Fuel mileage for vans

Loco-Nomad

Adventurer
Okay, I was looking at an old 4X4 Chevy van and the guy said it gets 10 mpg. Now is that normal for you guys with the Sportsmobiles and 4x4 vans? That seems a bit crazy to me. I have been iving the van thing some serious thought but this could be a big draw back for me. What are some of you all getting?

Thanks,

Larry

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Depends on how old it is..... 10mpg has got to be pretty close. My van just averaged 13.5mpg on a trip from NC to NY & back. I'm a little higher than most though.

jammyauto

Adventurer
My '05 Diesel Sportsmobile gets 13 to 16mpg depending on my driving and terrain, towing etc.

My '90 VW Syncro subaru gas engine gets about 14 to 17mpg.

Funny thing is that the SMB weighs twice as much and I've gotten my share of comments from folks about what my fuel costs must be but not so when I drive the VW which costs about the same to drive around.

deserteagle56

Adventurer
I just sold a 1976 GMC van that I bought new - drove it for 32 years! 400 small block/Turbo 350 tranny (no OD) and 3.73 gears. And a pretty consistent 12 mpg.
I now have a 2007 Ford Quigley, V-10/Torqueshift tranny and 3.73 gears. And again, a pretty consistent 12 mpg even though it has a .71 OD in the transmission.
From what I've been reading on this site and over on the Dieselstop forums, the diesel vans get a bit better, in some cases 16-18 mpg.
These things are heavy and push a lot of air at speed - not conducive to good fuel mileage. Still, I'd love to have the Cummins that's in my Ram under the hood of the Quigley!

JeepN95YJ

Adventurer
Okay, I was looking at an old 4X4 Chevy van and the guy said it gets 10 mpg. Now is that normal

I would LOVED to have gotten 10 mpg with my old van. 1977 Ford with a 460 only got 4-5 mpg.

versallies07-2003-015_145.jpg

wayne thomas

Fuel

I have a friend with a Ford 7.0 Diesel at 110K mikes he is having to replace injectors at $450.00 each and $650.00 for the lift pump not including labor . You pay for a diesel .

Loco-Nomad

Adventurer
JeepN95YJ,

I see you are in Batavia, Ohio. I'm from Clermont County myself, but moved to Athens County about 2.5 years ago. My family is all down there!

Anyways, I love these vans, any way to improve mileage? I know I can't compare the two but my 2500 Dodge Cummins gets way better mileage and I keep thinking I should just do some mods to the Dodge but I just can't get these FWD vans out of my head!!! Any suggestions or should I just quit whinning.....:eek:

IMG_0617-1.JPGSyncro 2.5 tdi 24mpg at 68 mph Full camper
22 or so at 77mph Do taller tires increase mpg by dropping rpm?
You can factor some saving not needing a motel room when your out and about +you do not have to eat out cook in the van.

Last edited:

tommudd

Explorer
JeepN95YJ,

I see you are in Batavia, Ohio. I'm from Clermont County myself, but moved to Athens County about 2.5 years ago. My family is all down there!

Anyways, I love these vans, any way to improve mileage? I know I can't compare the two but my 2500 Dodge Cummins gets way better mileage and I keep thinking I should just do some mods to the Dodge but I just can't get these FWD vans out of my head!!! Any suggestions or should I just quit whinning.....:eek:

No just keep dreaming about them, I had a 77 Dodge 4WD on 38s back in the day and still wish I had it back! No matter the mileage! I keep looking for the right one, someday ! I know what I want , just finding it !:):)

Off topic used to live in Marietta and then Wellston just down the road from you now. Wife just finished her Masters last year at OU. Love Athens County, WAY better than where I have to live for my job!
Tom

JeepN95YJ

Adventurer
JeepN95YJ,

LOL...Small world.

I have 2500 Dodge V10. Gets about 12-13 mpg empty and about 9-10 towing. I don't mind the mileage after my prior 1999 2500 GMC 454 at 6-7mpg towing and 9 empty and that van.

I REALLY miss the van. I'd like to have another some day. Something like SOCALFJ's or UJoint's. V10 or diesel.

Good luck making a decision.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
This may be a good time to discuss everyone's method of calculating MPG's. Especially with vans that may have larger tires & speedos that may not be 100% accurate.

I fill up till the pump clicks off, get my mileage from my GPS trip computer, then divide the mileage by the gallons. Simple as that, reset, start over.

That seems to be the best way for me as well I run the tank out and switch over to the aux tank before it stalls out.The speeddo is not accurate. at all on the van because of the tires Some vanagon owners say they get 26-29
with smaller diesels. But they are a bit too slow for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven