Gladiator Pop-Up Pass Through Camper Build

highwest

This is a great subject! What cushion, foam, or mattress should I get for the top bed? I would love to hear from our experienced audience. My top mattress needs to be about 48 to 50" x 75" (a 3/4 full, or RV mattress). I like the mattress below, but I need it cut into three pieces like the bottom picture.
After years of chasing various budget-friendly foam solutions in our truck shell, tent trailer, and Flippac, everything we tried, from firm to soft, left us with sore hips and shoulders. I finally bit the bullet and purchased an Exped Megamat Duo air/foam mattress, it’s really great. Inflate it less than you think and no more sore hips and shoulders. The only other solution I’d like to try is the Froli spring system + foam, but is not compatible with our Flippac.

97heavyweight

I use to have an exped mat and I loved it, but it kept getting pinched between the two bed panels and eventually wore a hole in it. I now have custom cut foam plus covers and two of the pieces double as my couch cushions. I got the covers from coversandall.com and the foam from The Foam Factory. I went with outdoor furniture covers and the foam is the HD36 regular. It's not terrible, but not great either. I'm going to try an insulated fitted sheet that I have to add some cushion.

Mules

Three votes for the Exped Megamat Duo and a suggestion for Froli (looks interesting). Any other suggestions.Screen Shot 2022-01-27 at 9.25.25 AM.pngScreen Shot 2022-01-27 at 9.29.17 AM.png

Last edited:

CoyoteThistle

Adventurer
I made my own with 2" of medium density cushion foam plus 2" of perforated latex foam. I'm a side sleeper with a bad hip and I sleep very comfortably.

Mules

I made my own with 2" of medium density cushion foam plus 2" of perforated latex foam. I'm a side sleeper with a bad hip and I sleep very comfortably.
I'm an old water/snow skier, mountain biker, motocross, climber, parachuter, and have too many broken parts to remember (hip, neck, arm, ribs, etc). My broken body is already thanking you for all the suggestions for a comfortable mattress. Keep them coming.

WanderingBison

Loved my Exped MegaMat Duo but for extended travel or full time travel, it’s not ideal. You really need to inflate it/top it up every day or two, and because it’s inflated temperature changes and large elevation changes affect its comfort level.

That said, I still haven’t found a great full time replacement.

I also have Froli springs and while it helps with comfort and condensation, the mattress you put on top of it is key.

Not sure this helped - if you will take down the bed every day or two and/or this is a weekend/a few weeks a year, you can’t go wrong with an Exped MegaMat.

If it’s for full time living or long term travel, I’m still searching for the best solution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ITTOG

I take it you are using light weight material given you are using that sewing machine (assuming it is a standard household one based on the looks but I am no expert).

If you don't mind give us an overview of the material.

Mules

The material is a 9 oz marine grade canvas very similar to sunbrella. I've got the UV resistant matching thread. So far, my old Kenmore cuts through it like butter! Had me worried though. Next up is 30 gage windows :oops:. I'll do a sample, and if my little machine can't hack it, I'll leave out the windows for now.

Mules

Four layers of material and the vinyl window. My little Kenmore has found it’s match. I finished one window. Not too bad as long as you don’t look too close to the stitch spacing. I would drop down to a thinner window next time.AD9F05B3-6EBB-4519-A501-C33828A562F9.jpegE9D49528-3CC5-412A-AD16-C82EEF52FD52.jpeg7FBFA33A-D1FB-4B79-BBAD-D273AE021DCD.jpeg7B8344EB-EEE7-4790-B3F4-1028F94F4A4C.jpeg852C5496-79E4-422A-8D66-21CA43668417.jpeg6B80B48D-C972-4604-90B4-9328ECF1F624.jpegFDEA8E61-9B98-40DD-92CC-A4933A4988A4.jpeg76C2BC8B-F661-4117-9664-4BF2DB4E02E9.jpegFD028CCC-BAE2-4637-A1C3-CD6619388996.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy