Gladiator Pop-Up Pass Through Camper Build

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
Thanks for the great pictures. Your build looks awesome! I definitely don't have sewing skills, but I'm building my courage to give it a try.

Do you mind me asking what the tent cost you to have made?

Thanks Mules. PM'ed with some details.

Mules

How much does that weigh now?
I trimmed some fiberglass from the top opening and added some bondo and primer. Guessing it's just shy of 170 lbs now. I'd like to keep it below 250 lbs when I'm done. Still needs interior insulated/trimmed walls and the upstairs bed frame.

Does anyone have some good ideas for the top bed frame? Plywood is cheap, easy, and fast, but maybe a bit heavy. I was thinking about making three rectangular planks from aluminum composite and aluminum square tubing for the bed. I can't weld it but I can use aluminum solder and screws. I've got every other material in this, I might as well throw in some aluminum. Any ideas?

Last edited:

ITTOG

I am not sure about my bed platform either. Like you I have thought about acm but afraid that is just asking for moisture issues. So now I am thinking about thin wood or the pads made to prevent moisture build up. Also, I am leaning towards spray foam insulation which would also help support the mattress.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Mules

Since you are fiberglassing use 1" xps and make a SIP, should be about .75lb per sq ft
Kevin
What a great idea! I'm guessing that would be the lightest panel I could make. I could face the 1" foam with the same fiberglass reinforced panels I've been using (I might have enough left over to make it). What glue should I use with expanded polystyrene?

Do you think a 1" SIP would be self supporting for a 48" width, or would I need some cross beams?

The Artisan

Adventurer
What a great idea! I'm guessing that would be the lightest panel I could make. I could face the 1" foam with the same fiberglass reinforced panels I've been using (I might have enough left over to make it). What glue should I use with expanded polystyrene?

Do you think a 1" SIP would be self supporting for a 48" width, or would I need some cross beams?
The skin is what creates the strength. I would do 19oz you could also do 2" foam it would be about 1lb per sq
S glass is stronger just wetlay direct to your xps with epoxy resin, not polyester
Kevin

Mules

The skin is what creates the strength. I would do 19oz you could also do 2" foam it would be about 1lb per sq
S glass is stronger just wetlay direct to your xps with epoxy resin, not polyester
Kevin
You had me with SIP, then you had to mention wet lay fiberglass:(. I'm a bit worn out on fiberglassing and sanding for now, but it would be strong.

I came across this supplier of honeycomb panels. A 3/4" 4x8 panel is about $200. Not bad, but the shipping is another $200.

Here's a video on strength of a honeycomb core panel vs. plywood. Half the weight and almost as strong as 3/4" plywood.

Last edited:

The Artisan

Adventurer
You had me with SIP, then you had to mention wet lay fiberglass:(. I'm a bit worn out on fiberglassing and sanding for now, but it would be strong.

I came across this supplier of honeycomb panels. A 3/4" 4x8 panel is about $200. Not bad, but the shipping is another $200.

Here's a video on strength of a honeycomb core panel vs. plywood. Half the weight and almost as strong as 3/4" plywood.
Yep light weight but cost a fortune to ship panels

Yep light weight but cost a fortune to ship panels
I make my own panels with premade skins and a special formulated glue that works with my products
Kevin

Mules

This is a great subject! What cushion, foam, or mattress should I get for the top bed? I would love to hear from our experienced audience. My top mattress needs to be about 48 to 50" x 75" (a 3/4 full, or RV mattress). I like the mattress below, but I need it cut into three pieces like the bottom picture.Screen Shot 2022-01-27 at 7.02.04 AM.pngScreen Shot 2022-01-27 at 7.06.46 AM.png

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
havanother