G-Wagen Ambulance camper conversion!

Devil1964

VermontOverland, that's an offer I can't refuse, cheers!

I'm currently in Mexico (sans truck, it had to stay behind as I need to make some more mods to it) so I'll post more pics when I return to NS... when the snow starts to melt, perhaps? :sombrero:

Sounds great! Current plan is to leave Maine on Wed., May 19 and be in Lower Whitehead sometime on Thurs. the 20th. Moose is that Sat and Sun. Love it if you could bring the G camper over and hang with us perhaps on Friday the 21st.

Devil1964

Here's some pics of the cab interior, including the battery/electrical system and custom-made battery box. The seats are the original ones which I believe are made by Recaro. Not too bad for comfort, although we haven't done much long-distance travelling yet!

Attachments

• GD_Batt.jpg
    GD_Batt.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 173
  • GD_box.jpg
    GD_box.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 168
  • GD_cab.jpg
    GD_cab.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 205

haven

Expedition Leader
DreamingofExpeditions wrote
"... proven older than 21 years of age for the complete vehicle, no restrictions ..."

Thanks for the link. 21 years old may be the cutoff for EPA, but NHTSA has additional rules about safety equipment that allow non-conforming vehicles to be imported only if they are at least 25 years old. So the net effect is you either pay to have a newer vehicle upgraded to USA safety standards (expensive things like bumpers, side impact bars, airbags and so on), or you wait until the vehicle is 25 years old.

Scroll down toward the bottom of the following document, and you'll see that importers have successfully petitioned NHTSA to allow importation of many models of G-Wagen.
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/import/graymarket_RI_list010410.pdf

At least you can find out what changes need to be made to successfully import a 1990s G-wagen, thanks to the work done by Europa International and others who stepped up when Mercedes decided not to import the G-Wagen.

Chip Haven

Devil1964

I resprayed some of the scuffed panels and cheered them up with some home-made vinyl decals. I realize now I should have done the spraywork before I started fitting it out! :yikes:

Attachments

• circs1.jpg
    circs1.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 156
  • circs2.jpg
    circs2.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 207

haven

Expedition Leader
Here's a cautionary tale for people who are not citizens of USA and plan to drive from Canada south through USA to Mexico and Central America. This thread describes how a couple from Canada was denied entry to USA because they didn't have a return ticket, and didn't have jobs.

http://expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32646

It's still not clear why a return ticket was needed, since they were driving their expedition vehicle and planned to return the same way. And there should have been some way to show a bank balance or post a bond to guarantee that the couple were not trying to enter the USA to get on welfare (not to mention that Canada offers much more generous support for people looking for work).

In the end, this couple had to ship their vehicle from Canada to Buenos Aires, fly down, and drive back.

It would be a shame to do a lot of work to prepare for a lengthy trip, and be stopped on the first day as you tried to cross from Canada into USA.

Outback

Explorer
Then on your way back through the U.S. you could stop by my house and sell me your G Wambulance and I will fly you back home to Canada......:rolleyes::26_7_2:

Devil1964

Hey guys, the camper is up for sale (I've posted in the For Sale section here). Had a fair bit of interest but I guess these specialized vehicles are "slow burners"... a part of me really doesn't want to sell it so it's good either way.... ;) Thanks for all your interest in the conversion!!

Edit: SOLD!! Sad to see it go, but on to the next one in 2012...

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy