Four By Land's Discovery

MuddyMudskipper

Camp Ninja
FourByLand said:
Those look great Rich!

I also read about these causing the third to seperate from the housing if hit hard enough, any issues with this.

Thanks! In the four plus years I've abused the QT's no. The thirds are held on with ten bolts which lead me to believe that the housings were hit extremely hard and in a spot that would have to be perfect for that to happen. As you can see from my pics the bulk of the scratching is in the front to the center of the front guard which has less than half an inch of clearance to the round part of the diff.

sinuhexavier said:
It's always surprised me that the rear QT diff didn't extend just a little to offer that ujoint a little protection. They are nice though.

FourByLand said:
That's funny because when I look at the rear I think the same thing.

Just seems like it should just be that way.

I agree but it is a better slider than a complete guard (for the pinion). Enough of the rear DS flange is covered for it not to be an issue. As you can see from the pictures there aren't any marks or scratches on the U-joint so the circumstances would again have to be perfect for the a rock to do any damage. An extra plate could be added to protect the pinion if your needs see fit. Overall, IMO the QT's offer the best all-around protection.

For the ultimate in protection one could always opt for sewer caps and QT's.

Funrover

Expedition Leader
FourByLand said:
Has your front one ever popped off?

The SouthDown looks nice.

:clapsmile

Just got it as a gift, I am welding a few small beads on. I have friends with the same one, Don't back up and you will be fine... I have seen them pop off way to often to not weld a section or 2

FourByLand

Expedition Leader
OEM fender flares

Flares are back on.

DSC04963.jpg

Love at sunset.

DSC04962.jpg

Last edited:

FourByLand

Expedition Leader
sinuhexavier said:
I have to say I'm a big fan of the sans flare D2. Have you pulled the trigger on a rear bumper yet?

I like the balance of black and green and since they were off I noticed rock chips so back on they went.

As far as a rear bumper goes... I am still on the fence, sparing no time exploring options that's for sure.

More than likely it will be Rovertym.

:costumed-smiley-007

MuddyMudskipper

Camp Ninja
I have to say I am a big fan of when people do their trucks the way they see fit. That being said, you must get the RTE rear bumper.:jump:

Last edited:

craig

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
On a D2 I'd go with a Greg Davis bumper. The RTE bumpers look good, but they don't improve the departure angle which is one of the biggest flaws of the D2.

Craig

FourByLand

Expedition Leader
MuddyMudskipper said:
I have to say I am a big fan of when people do their trucks they way they see fit. That being said, you must get the RTE rear bumper.:jump:

But, I am on the West coast?!?!?

:D

FourByLand

Expedition Leader
craig said:
On a D2 I'd go with a Greg Davis bumper. The RTE bumpers look good, but they don't improve the departure angle which is one of the biggest flaws of the D2.

Craig

Craig,

Exactly my issue here, they didn't really improve on the angle they just beefed it up to take a hit, but they improved on the front.

I know you have wheeled you truck pretty hard and was wondering if you had any feed back to offer, any "wish it was stronger here" or " wish it was..." you get it.

Thanks

:archaeolo

craig

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
FourByLand said:
Craig,

Exactly my issue here, they didn't really improve on the angle they just beefed it up to take a hit, but they improved on the front.

I know you have wheeled you truck pretty hard and was wondering if you had any feed back to offer, any "wish it was stronger here" or " wish it was..." you get it.

Thanks

:archaeolo

I've run a few trails, but I definitely haven't wheeled my vehicle hard.

I wouldn't change a thing about the Greg Davis bumper. It is one of the few pieces of gear that I have that I have absolutely no complaints about. Improved departure angle, solid quarter panel sliders, receiver is raised up over the factory reciever, etc. I purchased a Scorpion Racing fuel tank skid plate to go with it. I like it over the Rovertym fuel tank skid because it tucks up higher.

Craig

FourByLand

Expedition Leader
craig said:
I've run a few trails, but I definitely haven't wheeled my vehicle hard.

I wouldn't change a thing about the Greg Davis bumper. It is one of the few pieces of gear that I have that I have absolutely no complaints about. Improved departure angle, solid quarter panel sliders, receiver is raised up over the factory reciever, etc. I purchased a Scorpion Racing fuel tank skid plate to go with it. I like it over the Rovertym fuel tank skid because it tucks up higher.

Craig

Didn't mean to imply that you were hard on your truck, just that you have had a chance to test out the Greg Davis rear bumper.

Thanks for your input.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach