Full Size Dodge Thread

chet6.7

Explorer
This truck is my first auto trans,68RFE,I miss granny gear.
The E-brake is not very useful on back country roads at slower speeds,it cuts off @1200 RPM,a G56 may work a little better,at least that is my impression from reading the posts of others.
There is a road I like to drive,an old stage coach road that has been paved,but it is narrow,in a gas truck I could use engine braking with occasional taps on the service brakes to keep at a safe speed.
The combination of 68 auto,TC unlocking,no E-brake below 1200,3.42 diff. and 315/70/18 tires allow the truck to roll faster than I would like.
Sure,I can use the service brakes ,but,I think if I had a G56 it would purr down this hill in 3rd/E-brake just like my V10 did.
Most of the time the auto is OK,it gets up to speed on a freeway on ramp better than the NV4500 did.
The Cummins is detuned for the manual,but I suspect more power is delivered to the rear wheels through a manual trans VS a slush box.
I would like to see dyno numbers comparing the two.
There doesn't seem to be a perfect trans,you have to give something up with either one.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Are you set on the g56? I hate the clutch in those things. Even under stock power mine would slip in 3rd and 4th on the highway pulling a load. I can imagine if you tune it a DD clutch will be needed, which would be tough if you ever have a lady drive the truck.

I upgraded to a SBC OKHD single. Smooth,silent operation and won't slip with 125+ hp/300 tq 5th gear direct drive. The camper's always on. Gear rollover will be present though but Delvac 50 or Amsoil MTG which I use minimizes the growl. Poking through parking lots is where I hear it most.
If I got a new one it'd have the Aisin.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I can see this coming. Not really sure how they would enforce it though.

They'll employ infrared sniffers to measure exhaust. No telling but they'll figure it out. Infrastructure crumbling,too many folks on the dole and they're worried about deleted diesel light trucks that operate far more efficiently.

anthonyca

Observer
I can see this coming. Not really sure how they would enforce it though.

Just like with helmet laws. The feds will withhold highway funds unless the states prove they have the testing in place. Finding the people to do the work is easy, a percentage of humans just love to f with other people.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater