FYI on some solar panel sales

pods8

Explorer
What's the reason these solar panels are so cheap compared to equivalent products produced by Goal Zero and Powerfilm? The Goal Zero 30 Watt panel is about $280!!!! Goal Zero equipment seems to connect a little easier, but I'll do some work to save this kind of money.... Thoughts?

These panel are running on the cheap side even for today but $280 for a 30watt panel is over $9/watt. The panels you're talking about are more for carrying in a backpack right? There are different cell styles and some can bend more, etc. but in the end if you're getting your watts out and it works in your application what does it matter? Seems like you're paying for different style cells, packaging/frame the cells are mounted, and "neato" factor there. Even with all that $9/watt is ridiculous in my book.

overlander

Expedition Leader
On these framed style panels, can the cells be removed from the frames for mounting to a solid flat surface? I'm interested in at least 60W for my fridge on the top of my rig, and want to mount it to a box on the roof rack that can also be used for sitting from time to time, and not vulnerable from things like hail and such. I would like to flush mount the solar cells/film to the surface permanently, but don't know what removing the frame does to this type of panel.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
On these framed style panels, can the cells be removed from the frames for mounting to a solid flat surface? I'm interested in at least 60W for my fridge on the top of my rig, and want to mount it to a box on the roof rack that can also be used for sitting from time to time, and not vulnerable from things like hail and such. I would like to flush mount the solar cells/film to the surface permanently, but don't know what removing the frame does to this type of panel.

Many PV modules (a.k.a., solar panels) can be ordered without the frames depending on the architectural requirements.

But if they come with frames and you remove the frame, then you will void the warranty.

Could it be done...sure.

Could you sit on it? Hrmm...that's highly doubtful.

They are tempered glass with the cells up against the glass from the back and covered with a layer of a sort of epoxy and then the whole thing is vacuum pressed for curing.

You'd need a mounting that absolutely won't allow any flexing.

Sounds like you'd be better off with the stick-on thin-film Unisolars.

Xterabl

Adventurer
Heh, just went for a pair of 40W panels that I hope to implement in a folding configuration in the gear basket of my 2000 Nissan Xterr. Now...how to run the wires....

pods8

Explorer
Got my 100watt panel yesterday, according to my bathroom scale it weights 19-20lbs which is a little less than what the site listed (25lb was the shipped weight). Looks decent.

Little issue to work out on the charge controller though, I had emailed ahead to inquire it they had the gen 3 sunsaver or not since the site photo was gen 2 but I didn't know if it was just outdated. The reply said they carried gen 3 however I received a gen 2. I sent them an email last night with my previous communication attached and said I did not want a gen 2 and they are to either replace it with a gen 3 or refund that portion of my purchase. To be continued on that part.

2011-12-06_21-02-14_508.jpg

2011-12-06_21-01-25_945.jpg

pods8

Explorer
Solar Blvd doesn't have the Gen 3 at this point and said I can return the Gen 2 unit. I'm currently working some contacts I got from morningstar to see about locating a dealer for the Gen 3 unit.

kclark421

Observer
Picked up my two 40 watt panels, seem well built. I mounted a ss hinge with rivets. Need to pick up and 10 ga, connectors and controller. Pods , thanks for the info on the gen 2 controllers. Here are some pics of the panels on my teardrop trailer blog if anyone is interested. Also tested with a volt meter and each panel is showing right around 20 volts DC from the back of the connector

Last edited:

pods8

Explorer
FYI: I talked to one of mornignstar's distributors who supplies AltE and they said if you request a Gen 3 controller there should be no issue getting one through them, you just need to make sure to specify while morning start is still clearing out Gen 2 stock. I didn't get a chance to call AltE today, I'll follow up when I do.

teotwaki

Excelsior!
This is my first solar purchase so I must ask, is the 80 watt panel a good panel to experiment with?

In a nutshell, yes for an average overland vehicle application.

Normally you sit down and figure out what the amp-hour demand will be and then size the panel. Having said that, a lot of folks here have a second deep cycle battery in the vehicle and one 12v DC fridge that pulls 2 to 3 amps when cycling on every 30 minutes over 24 hours. If good sunshine is available an 80 watt panel will easily recharge the battery. Picking a good solar charge controller is also important.

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Picked up my two 40 watt panels, seem well built. I mounted a ss hinge with rivets. Need to pick up and 10 ga, connectors and controller. Pods , thanks for the info on the gen 2 controllers. Here are some pics of the panels on my teardrop trailer blog if anyone is interested. Also tested with a volt meter and each panel is showing right around 20 volts DC from the back of the connector

pictures? How are they working?

Fireman78

Expedition Leader
I am trying to put together the right combo to keep my travel trailers deep cycle full. These are decent prices for sure

mattm01

Just wanted to add to this. Got my 60W panel last week and wired it up for my Goal Zero setup today. I had to kludge a few Anderson to Goal zero plugs together but no big deal. 60W panel through 20 feet of 12gauge wire to the extreme 350 pack. Hoping to scale this up with another panel or two to work with their upcoming Yeti 1250.

Observations: 1) The WATTS on the meter surprised me. I figured it would be lower, drawn down by the power pack. Makes me wonder what the Extreme 350 is using for a charge controller. I'm new to the Watts Up though so could be reading it incorrectly.
2) Panel doesn't like hard shade at ALL. Some shadows from my house crept onto the panel and the WATTS plummeted. Like 58W to 10W.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1327774509.896855.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1327774509.896855.jpg
    513.9 KB · Views: 16
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1327774546.686257.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1327774546.686257.jpg
    517.2 KB · Views: 15
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1327774582.705679.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1327774582.705679.jpg
    509.8 KB · Views: 16
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1327774622.214328.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1327774622.214328.jpg
    518 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

teotwaki

Excelsior!
The numbers that you show for your 60 watt panel are exceeding the specs for short circuit current which is the maximum the panel should put out. (a good thing!)

Max Power: 60W
Open Circuit Voltage (Voc): 21.6V
Short Circuit Current (Isc): 3.86A
Maximum Power Voltage (Vmp): 17.2V
Maximum Power Current (Imp): 3.49A

Your numbers are actually closer to an 80 watt panel

Max Power: 80 W
Open Circuit Voltage (Voc): 21.6V
Short Circuit Current (Isc): 5.17A
Optimum Operating Current (Imp): 4.65A
Optimum Operating Volatage (Vmp): 17.2V

If I'm readiing this correctly you got an 80 Watt panel for a 60 watt panel's price :elkgrin:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy