Forester: ExPo Subaru Project

Frank

Explorer
The problem with this entire equation is that it is a Subaru and will grenade anything you toss into this vehicle.

It's been fact a few times on this build.

Save your time, money and efforts and move onto something else.

Recce01

Adventurer
Wow! Dont give up on this subaru, and for God's sake, do not put a 6cyl in it LOL, or an STi [Matt!?!]. Worst case, pass it over to us, we will get after it! We ran Subaru rally cars since 1999, and know exactly what this car needs! Matt knows how to reach us :)

Scott G.

Applejack

Explorer
Problem with the STI motor, or any forced induction motor is the lack of torque when going slow. The Ej251 is a great motor that can easily chug around at 900rpm in low 1st. Its a little underpowered, but it has good torque between 1500-3500 rpm. My XT sucked at 1000rpm. The turbo lag on the trail either meant, no power or roosting everybody with rocks.

Yeah turbos can be finicky that way but there are solutions to reducing turbo lag if one were desiring to go the turbo'd route.

Jrally

Adventurer
Grab the engine out of my garage, have a good machine shop go through it, new bearings, rings, valve guides and seals and be back up and running in a few weeks. You already know how easy it is to change the engine in and out.

-Jon

casm

Observer
The problem with this entire equation is that it is a Subaru and will grenade anything you toss into this vehicle.

It's been fact a few times on this build.

As someone who is on his second EJ25 at 137,000 miles in a '99 Forester... I'm inclined to (somewhat) agree. That said:

Save your time, money and efforts and move onto something else.

An EJ25 can be made into a reliable engine, but it has to be done right and they don't respond well to thrashing. I started out with EA81 Subarus (Brats), and the longevity differences between the two are night and day. Subaru pretty much lost the plot when they went to timing belts, and again when they dropped low-range transmission for the US market.

Wow! Dont give up on this subaru, and for God's sake, do not put a 6cyl in it LOL

Disagreed. I've seen an overall-better survival and longevity rate on EZ30 engines than EJ25Ts, though there are fewer of them out there and fitting one to a Forester is non-trivial. If you want both power and torque, the EZ30 is a good choice provided the donor has been looked after. Just don't use any 4EAT or 5EAT with it that has VDC; VDC is a giant heap of crap, and most EZ30-equipped vehicles had it.

or an STi

Agreed. Peak power miles up in the rev range really sucks on the trail, as well as the vulnerability issues associated with a turbo. To make my bigotry clear, the only way I like turbos in trail rigs is on diesels.

Just my $0.02, but the H6 (at least in 3.0-litre form) is a pretty decent lump.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Unfortunately this EJ25 story is pretty common.

They simply are not reliable motors. And there are many reasons that a lot of people yank the EJ25 in favor of a EJ22

The EJ22 is the most reliable OHC motor subaru has produced yet. The EJ25, probably the least reliable.

Me? Im sticking to the last pushrod motor Subaru ever built. And arguably the most reliable motor Subaru ever built. EA81, built like tanks, and run forever even while being flogged. Though, fairly underpowered.

Wow, I must have the only good EJ25 on the planet according to you guys. Drove it off the lot new, currently has 190k. With the original head gaskets.

Pedro

Capitan rally fluffer
No, you just bought one that had the upgraded HG. Most people just throw a new HG on the motor when they overheat the hell out of it. But no one ever checks the blocks for true and then they have the problem all over again. I have a 2.5l turbo with 166k on it and it isn't babied. I wouldn't hesitate to drive it across the country tomorrow. While a 99 forester with questionable history, yeah.. but that goes with most things.

Pedro

Capitan rally fluffer
you should have no problems with the engine. Enjoy never replacing the timing belt. I plan on eventually acquiring a BRZ which has a FB engine as well.

bloodycape

Observer
What is the update on this. This thread actually has me a bit sold on looking at a Forester(maybe Outback if better) as an outlanding rig.

Warn Industries

Supporting Vendor
I actually just bought a '12 Forester 2.5X. Just installed fog lamps, Rally Armor mud flaps, and need to put my BajaRack on the top. This should be a great exploring rig.

- Andy

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Project is a bit on hold right now. I know Chazz has ordered parts to rebuild the engine but there has been too much going on at the OJ/Expo headquarters. Hopefully after Overland Expo work can restart as I am hoping Chazz can take the Forester to the Maya Rally!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77