Fuso 4wd question

kerry

Expedition Leader
I was driving on I390 in the vicinity of Rochester NY last week and saw a Fuso 4wd dump truck. It looked new and quite a bit bigger than an FG. Is Fuso making a bigger heavier model truck with 4WD or was it something custom?

Bill Beers

Explorer
medium%20duty%204x4.jpg

Here is a link to the .pdf: http://www.mitfuso.com/pdf/07_FG140.pdf

Here are the vitals.

Chassis: Clutch Organic
Clutch size: 12.8"
Transmission: Standard transmission Mitsubishi 5-speed OD MT w/2-speed transfer case

Optional transmission: n/a
Estimated top speed (mph): 68

Axles
Front: Full floating type, 5,730-lb. capacity
Rear: Full floating type, 9,480-lb. capacity
Final reduction gear: Single-reduction hypoid gear
Ratio: 4.875 MT
Curb weight base model: 5,842 lb.
Turning diameter (min. wheelbase): 37.7 ft.
Tires: (premium) Single front, dual rear
Size: 235/85R16 10PR Traction all positions
Disc wheel: 16" x 6"/6-lug
Steering: Ball-nut-type with integral-type hydraulic power booster Tilt/telescoping steering column with steering lock

Windows/door locks: Power

Suspension
Front: Laminated leaf springs with shock absorbers
Rear: Laminated leaf springs with shock absorbers

Brakes
Service: Drum, hydraulic type with vacuum servo assist with ABS
Parking: Drum/driveline, internal expanding shoe
Exhaust: Vacuum actuated

Fuel tank: 33-gallon side mount
Electrical system : Two 12-volt, maintenance-free batteries – 799 CCA EA
Vehicle safety: Energy-absorbing steering wheel, crush bars in doors,
daytime running lights and ABS standard

haven

Expedition Leader
This is an intriguing report!

So far as I know, the FG140 is the largest 4x4 that Mitsubishi makes. It's possible that the dump truck in question was an FK or FM model with a custom 4x4 system added. Darrin Fink in Wyoming sells an FM chassis converted to 4x4.

Isuzu makes a 4x4 version of its FSS and FTS models, with capacity up to 25,000 lbs. In crew-cab form, these are often used as fire fighting vehicles. These vehicles are not imported to USA.

There's a company in Montana that converts UD medium and heavy trucks to 4x4. Conversions are available on chassis from 20,000 to 33,000 lbs. This conversion would make a very good platform for a dump truck.

Chip Haven

kerry

Expedition Leader
Well, I had just gotten back from Europe and Turkey so perhaps my sense of proportion in trucks was off. But I certainly did a double take. I think I have a clear sense of the size of an FG but this was definitely a truck that a serious excavation company would use and not a landscaper. I didn't have a camera handy at the time. The truck was virtually brand new and as I passed it I saw the front differential clearly.

haven

Expedition Leader
Hmmmm. This is a bit confusing. The Fuso web site in Japan shows an FL model to be a 4x4 member of the Fighter series, with GVWR up to 26,000 lbs. But the photo shows the old style cab.

http://www.mitsubishi-fuso.com/en/products/truck/fl/index.html?b4

When you navigate to the "Products" page, or the page for the FK or FM series, the link to the FL disappears. This makes me think that the FL is an older model, not part of the current vehicle offering.

Still, it's great to know that Fuso did make a 4x4 vehicle with larger carrying capacity, at least in the past.

Chip Haven

able

Isuzu FTS 700 1990 6 speed

Hi all,
I wasn't sure where to put this request for advice.
We are in the process of looking at various 4x4 heavy trucks for an expedition vehicle. Our funds are limited but need something with a large GVM.
We have looked very closely at Isuzu FTS 700 6speed and Hino GT 4x4 around the 1990 age but are leaning towards the FTS 700 because mainly of price. Anyone know much about these or seen any with the camper body workover?
I have asked ATW for some advise (because we think they know whats what) on suspension mods etc. and what we may need.
Has anyone done any distance in an FTS 700 6speed and can we live with it?
Thankyou

engineer

Adventurer
Done 2500klms over rough roads (cape York Australia) in an FTS in 3 days, and my wife hated every minute of it. If you are doing low klms per day, then you wont have a problem. Just don't expect the lady to get exited about big distance little time.......
CapeYork07thOctober2007119.jpg

able

Hi thanks, sounds like good advise.
The image you posted is that what you travelled in?
If so, I could only dream. Nice rig!!!

engineer

Adventurer
Yeah mate, that's the one. Typical Japanese suspension, still using wwII technology. But they are getting better,
Sorry about the short Hijack guys, back on topic.......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven