Full Size Dodge Thread

Vandy

Adventurer
Here is my fat girl. She's my dd for now but my tow rig. Not sure her fat rear will be on any trails any time soon

I know it's not a full size per say but here is my rig in progress

CE_TX

Thanks!

They are Conti MPT81 335/80R20. I forget the ply but each is rated for 6,700 lbs and run smooth and quiet. No roar like the old 38" XMLs I had. Great tire for anyone looking for something larger.

Thanks for the response. I'm thinking these would be a great tire on some stazworks double beadlock wheels.

Dr. Cornwallis

Adventurer
Some really cool trucks in here. Are the 2015 trucks able to be tuned and deleted? I'm half considering selling the taco and buying a 2015 2500 Ram cummins. The tuning would be entirely for economy and to get rid of the def/EGR/DPF. Debating between the G56 and 68RFE. I understand that the ASAIN tranny is supposed to be a lot beefier but is it really worth the extra $2,000 if I'm not going to be running a retard tune and pulling a bunch of weight?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chet6.7

Explorer
Some really cool trucks in here. Are the 2015 trucks able to be tuned and deleted? I'm half considering selling the taco and buying a 2015 2500 Ram cummins. The tuning would be entirely for economy and to get rid of the def/EGR/DPF. Debating between the G56 and 68RFE. I understand that the ASAIN tranny is supposed to be a lot beefier but is it really worth the extra $2,000 if I'm not going to be running a retard tune and pulling a bunch of weight?

They can be tuned/deleted,check out CF.
As I understand it, the 68RFE can't take any more power in stock form,and the manual will need an aftermarket clutch to handle more power.
You have to go to a 3500 to get the Aisin trans,I have not read any posts from people that are sorry the went with that trans.It does have a lower first gear than the 68,but the reverse gear on the Aisin is not as low as I would like if I was backing out of an off road situation.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
As I understand it, the 68RFE can't take any more power in stock form,and the manual will need an aftermarket clutch to handle more power.
You have to go to a 3500 to get the Aisin trans,I have not read any posts from people that are sorry the went with that trans.It does have a lower first gear than the 68,but the reverse gear on the Aisin is not as low as I would like if I was backing out of an off road situation.

Do you still eliminate the nagging TPMS by going to a 3500?

Dr. Cornwallis

Adventurer

I'll go sign up cummins forum and start reading away. I won't be tuning for any additional power, so I should be fine with the stock clutch if I go manual. I just want to tune so I can get rid of the EPA stuff. I don't know how anyone could need more than the power the stock engine offers.

The reason i asked about the 68RFE is my dad has one in his 07 dually sand that truck is pushing 100k and doing just fine. He has a bully dog tuner on it too so the engine/trans should have come apart s long time ago according to the Internet but it hasn't. He leaves the power level at "stock" always and only put the bd tuner on there to remove the DPF.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
After driving a G-56 for eight yrs,I'd probably go with an auto on a new one.
I see 68re trans on guys trucks all the time holding up well with modest power addition and 35's.
The stock clutch yields a super quiet trans but in the event of a single mass conversion in the future you will have gear rollover at low speeds.

You'll be fine with stock powers level with either transmission.

If you start making big power the G56 has been known to kill itself. The best light truck manual is the ZF-650 from the Ford 6.0 Superduty. It has a center main shaft support and a pump to cool the whole thing AT style. Though even the ZF650 has been known to grenade its O/D and there are issues with its clutch slave. It was also offered for 1 or 2 years in Duramaxes and they too would cook themselves as GM ordered them without the cooling pump.

chet6.7

Explorer
Do you still eliminate the nagging TPMS by going to a 3500?

I believe so..though there is a fix that can be performed by a competent dealer.:squint:
I haven't bothered yet,I still have to scroll through the EVIC every time I start the truck,it adds 2 clicks to the 4 I need to do.
Sometimes I think Ram engineers are the guys that got drunk every night in school.

bloodyWEST

Adventurer
If you are seriously considering a 4th gen with a g56 find one and drive it. Also look at the specs hard. Cummins detunes them when sold with the g56. I believe they are rated at a similar HP but the tq is down graded to 650ft/lbs from the 800 of the auto trans. AND it has severe "torque management" that limits available torque at low RPMs. I special ordered one for my new work truck, and I love the truck, but it's a dog power wise, and took me 10,000 miles to get the hang of. I have 48,000 miles on it and love it. The exhaust brake/g56 are magical together.

I'm sure a programmer could fix this, but I have had minimal success finding good info on it.

bloodyWEST

Adventurer
And a pic to show off my baby
b1fa08a6000010f1da1c7ada4bb1c159.jpg

Cummins_expo

Adventurer
Scotty Serro 4x4 Cummins!

Just picked this up today... Stumbled on it while poking around a used RV lot ......

1996 Scotty Serro Built on a Dodge 3500 4x4 Chassis! Get this only 60k on the clock and stored in an airplane hanger when not it use. I will be doing a build up on it shortly. It is in amazing shape but looks like RVs did in the mid 90s. Going to make it a little more off grid and off road friendly. This is going to replace the current 03 Dodge and 4 wheel camper set up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach