally capable in sand and snow. They still inspire confidence on a twisty mountain two-lane and are only slightly more willing to break loose, a fair compromise.

I see your gap and raise you
1175094_694525100576123_137716470_n.jpg
215/75 15 Toyo Open Country stuffed under my first gen rear strut. I'm running 6mm less offset than the stock rims, safe to say this is the largest size you can run on this generation.

Chazz Layne

Administrator
I'll be interested to see how you handle recovery points etc on this Forester, maybe even try to glean some tricks for other soft roaders; most of which will rarely see anything much worse than gravel roads anyway.

There's already a suitable recovery point in the back, opposite the exhaust.

foz-recovery-point.jpg

On the front, the transport tie-downs are available on either rail just forward of the wheels. I wouldn't trust it for a kinetic recovery or to pull out another vehicle, but it's adequate (barely) to winch either manually or from another vehicle.

foz-transport-hook.jpg

All 3 will fit the average bow shackle.

Chazz Layne

Administrator
Update

Current fuel economy numbers: the Foz has done better than expected in the economy department, even with a roof tent it's been able to hold on to 20s. The tent seems to make little or no difference at lower speeds. All measurements are with the 35mm lift kit and oversize 215/70R16 Yokohama Geolandars.

With roof tent:
~22 highway (cruising at 75mph)
~22.5 during "spirited" mountain driving (aka, tires squeeling around the corners :smiley_drive: )
~21 on a daily city commute of 3.5 miles

Without roof tent:
~25 highway (cruising at 75mph)
~23.5 "spirited" mountain driving
~21 city commute

Trail use tends to be about the same as "spirited mountain driving" on a vehicle like this. Low speed crawling is tough to measure since we haven't run into many spots requiring low speeds that are long enough to get a measurement.

The roof tent was a fun diversion, but a bit outside the scope of a light/economical adventurer so we've pulled it off in favor of cargo space (bikes, canoe, etc). With capability sorted, it's time to look at protection with full underbody armor, cargo handling, and a few convenience items. Details to come...

The tent is now for sale here: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/118981-FS-Ultralight-Rooftent-on-a-Budget-500-OBO

Chazz Layne

Administrator
It was brought up as a consideration, yes. The turbo is nice to have at speed, but it's performance is at the sacrifice of low end torque. In low speed situations the naturally aspirated motor is king—it will crawl up moderate obstacles without ever passing 1500 RPM. A local friend with the same setup on a 2004 XT was shocked at the amount of "power" ours has when I handed him the keys.

I can't comment on the newer CVT trans as I have no experience with it. It wasn't an option on the SG-series Foresters.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77