FOX Steering Stabilizer kit for E_Series (WTD)

Weldtec Designs

Supporting Sponsor
Hey guys, We added a fox steering stabilizer to our lineup of Ford E Series parts. This will work with all of our kits and most likely some of the other guys including stock vans. ( we are yet to install on a stock van so cannot guarantee it will work)
The kit includes the Fox Steering shock and hardware to install it. It does require you to drill 3-4 holes in your cross member. Here is a look at the kit.

INSTALLED:

http://www.weldtec-designs.com/product/e-series-steering-stabilizer-kit/

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
Ford stabilizer generally found on ambulances, drw c&c, etc,
345hkl2.jpg

SteeringDamper.jpg

assembled
80-_57_b57df19022e51cc3cead136625f35b715b244361.jpg

installed, funky upside-down camera angle
80-van_steering_stabilizer_a084d2c05c1fd6529fa2f850245acd67a13abca6.jpg

installed, better angle
IMAG0159_zps4cd532d0.jpg

crappy moog stabilizer kit
41ZMW4AAPDL.jpg

much better monroe stabilizer kit
partImageDisplay.do

The moog crap (~$100 @ Amazon) bolts both ends of the stabilizer to moving suspension parts. The Monroe kit (~$50 @ Amazon) mounts one end to the frame rail and the other end mounts to a moving suspension part, just like the Ford setup (two-piece, bolt-together bracketry instead of welded one-piece) and similar to the WTD stuff (frame-rail instead of engine crossmember)

My question, other than the Fox vs. Monroe/Ford version of a shock/stabilizer/gas charged cylinder...what's the WTD bonus? Any special reason you mount to the engine cross member instead of the frame-rail? I'm guessing lift height?

Last edited:

Grngiant

Adventurer
Looks to me like it tucks the assembly higher up out of the way. More importantly the arc that the stabilizer must follow is very small when mounted near the pitman arm.
Just guessing.

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
...My question, other than the Fox vs. Monroe/Ford version of a shock/stabilizer/gas charged cylinder...what's the WTD bonus? Any special reason you mount to the engine cross member instead of the frame-rail? I'm guessing lift height?

Looks to me like it tucks the assembly higher up out of the way...

It is referring to either the Ford way (frame rail mount) or the WTD way (engine crossmember mount) I think. If it is the WTD way, then no it doesn't mount higher, but lower instead. The frame rail mounted stabilizers have their bodies above the lowest point of the engine crossmember but the engine crossmember mounted stabilizers fall below that. Being that both styles have one end of the stabilizer mounted to the draglink, their linear motions of extension and retraction must be roughly the same unless one or both limits turning radius (unlikely). Their vertical travel (the deflection angle in their bushings) would vary a bit but given that they both use flexible bushings and must deflect somewhat I doubt either style offers great benefits in that regard. That being said, consider that the Ford bracket and the WTD bracket place the eye of the stabilizer in opposite orientations. That must make some difference. Ford's design would allow the stablizer to pivot down if the opposite end was detached and the WTD would allow it to pivot forward instead. I suspect Ford's is more dependent on proper front to back alignment (consistent on stock vans) while the WTD would be more forgiving (desirable in modified rigs).

Last edited:

REDOVAL

Adventurer
I am running the Ford OEM setup with a 2009 Dodge 2500 Ram damper on my van. I have the Weldtec 6" kit and would purchase this in a heartbeat if I didn't have my current setup (might get it just to try it out!). It makes a big difference in reducing the nervous feeling of the front end, especially on the freeway with larger than OEM tires. Just get the kit and enjoy one finger driving in the rough stuff.

Scott

jblaze5779

Observer
I have the ford kit on my weldtec 6" lifted van. I'm looking to mount a second stabilizer by modifying the stock brackets. The original setup made a huge difference when my van was stock height.

REDOVAL

Adventurer
I have the ford kit on my weldtec 6" lifted van. I'm looking to mount a second stabilizer by modifying the stock brackets. The original setup made a huge difference when my van was stock height.

Hit up Jeremy at Weldtec and see if they can do a Fox damper to replace the stock unit. I believe they can be valved to suit your liking as well.

Scott

tgreening

Expedition Leader
I dunno. Ive got a 6" lift running wheel/tire combos pushing 200# ea with no stabilizer at all and haven't missed it one minute. I e always been of the opinion that if you really needed one, something was wrong.

BajaSportsmobile

Baja Ironman
I tell people that if they are installing a Steering Stabilizer to mask a problem, then they ought to just fix the problem.

We install FOX Steering Stabilizers for added performance off-road. They reduce feedback through the steering wheel when rocks, ruts and the like are encountered.

They also look cool...

Petrolburner

Explorer
I'm running the 4" WeldTec lift kit and on my last trip to Baja I recall coming to the conclusion that I didn't want or need a steering stabilizer. I only have 30.5" tall tires though. If the steering ratio was a little quicker, say 2.7 turns lock to lock instead of 4 full turns, then it would probably be more useful. Just a guess.

REDOVAL

Adventurer
I would agree with BajaSportsmobile about the steering damper masking a problem. The issue has more to do with the asymmetrical beam length and steering linkage length that propagates bump steer, even in a perfectly new van. This is amplified as the vehicle's wheel travel increases unless a steering swing set is installed to accommodate for the beam length to steering arm length. It would be ideal to run equal length beams and steering to let the front end really shine, but the average van consumer cannot realize the benefits since vans aren't likely to be driven as hard in the rough stuff.

I have driven the van both with and without the dampers and have to say they make a notable difference in numbing the van's tendency to wander and follow lines in the road. It can also be argued that adding more caster to the front end would do the same to calm it down, but WeldTec, Agile, myself (smb forum) and others are trying to sell the kits so we need to have our say. On a stock van that regularly sees increased load capabilities, the OEM damper assy does a good job (as Ford intended). For the modified 2wd and independent front crowd, the WTD and Agile setups appear to work as intended as well. No real argument for either side, but in my experience they make a positive difference with a modified vehicle, especially when the terrain gets rough.

Scott

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
My interest in a steering damper isn't bumpsteer related in the least. I've experienced that in my lifted jeep/truck days but never in my stock van. What I have felt in the van is wind-steer in crosswinds or when passing semi's, a wandering front-end on grooved concrete (common in my area) and a numbness in my steering in the centered position. That being said, I've coped with it as-is for over a year so I wouldn't say a steering damper is needed to mask these problems but I think I'd like a little heavier steering feel (via the damper's resistance to movement) and a more steady center position (ditto).

That being said, what I'd really like to find is a bargain on the Safe-T Plus damper.

I'm also working with Borgeson to fit a steering pump pressure adjustment kit to improve steering feedback by reducing the power-assist in my steering system.

Last edited:

REDOVAL

Adventurer
My interest in a steering damper isn't bumpsteer related in the least. I've experienced that in my lifted jeep/truck days but never in my stock van. What I have felt in the van is wind-steer in crosswinds or when passing semi's, a wandering front-end on grooved concrete (common in my area) and a numbness in my steering in the centered position. That being said, I've coped with it as-is for over a year so I wouldn't say a steering damper is needed to mask these problems but I think I'd like a little heavier steering feel (via the damper's resistance to movement) and a more steady center position (ditto).

That being said, what I'd really like to find is a bargain on the Safe-T Plus damper.

I'm also working with Borgeson to fit a steering pump pressure adjustment kit to improve steering feedback by reducing the power-assist in my steering system.

Try aligning with a little more caster and you won't need those changes. Just a couple of degrees makes a huge change in the vague feedback from the stock alignment numbers and calms down the steering.

Scott

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
Try aligning with a little more caster and you won't need those changes. Just a couple of degrees makes a huge change in the vague feedback from the stock alignment numbers and calms down the steering.

Scott

Why don't you try aligning my kingpin twin i-beam front end with a little more caster and tell me how it works?

Hint: not adjustable. I have checked it and it's in spec and all parts in good repair.

Thanks for the tip just the same.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger