Give me the truth, are Land Rovers complete crap?

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
Look, don't want to start a flame war here, but if you read my post correctly I never said Toyota lacked parts availability, only that they tend to be expensive, which in the EU is a fact.
Saying that LRs have very good parts availability doesn't implicate that Toyota does not, simple logic here.

I happen to be a big Toyota fan, only don't have one because the ones I like, 70s and 80s, are too expensive here, as are parts.

Look who I originally responded to

backstop

Look who I originally responded to
OK -I stand by my comments. In the UK and Europe in general, Toyota spares ARE more expensive - by quite a margin - than those for most LRs. There are fewer "pattern parts" and they tend to be a lot less accessible in the remoter places we can get to. In addition, LRs ARE easier to fix - at least to cobble together a "get-you-home-fix" - than most of the other vehicles one is likely to encounter in those places. This is my opinion, based on some experience of Morocco, Western Sahara and Eastern Europe. LRs brak down more often (reliability), from what I've seen, but not for long and I like the warm and fuzzy feeling of knowing that I can fix just about anything that might go wrong - short of a wrecked engine - myself (serviceability). I prefer the latter to the former. My opinion.

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
OK -I stand by my comments. In the UK and Europe in general, Toyota spares ARE more expensive - by quite a margin - than those for most LRs. There are fewer "pattern parts" and they tend to be a lot less accessible in the remoter places we can get to. In addition, LRs ARE easier to fix - at least to cobble together a "get-you-home-fix" - than most of the other vehicles one is likely to encounter in those places. This is my opinion, based on some experience of Morocco, Western Sahara and Eastern Europe. LRs brak down more often (reliability), from what I've seen, but not for long and I like the warm and fuzzy feeling of knowing that I can fix just about anything that might go wrong - short of a wrecked engine - myself (serviceability). I prefer the latter to the former. My opinion.

Not really
http://cruiserworld.eu
http://www.milneroffroad.com/toyota-uk/land-cruiser
http://m.bestpartstore.co.uk/toyota-land-cruiser
http://www.roughtrax4x4.com

Land cruisers are extremely easy to work on. But once again. I'm not bashing land rovers. I like them both

rlynch356

Defyota
Ok, I own 3 Land Rovers currently, and I regret selling everyone of my Land Cruisers
I would regret selling the defender but that's different

I think I've said enough

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DorB

Adventurer
recent debate i came accross regarding RR/LR3
"Recently, after replacing the battery, the suspension system began to malfunction, the vehicle would not level anymore."

Landrover mechanic support:
"a few questions:
1. Have you replaced the rear bulbs? it is Known, at least for Disco 3 and Range Sport that it causes problems like you describe if you dont use OEM bulbs.
2. What messages do you see the screen after the turning the ignition switch?
3. Try to check the microswitch of the brake pedal. There should be 2. If one is foulty, it makes the wrong readout on a computer, and leed to malfunction like you described.

customer:
In addition, for several days, the compressor failed to work, and now, the fornt Suspension collapced, while the rear stand tall.."

This is the second Disco3 that i've herd with these issues, The first one in a friend of mine.
seriously?!
Off-road\overland Truck disabled due to the use of non-OEM bulb?

Suspension system got screwed because of the back light or brake sensor?

seriously?!

We could not be more serious! Known issue and I have experienced both. Difference is, I am aware of the issues and symptons and have ways (like others do) to get around it should it occur again.

Bottom line is it has to do with the computer thinking the truck is in a dangerous situation so it puts it in safe mode. LR4 does not have these issues from what I know. Also, the 2016 Merc G wagon appears to have many serious computer problems that will put it in safe mode. My Aussie military mates who now drive G-Wagons over Defenders drove 80% of their time on Hawaii in safe mode because they could not fix, software clear, or get replacement parts that kept the vehicle in safe mode.

As you say, pretty crazy an overland vehicle of any kind could have problems like this! RR/LR3 generation is known for a long time and most of us who own them and operate them as intended have no issues and if we do, we know how to fix our vehicle to get it going again.

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
Really interesting thread to read up on. There's always the arguments "Land Rovers are crap, Jeeps are crap, Dodge is crap, Ford is crap, etc.....", and in a way it's really all just a bunch of bull and brand loyalists tarnishing each other IMO. Personally I've always liked LRs but mainly Defenders and D2's. My dad used to own a D2 that was fully loaded (2002?) and was just absolutely beautiful, of coarse that's in the eyes of 6 year old. My dad got rid of it after putting 30k miles on it, much to my disappointment at the time. Every time I ask him about it and why he got rid of it he says it was going to have a bunch of problems. Was he right? Was he wrong? Maybe, maybe not. I was just hoping he would keep it long enough to pass it down to me when I started to drive:D. Oh well...

That being said, I read or heard something (don't remember where) about a year ago talking about LRs and their reliability. A guy said compare the yearly commute of a European to an American, they are completely different. Americans drive anywhere from 10k-20k a year on average while Europeans only go 5k or so (someone please confirm that, I just know it is far less). The guy went on to say that LRs are built around the yearly maintenance schedule of a European versus an American, therefore Americans often drive far beyond normal maintenance schedules. You neglect maintenance and your vehicle will fail you. Is this why LRs are labeled crap among some people because of their own faults? I have no idea, I just know that according to people that are devoted to the green oval they are very reliable but require dedicated maintenance. Sounds relatively right based on the responses in this thread.

In the meantime, I will cruise around in my Jeep and happily drool over any well built LRs I see road or trail.

-G

Ray_G

Explorer
That being said, I read or heard something (don't remember where) about a year ago talking about LRs and their reliability. A guy said compare the yearly commute of a European to an American, they are completely different. Americans drive anywhere from 10k-20k a year on average while Europeans only go 5k or so (someone please confirm that, I just know it is far less). The guy went on to say that LRs are built around the yearly maintenance schedule of a European versus an American, therefore Americans often drive far beyond normal maintenance schedules. You neglect maintenance and your vehicle will fail you. Is this why LRs are labeled crap among some people because of their own faults? I have no idea, I just know that according to people that are devoted to the green oval they are very reliable but require dedicated maintenance. Sounds relatively right based on the responses in this thread.

In the meantime, I will cruise around in my Jeep and happily drool over any well built LRs I see road or trail.

-G

So trolling in this thread aside, as you note by brand loyalists, I don't think the notion that the maint lifecycle or intervals being shorter is a primary reason they are 'unreliable.' Couple of thoughts:
-In my experience Land Rovers are like many other complex machines (i.e. tanks); they like to be flogged-and then maintained. That doens't mean to be driven without mechanical sympathy but rather they do like to be used, and then they appreciate being looked at to ensure all those interconnected systems are still proper.
-Given their complexity, and the sometimes spotty record of quality control from the factory it is impossible not to also attribute their reputation to the Consumer Reports phenomenon; what I mean is if I was someone who bought a new Range Rover or Land Rover for $75k and something went wrong, damn right it is going back to the dealer-and all those complex systems coupled with drunk (or high) factory Fridays or hungover Mondays means a lot of folks spend $$$ on a truck that doesn't have Teutonic craftmanship ala other brands.

All told does that make them unreliable? Depends on perspective. Also depends on application. Like everything else on this board, it depends is the usual starting point. Unless we're talking 80 series Land Cruiser, in which case there really is nothing further needed to discuss!

A.J.M

Explorer
5K annual mileage? Really? I mean, come on. Don't be so bloody stupid.

10-15k a year more like. We do need to drive around here as well.
Land rover have for years in the 80s/90s and early 00s had to deal with the lingering BL days of poor quality, lax quality control and machines.
Plus being passed from owner to owner, who wouldn't put in the badly needed investment to bring things up to scratch.

That didn't get properly done till Ford took over and went mad with the cash trying to bring it up to scratch.
Tata have been continuing this cash flow and it should be making a difference, assuming the parts themselves aren't being made from poor quality materials in the first place.

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
5K annual mileage? Really? I mean, come on. Don't be so bloody stupid.

Really didn't mean to come across as "stupid". Like I said, I heard it from someone/somewhere, I honestly have no idea if they were European, and I sure as hell have never been to Europe to even remotely understand how you people operate over there. The information seemed somewhat legitimate therefore I cared to share. I even said "please confirm that" to make sure what I heard was correct and whether or not someone could enlighten me on the truth. Thanks for giving me the facts, absolutely no reason to call me "bloody stupid". Hardly been around green ovals to even get the opportunity to pop the hood and inspect the engine.

Take care

-G

A.J.M

Explorer
Ifs not a green oval thing though.
5000 miles a year is 416 miles per calander month. Or 96.15 per week of the year.
Did that not seem rather low?

2 minutes on google could have shown your source as being full of crap and not somewhat legitimate.

Didn't mean to be rude and don't take it being such, it's more dumbfounded surprise at someone thinking the figure was accurate.

KMET

Adventurer

seriously?!

Crazy huh?

Still wouldn't call'em crap though. At least our airbags wont kill us...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DQblues