From company cargo van to family camper

hyperboarder

Adventurer
I think an unintended pull out would work well enough where it's at, it's angled downwards a bit and relatively unobstructed. Hoping I never actually test that theory.

hyperboarder

Adventurer
Went to the junkyard yesterday afternoon. 1 Econoline on the whole lot. 2 Pontiac Azteks. Not a small yard, I was blown away that they didn't have their usual 4-8. Nothing I needed on that van either.

Current junkyard wishlists:

E-series specific:
OEM dual battery parts
Cruise setup
A/C setup

Other:
Frame mounted propane tank
Roof vent/fan
Bench or captains seat with built in belts for the rear

I know that the Sienna seats are all the rage for the rear, but being a convenience buyer (aka cheap) I'm looking for other options. Looking yesterday I found that the 3rd row from newer Suburbans and the driver/passenger from 2000's era Trailblazers (and their various iterations) look like they'll work with a bit of bracket fab. Honda Element front seats as well. Anyone else know of other options?

Last edited:

hyperboarder

Adventurer
Pics from the weekend:

The kids are killing me though, as is the setup of the tent so high up. Is it feasible to sleep 2 adults and 2 kids inside an RB van? Any and all suggestions welcome.

Abitibi

Explorer
It is possible, we do it in our much smaller 1965 Econoline. But how old (or big) are your kids? If you put two separate flip up bunks for your kids it works pretty good. Or mounting points for a removable bed platform. Some design just need more time to setup...

The picture is just to give you an idea...

0c7c62421c55f11a446079bda2c3c752.jpg

Sent from my SGP511 using Tapatalk

hyperboarder

Adventurer
Girls are just shy of 3 and 5, aka little. Good looking plan there, doesn't seem too far from doable. I think I have to ditch the handy truck box bench and move the bench seat forward, otherwise not unreasonable.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
With your children being small/young, you could possibly use a bunk suspended over the front seats.

Here are a few examples.

frontbed2.jpg

0E751D79-BCC4-45C8-9293-D917A1D3B112-2287-000003E86360B6B2_zpsba79db31.jpg

hyperboarder

Adventurer
I was just starting to think about a hammock solution. That looks fairly similar. May very well work provided they're ok with hammock sleeping.

hyperboarder

Adventurer
Much pondering and measuring later I believe the PVC hammock solution will work great. One over the front seats, one in the back over our feet (heads towards the front of the vehicle). Need to extend the current platform forward after removing the truck toolbox and moving the bench seat forward. Should be relatively light work and it doesn't appear that I'll have to add anything to the interior to hang the platforms.

Question for sleeping, what do people use for a pad? Dogs will be back there while driving so it needs to be either durable or removable. There will be a Whynter fridge and a camp chef kitchen back there too.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
REI camp pads in the 3.5" size can work well, and are portable. Add a 1" memory foam topper for extra luxury.

Get a 4-5" foam mattress from Walmart, Amazon etc. Cut it to fit using a electric carving knife. Then cut into 2-3 sections. Have covers made for them. Sunbrella or other outdoor fabric works great and is very durable. Another option would be marine vinyl. It is nearly bullet proof, waterproof, and patchable.

The sections can then be folded up or stacked out of the way if needed. They could be used for lounging outdoors even.

Edit: for hanging stuff in the van, a rope run through a piece of PVC pipe can be closed in the door (with the pipe outside). This will likely support a small hammock with ease. Rubber or vinyl tubing around the rope will prevent damage to the paint/seals.

hyperboarder

Adventurer
Thanks luthj, good ideas on the pads. Trying to figure out if they can double as a divider for the dogs and the fridge/kitchen. Puppy chewed on the kitchen last trip, which is no bueno.

Since the RTT is coming down (moving it back to the trailer for now) I need to figure out what I want to do on the roof. Are there any large reasonably priced baskets? I love Aluminess but most of their stuff is more than I paid for the van.

hyperboarder

Adventurer
Hammocks made, took a couple late nights of learning to use the wife's sewing machine and they appear to have turned out great. Moving the seat and box this week and then I need to make the platform extension and the sleeping pad. Leaving for the next trip on the 20th. Busy days ahead.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
Pics or it didn't happen. :sombrero: Last time I used my wife's sewing machine it died a terrible death. :squint:

lazzris

We use hammocks for my girls they are 5 going on 6. We tie a knot on each side of the hammock and close it in the doors. We have done it three times this year and they love it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WRL