FSJ who has them

sojourner

Observer
Since you're including military here's mine. 68 M725
DSCF0024.JPG

Got it the end of 09' without the motor and am slowing building it back to life.

mesha

Observer
1979 jeep J10 Honcho package. 4 inch lift and 33 inch tires. welded rear. It has about a billion miles on it and runs like a champ. Been in the family since it came off the showroom.

coded 1 and 0s

molly002.jpg

1974.jpg

yep...1974...slowly starting to get it going after years (been on ifsja.org since 2000) of not having places to work on it...moving it around to different storage places....house fires...me moving out of the country...and myself moving to 7 different states....hah...so ya...I have one.

and the most hated image on ifsja

switches.gif

Last edited:

COLOFIREMAN

Observer
I know Preacherman,BKCowGod and my self have them. But who else has a love of thes old wagons and p/us.

Here's my heard.....
The 1973 J4800 truck. Soon to be a dually with a dump bed.
JeepsPics001.jpg

IMAGE_314.jpg

The 1974 J10 with a Buick 455, TH400, and full time 4WD
1979 Cherokee Chief.
JeepsPics003.jpg

cherokeepics5.jpg

1988 Grand Wagoneer.
My20waggy1.jpg

Working on a 4BT swap in it and one tons.
4btswappics2-1.jpg

And it's not a FSJ but it's bigger than all of them.
mycj2.jpg

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
There sure are some beautiful old FSJ's in here. Great thread.

I would LOVE to own a cummins swapped M715 or even say a Dodge M37 or Old Power Wagon someday (I could fill alot of property with all the vehicles "I'd love to own" eh :) ). They're just so much cooler then new trucks these days to me. I love the old "barrel" fenders and what not.

Cheers

Dave

Judoka

Learning To Live
Need a little help!

I just picked up this 1983 Brougham with a 360. The body has NO rust...advantage of living in a desert... abut it runns like crap.. and it has a D20 Rear axle! So, I was wanting to set this thing up for Overland, but I am not sure if I want to invest everything into it if it will not suit my needs. First, may need a new motor, $2700 with 100k warantee. and I am thinking 6 inches of lift for 35s or 4 inches for 33s. I dont trust the D20 with big tires, but have read a lot about strengthening them. May look at D60 swap or D44.
I had a TJ built to the hilt that would climb a wall, but this is for overland travel where I imagine I will need a vehicle that can handle hundreds of miles of sand, and Level 3.0 trails.
So my first questions are:
1:What size lift do I need to run 33s and what size for 35s?
2: Has anyone run the D44 front and D20 rear with big tires with success?
3: How about the Select track T-case? Will it hold up?
4: How about the design of the steering? Do I NEED crossover?

Any help you can offer would be appreciated. I am trying to see if the cost will be worth it or to scrap this rig and start with a different platform.

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
get a dana 44 out of a later model GC. bolts in. no worries. the D20 can be made to work. just not sure if its worth it.

you have a D44 front.

the t-case is pretty good.

crossover would be good, but the stock set-up should be good up to 33" tires. as long as it has been taken care of.

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
Don't jump on the check book just yet... Let me try and answer some of the Q's you have and offer a little opinion.
"runs like crap"...why? All FSJs from about 1980 suffer from a horrendous case of retarded emmissions overkill. They also use some of the worst carbs and the ignition system has much room for improvement! Start with deciding what is the cause before you jump into the need a new engine realm.
Waggys are a tiny bit more work to clear tires due to the rear set of doors coming closer to the wheel well opening. That said, I run a set of 33x10/50-15 BFG MTs on a 4" Rustys spring lift. Steering was an easy fix with a drop pitman arm. You can get the same set up on yours as long as you stick to narrow tires and you may have to trim a tiny fuzz at the openings. Fitting 35s is more work. A lot more kinda...But it can be done several ways....
BJs, Rustys, and I think one other place sells a 6" spring lift and you may or may not get away with the DPA for steering.?. You could do a 4" kit and a 3" body lift but most folks have shunned the old school block raisers...Your preference...
The other way is going to net you the best ride, flex, and lift. And its even cheaper initially...ish. Go SOA and flip the rear shackles. BJs sells Tads kit to do this. But it Will require something more than a DPA to fix the steering. Promise.
As to the axles...You could run 37s on what you got if you wanted to...The rear AMC (not a DANA) model 20 is a much different animal than what is found in its little CJ brothers. The Center sections are the same but the tubes out are all much beefier! And unlike the grenade prone CJ versions...the FSJ 20 has 1 piece axles from the factory. There is no more to really do other than add lockers and certainly REGEAR! They will likely be spinning 2.72 ratio...great if your trying to set a land speed record! Worthless off road...and a true dog once you step up tire sizes.
Final word of advice lest I sound "preachy"..Wander over to the IFSJA site
http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/
everything you have, will, or shouldn't want to know is there...as am I. LOL!
Good luck and welcome to the fold!

I just picked up this 1983 Brougham with a 360. The body has NO rust...advantage of living in a desert... abut it runns like crap.. and it has a D20 Rear axle! So, I was wanting to set this thing up for Overland, but I am not sure if I want to invest everything into it if it will not suit my needs. First, may need a new motor, $2700 with 100k warantee. and I am thinking 6 inches of lift for 35s or 4 inches for 33s. I dont trust the D20 with big tires, but have read a lot about strengthening them. May look at D60 swap or D44.
I had a TJ built to the hilt that would climb a wall, but this is for overland travel where I imagine I will need a vehicle that can handle hundreds of miles of sand, and Level 3.0 trails.
So my first questions are:
1:What size lift do I need to run 33s and what size for 35s?
2: Has anyone run the D44 front and D20 rear with big tires with success?
3: How about the Select track T-case? Will it hold up?
4: How about the design of the steering? Do I NEED crossover?

Any help you can offer would be appreciated. I am trying to see if the cost will be worth it or to scrap this rig and start with a different platform.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3