Garmin 60CSx Mount in 05+ Tacoma

barlowrs

Explorer
OK first off, I want to give credit for this one, as I cannot take any credit. This idea was previously done by “DblD” in this thread: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/93807-ram-gps-mount.html

I really like his idea, so I stole it and took a few steps further. So, on to the write-up:

The Parts needed:
RAM Mount Garmin 60CSx Astro Cradle RAM-HOL-GA12U Model: RAM-HOL-GA12U
RAM Mount Diamond Plate with 1 inch Ball RAM-B-238U Model: RAM-B-238U
RAM Mount 0.25 inch NPT Thread with Single 1 inch Ball Model: RAM-B-218-1U
RAM Mount Short Arm B-Socket RAM-B-201U-A Model: RAM-B-201U-A
Garmin Cigarette Lighter Adapter Model: 010-10085-00
7/16 Fine Thread Bolt or threaded Rod
6 mm metric tap
6mm metric bolt or threaded rod

Steps:
First thing was to make the ballmount that interfaces with the trucks “ohh $hit” handle. This is where me and DblDs methods were a bit different. The threads that the ballmount comes with is 7/16 fine thread. I took a small threaded rod, cut it to length (about ¾” long) so that it will thread in and sit flush inside the ballmount. If you don’t have threaded rod, just cut the head off a bolt. Next, while it was still on the lathe, I drilled her right down the center and tapped it with a 6mm tap. DO NOT DRILL AND TAP ALL THE WAY THROUGH (make it a blind hole) otherwise your metric bolt will just thread into your mount and disappear before mating with the truck.
I then took my metric bolt (or threaded rod) chopped the head off and threaded it in so that it was about an inch or so sticking out:

IMG_3136.jpg

Add some locktite and you are good to go
Now, remove the a-pillar from the truck (very easy..two bolts) so that you can route the charger cable. While it is off, Drill a hole to run the wire out so that it can reach your GPS. Then re-install the a-pillar using the new ballmount in place of the lower “ohh $hit” handle mounting bolt location:
IMG_3131.jpg

In the picture above, you can see the charger wire going through the hole in the a-pillar.

Now, add the small arm and cradle and orient it how you like:

IMG_3132.jpg

Next was to wire it, you can easily keep the cigarette lighter plug and just use that, however, I wanted to hardwire mine into my auxiliary fuse block. To do I routed it into my engine bay through the grommet in the fire wall. I then cut the cig lighter plug off so that it is just the wires.

NOTE THAT A 1.5A FUSE IS CONTAINED IN THE CIG LIGHTER PLUG, SO YOU MUST FUSE IT EXTERNALLY IF YOU REMOVE THE PLUG

I then routed it to the fuse block, cut it to length and added standard ring terminals:

IMG_3134.jpg

All that is left is to plug it into the fuse block and fuse it. I used a 2A fuse (I will try to find a proper 1.5 “ fuse that will fit later, but 2A is the smallest I had laying around):

IMG_3135.jpg

And the final product, as seen from the driver’s seat:
IMG_3133.jpg

DblD

Adventurer
-- WOW --

Talk about taking it to another level!
Excellent work Robert. Makes the J.B. Weld look a little hokey (about what you could expect from a S. MO hillbilly:))

I’ve been running my GPS in the same spot for about 4 months with no problems. I think you’ll like the location.

View from my drivers seat:

fullsize.jpg

dd

barlowrs

Explorer
-- WOW --

Talk about taking it to another level!
Excellent work Robert. Makes the J.B. Weld look a little hokey (about what you could expect from a S. MO hillbilly:))

I’ve been running my GPS in the same spot for about 4 months with no problems. I think you’ll like the location.

View from my drivers seat:

fullsize.jpg

dd

haha, nothing wrong with J.B Weld! I am a redneck farmboy....trust me, I have used my share of duct tape and JB Weld..haha.

Without your original write-up, I would have never thought of this location for it. Thanks!

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
I like the job you did - very clean installation - and sturdy. I tried mine (Garmin Colorado) in that location for a while but didn't care for the obstructed view when off road and having to use my left hand to mess with the menu - not very skilled ambidexterity. I mount it with the window suction mount below the rear view mirror now, but sometimes it loses suction and you know the rest of the drill...

Let us know your thoughts of the utility of your GPS location for view and using the menu when you get some time with it. It may influence my decision on where to locate it. Thanks!

barlowrs

Explorer
I like the job you did - very clean installation - and sturdy. I tried mine (Garmin Colorado) in that location for a while but didn't care for the obstructed view when off road and having to use my left hand to mess with the menu - not very skilled ambidexterity. I mount it with the window suction mount below the rear view mirror now, but sometimes it loses suction and you know the rest of the drill...

Let us know your thoughts of the utility of your GPS location for view and using the menu when you get some time with it. It may influence my decision on where to locate it. Thanks!

Because I ended up using teh short RAM arm and the 60Csx is pretty skinny, it actually doesnt ubstruct the view at all. The main body is directly infront of the A-pillar so its not blocking anything. The antenna does stick a bit into view, but its like an inch tall, so no big deal.

As for operation. Typically when Off road, i just have it set to display topos/trails so there is not really any messing around with it involved, however, I don't have any problems operating it with left hand for simple things. If its a big task I am doing, I will stop and do it with the right hand.

MrGrimm

Mall Crawler
I have mine mounted close to the same location but mine is on the little corner of the window/door. I like how yours is mounted though!

IMG_6318.jpg

IMG_6320.jpg

ywen

Explorer
Hmm I don't get it. I have a RAM window suction mount for my Garmin 60C. Seems sturdy enough. What is the advantage of mounting it via the bolt? Have you reached a point where the suction wasn't adequate?

barlowrs

Explorer
Hmm I don't get it. I have a RAM window suction mount for my Garmin 60C. Seems sturdy enough. What is the advantage of mounting it via the bolt? Have you reached a point where the suction wasn't adequate?

Nope, suction probably works just fine, I have never tried it, but I like having positive mounting on things (bolted down), guess it's just a personal preference. I cannot comment on suction mounts as I have never tried them, but from reviews, they seem to wrok just fine as well, I just took a different route

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
I have a Garmin suction mount for my Colorado and it periodically loses suction - annoying when the unit and wire drops in your lap or floor on the road!
CIMG0733.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
__kmg__