Forester: ExPo Subaru Project

Chazz Layne

Administrator
FOZMTs002.jpg

I love it!

So here's a question for you—IIRC both our model years share the same suspension design—how are you able to stuff tires that size in there with stock wheels, and still clear the bottom of the strut tower?

Ours showed up with mere 225/60s on it, and on inspection to track down the culprit of a rubbing issue I noticed "clean, shiny spots" on the spring perches. While it has been lifted 35mm, its a spring lift, so would have no affect on the distance between the tire and perch (which is currently too tight to fit a pencil in between).

Stev0

225 70 16 is the Max you can get in there, unless you add lower strut spacers. This will elongate the strut length and give you more space to fit a larger tire. I've been down the path of trying to get the foz on a level where it can compete with the likes of say a liberty, but it just won't happen. There is far too little articulation and no lockers available. Bigger tires will also mess with the gearing.

For gravel I don't want anything else though.

Sent from my A501 using Tapatalk 2

Allan Jungst

looks a lot like the direction I'm going, Minus the lift... still, I love it! any cool interior Mods planned? Glad its finally coming together!

dra2120

Its funny to see all the subie hate in this thread. Coming from the performance side of subaru, I can tell you they are some of the most reliable, and most capable vehicles made. I have many friends that are running 500+ HP and drive the cars every day without any issues. I personally have a very rare forester that I beat on everyday and the only issues I've ever had were from my own doing. That said there have been some pockets of bad engines (08 STI for one), the big thing is knowing the cars and their quirks. One of the big ones being DO NOT run mobil 1 oil in a subaru, I am a huge fan of synthetic oil, but subie engines for some reason do not like mobil 1 and will cause the engines to spin bearings with extended use. Try Nasioc.com or subaruforester.org if you have any questions. All that said, this should be a very interesting build.

just for fun here is my forester (one of only 300 in the country):
_MG_0599.jpg

Chazz Layne

Administrator
225 70 16 is the Max you can get in there, unless you add lower strut spacers...I've been down the path of trying to get the foz on a level where it can compete with the likes of say a liberty, but it just won't happen...Bigger tires will also mess with the gearing.

Indeed, it is noticeable even at 225/60. Besides, I have the Discovery for difficult trails and heavy loads. What little I've done with the Foz so far, it feels like just the right combination of lift and tires as it sits (currently 35mm springs only). In fact, height has not been an issue at all... street tread tires have been the big hold-up. I may bring the tire size back down a notch since its so close to the max and we're already seeing rubbing issues (on suspension components, not trim).

looks a lot like the direction I'm going, Minus the lift... still, I love it! any cool interior Mods planned? Glad its finally coming together!

The plan from here is light, low, fast. No significant mods to the interior, other than a (light weight) slide-out storage drawer for the back so it doesn't have to be unpacked to get at the spare tire. Unfortunately, even with the front seats all the way forward, there is nowhere near enough length for me to comfortably sleep. A flat, narrow "basket" will also go on the roof bars as a place to stow extra gear. It should not have much of an affect on mileage since it will be slim and low. Everything else will be entirely (and easily) removable so as to minimize the effect on fuel when not needed, such as during commuter duty.

We toyed with the idea of a carputer and other modifications, but it defeats the spirit of the project—simple, light weight, budget minded. Any sort of "integration" can be easily handled by a modern off-the-shelf "smart" stereo and an iPhone running Topo Maps.

Chazz Layne

Administrator
One of the big ones being DO NOT run mobil 1 oil in a subaru, I am a huge fan of synthetic oil, but subie engines for some reason do not like mobil 1 and will cause the engines to spin bearings with extended use.

Thanks for the heads up, I have an unopened jug of it that was going to get poured in next weekend. :Wow1:

spikolli

sleeping in the foz

I have been sleeping in my forester with no problems. Set the front seats all the way forward, remove headrests and recline fully. Fold rear down on top of front seatback. Voila 7+' of legroom.

MrCoffee

A 1978 Subaru Brat was my first car, my mom had a 1978 Station wagon so my dad bought me the Brat. First car I let him finance me on, it took ten years before I let him finance me again.:) I had it a year and then got a 1966 Scout and my sister got it for her first car, she is a year younger than me. She drove it for several years until she was partway through college and then she got rid of it. Fun cars!

My first "new" car was an 1983 Subaru Brat.... loved it to pieces. Went everywhere I needed it too. Always thought of getting another, but you don't find them in good shape anywhere these days, at least not at a price I can afford. Do have a 2003 Outback with very mileage at home (my wife's rig) that is waiting on front brakes.... at the moment, our Durango is out choice for an ExPo truck, but more any more the Outback is looking like a second option.. just started reading the threads here.... ahhh so many possibilities, so little funds.. :/

E.J.

Explorer
225 70 16 is the Max you can get in there, unless you add lower strut spacers. This will elongate the strut length and give you more space to fit a larger tire. I've been down the path of trying to get the foz on a level where it can compete with the likes of say a liberty, but it just won't happen. There is far too little articulation and no lockers available. Bigger tires will also mess with the gearing.

For gravel I don't want anything else though.

Sent from my A501 using Tapatalk 2
Respectfully I think you mean 225 70 15 for the SF body style with stock struts. That's about a 27.4" tire, 215 75 15's (27.7") barely fit and 215 70 16's (28") barely don't. Not saying they've never been massaged in with a BFH to the lower spring perch. Not suggesting anybody go that far, not saying I wouldn't do it to my own rig though.

MrCoffee

Currently working on a Dodge build, but I love this thread, and I am now looking at my wife's 03 Outback.... :) It has 243k on it, so she is going to want somethings at some point.... :D

Of course her rig has had the engine rebuilt twice.... and the New England weather is catching up with the body, and we are starting to see some rot. But it still might be a fun project.....

Chazz Layne

Administrator
So the suspension took a bit more back-and-forth than I had planned. The initial installation of the springs went pretty smooth, but I ultimately had to do the job 5 times to weed out all the bugs. None of the problems were due to the upgrades, it was all from existing damage or worn out parts that popped up as each previously discovered issue was worked out. I'm very glad I did the work myself instead of hiring it out at the quoted $800... I have it down to a 2-hour job now.

I think we also solved the mystery of the smaller, mismatched spare tire on a bent rim. I had an alignment done while getting the tires installed, and when I picked it up the technician said it was the worst he had ever seen. Bent rim, mismatched leaky tire, pulling right, wobble, and rips in the barely-attached front bumper all make it a safe bet the car was out being jumped, and landed badly on the right front corner. The Fozzy now drives smoothly, quietly, and tracks straight. :bike_rider:

On to the good stuff...

Suspension Upgrades—Ironman +35mm and KYB GR-2

The strut in that same front corner was also blown. With just over 100,000 miles on the chassis we opted to simply replace all of them. KYB’s slightly stiffer and better handling GR-2 series struts were selected, and they do not disappoint.

The star of the suspension, however, is the +35mm Ironman spring lift now fitted at all four corners. In spite of the lift, the vehicle has less body roll than it did originally, and handles with impressive competency on the street. It also still rides nice and smooth, making it a pleasure to drive. Bonus: it appears to be impossible to bottom the new suspension out, the Schooby is now cleared for take-off. :D

Tires—Geolandar A/T-S 215/70R16

Ever the optimist I elected to follow the build of a certain Forester-of-the-Month—a build with the same size tire and no lift—despite the warning that 215/70s barely don't fit. The shop called, way too early for the tires to be mounted and alignment done. "We can squeeze it in there if we do a little trimming on the plastic bits." Reluctantly, I gave the go-ahead. The required trimming turned out to be so minor I still haven't found it. The larger tire's effect on performance is undetectable compared to the 225/60R16 that was mounted previously, if anything the car is just a bit zippier than it was.

Just barely fit—clearance between the taller 215/70R16 Yokohama Geolandars and the strut tower is so tight you can't squeeze a pencil between them. Fortunately, we've experienced no rubbing even with the steering at full lock. The new tires grip fiercely in dirt, and I've been told they are equally capable in sand and snow. They still inspire confidence on a twisty mountain two-lane and are only slightly more willing to break loose, a fair compromise.

Phase One Complete

With an acceptable running ground clearance and some nice grippy tires, the Foz Project is ready for its first real adventure. I think we've settled on southern Utah, but the debate rages on over canoe vs. mountain bikes...

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
I was wondering if this would end up as another long forgotten Expo project....So much gets started and hyped then dies off when something else new and interesting comes along.

Looking forward to some trip reports.

E.J.

Explorer
Good looking stormtrooper right there! FWIW my advice on 215/70 16's is for first gen 98-02 Foz's, second gen has just a little more room under the perch.

Chazz Layne

Administrator
I'd say it applies on the 03-05's too, at least as a cautionary consideration. I could easily see the same size from a different manufacturer rubbing the strut tower. I haven't measured it, but I'd guess it to be around 5mm of clearance. :eek:

Somewhere in Utah over the weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeekend...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77