FS: 1997 Lexus LX450 - Locked & Lifted (HOUSTON)

Ash

Adventurer
SOLD

UPDATED PACKAGED DEAL OFFERED: See later post.

PRICE: $6,500

Basics:
Vehicle: Lexus LX450
Year: 1997
VIN: JT6HJ88J4V0182280 Mileage: 160,000 Approximate
Factory Options: Towing Package (Extra cooling)
Factory Options: Differential Lockers
Factory Options: 3rd Row Seating

History:
Originally a Florida car, this LX450 was probably used a soccer mom vehicle for most of its former life. Bought in 2009 by a Land Cruiser enthusiast and moved to New York State, this car then began a transformation to ‘Expedition' ready status with good maintenance and rebuilds, a lift and some armor. This enthusiast had another LX450 which was his primary rig and built to a very high level. I felt confident I was buying a great rig off a good guy. I bought the car in 2012, continued the maintenance and added more mods for camping. As far as I am aware, the rig was never used for rock crawling, just easy trails. My wife and I have enjoyed numerous trips in this great rig, exploring the south west in the Texas Hill Country, West Texas (Big Bend National Park), New Mexico and Arizona. We are selling as we are actually expatriates living in the US, and
we are being transferred by our company to Angola - hopefully we can pick up a similar cruiser in Africa to continue exploring....
This cruiser drives and handles brilliantly, the Old Man Emu set up is perfect and really improves the characteristics of the rig. When I get into unmodified Cruisers it's chalk and cheese. With the current set up, the rig responds better and better as it's loaded up for your next trip.

As it currently stands, we are probably departing the US within the next couple of months so the rig has been taken to our mechanic Javier at his shop the Gulf Coast Crawl Shop (the only place to go in Houston for serious Land Cruiser love). The rig leaked a lot of oil on our last trip (but never ran dry, watched it diligently and kept it topped up) so it obviously need a look over - Javiers assessment is the rig needs the Timing Cover gasket replaced and a new oil pump. I'm happy for any prospective buyers to talk directly to Javier, I've told him be 100% fair in his assessment to help with the purchase. Javier could do the work for us, but if any enthusiasts want to tackle it, you get a great rig at a great price. The rig is drivable, but it LEAKS oil when under series load (which is any hill at 65mph in an FJ80)

An accident report shows up on the car fax report, best I can tell, it was a minor drivers side rear quarter panel dent. Everything has checked out perfect on the repair, you can not tell what happened. It's been through numerous pre purchase inspections and no one has even mentioned it.

Modifications:
4” Lift (Iron Pig Offroad)
Old Man Emu Coil Springs [$300] Old Man Emu Shocks [$320]
Old Man Emu Caster Kit [$80
Old Man Emu Damper Kit [$99]
Body Armour - IPOR Skid Plate [$345]
Dual Battery Setup
Washer Bottle Relocation Kit [$47] http://www.sleeoffroad.com/products/products_battery.htm
National Luna Dual Battery Kit [$395] http://www.equipt1.com/companies/Ba...-luna-battery-systems/118188-dual-battery-kit
Auxiliary Battery Tray Kit [$113]
Blue Sea Fuse Box
12v Receptacles wired to trunk
Center Differential Modification
Pin 7 Mod (Allows Center Diff Lock in Hi-Range and disables ABS) [$68] http://www.sleeoffroad.com/technica...5532;
Light Harness: Slee Offroad Driving light Harness [$45] http://www.sleeoffroad.com/products/ harness_main.htm
Roof Rack: Baja Rack FJ80 Specific Roof Rack [$750] http://www.bajarack.com/lc80-ut (Similar to this)
Tires: 33” Firestone Destination AT Light Truck Tire including full size spare
Running Boards Removed - do not come with the vehicle

Maintenance:
Front Knuckle Rebuild (Iron Pig Offroad) Distributor O-Ring (Iron Pig Offroad)
Coolant System Flush and Overhaul (Firestone) New Radiator (Firestone)
Thermostat (Firestone)
Outer Tie Rod Ends (Firestone)
Incomplete section - records from Javier need to be included

Needs Work:
OIL LEAK - Timing Chain Cover gaskets needs replacement
OIL PUMP - oil pump SHOULD be replaced
Chrome Rims are flaking mildly
Front Seats have rips

Mandatory Land Cruiser Idiosyncrasies:
Driver sun visor will not stay up
Stereo speakers are terrible
MPG is not Prius like
Electric windows are slow
CD player inoperable

Last edited:
The rig looks nice. I might stop by Javier's place and see the rig. But I would not be buying, just may wish to have a look.

GLWS. Not usual do I see a local rig for sale on here.

jason77

Adventurer
Do the tent, fridge, awning, etc come w/ the vehicle? I'm offshore, but I might have to give ol "Harvey" a call to pick his brain about this one. Has it had the HG, PHH, and other cruiser related maintenance things done?

Last edited:

Ash

Adventurer
Do the tent, fridge, awning, etc come w/ the vehicle? I'm offshore, but I might have to give ol "Harvey" a call to pick his brain about this one. Has it had the HG, PHH, and other cruiser related maintenance things done?

If you move fast the tent could still be included, quite a bit of interest in it. Regarding the fridge, I love my National Luna! But we could talk about that :)

PHH was done and replaced with the silicon replacement (Javier did that work)
Front Knuckles rebuilt
Every fluid was replaced by Javier - I would drop off the truck, tell him we are going on a 2,000 mile trip and that he should replace/fix anything as needed for this.

I don't think the HG has been done?

jason77

Adventurer
Cool. Thanks for the info. And I will also vouch for Javier and his work. He's the only person that works on my vehicles except me. He knows his way around a Toyota like no one I've ever met, especially landcruisers. He's THE go to guy in the Toyota wheeling community for mechanic work, and has been a good friend for the past 7 or 8 years, to boot.

Ash

Adventurer
Thanks for the input Jason - and I totally agree!

UPDATE: I'm scheduling to have the repair done next week by Javier as all interested parties are going to get this done anyway.

Also, I'm offering a complete deal for $9,000 + repair cost.
You will get:
Modified LX450
Eezi-Awn 1800 T-Top
Baja Rack
ARB awning
National Luna 50L Weekender in Stainless Steel.
Other camping gear that we have in garage
Very nice ARB recovery kit (snatch straps, chain, shackles etc)
Fire extinguisher

Buy it all together an make my life easier! Otherwise I'll sell the truck and tent and take the extras with me :)

Regards
Ash

NL_50L_W.jpg

How long has it been since the knuckle rebuild? At what point was it in Virginia to have Iron Pig do the rebuild?
Trying to determine how long it was on the East Coast in the rust belt.

Any pics of the under carriage or interior?

aniso

Bought!

Looking forward to my first cruiser - I think this will be an excellent first step into overlanding. Thanks again to Ash for showing me the ropes and passing on the rig! It will be well used and cared for.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal